Reloading EverythingLoad DataRepackboxInline Fabrication
WidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision

Thread: Stevens Model 235 shotgun

Boolit Bub

Stevens Model 235 shotgun

Hi all:
    I just purchased an old Stevens Model 235 hammer shotgun. It is the later version. I couldn't pass up the deal. It is in pretty good condition and I was told that it shoots well. It had some external areas of rust that I've cleaned up but I'd like to get into the innards of the old gun. I don't want to just start removing screws. I would like to find detailed instructions showing the proper sequence of disassembly. Numrich has a schematic that shows all of the pats but no disassembly instructions. I checked YouTube and no luck there. If anyone has any info on this it would really be appreciated. I'm not a gunsmith but a like to take things apart and most of the time get them back together with no left over parts.
    Thanks,
    RJ

Boolit Master

Try Numerich for an exploded view!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by deltaenterprizes View Post
    Try Numerich for an exploded view!
    I have that but it is not a disassembly procedure. It just shows the parts and their part numbers. I need to know in what order do I disassemble the gun. Thanks for getting back to me.
    rj

That's a good shotgun. The only shotgun my dad had until the 1980s was a 30" 12ga Stevens 235. I could roll jackrabbits way out there and squirrels way up there with it, but flying game was fairly safe. After a while the buttstock splintered out enough to restock it. The Bishop replacement buttstock had less drop and a recoil pad and I could hit dove with it more often. My brother still has it- us four boys called it "Old two row".
    I never had to take it apart, but I think the access to the lockwork is from the rear of the action and the bottom plate.
    I've seen exactly two- other than Dad's- in my life- they aren't very common.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    That's a good shotgun. The only shotgun my dad had until the 1980s was a 30" 12ga Stevens 235. I could roll jackrabbits way out there and squirrels way up there with it, but flying game was fairly safe. After a while the buttstock splintered out enough to restock it. The Bishop replacement buttstock had less drop and a recoil pad and I could hit dove with it more often. My brother still has it- us four boys called it "Old two row".
    I never had to take it apart, but I think the access to the lockwork is from the rear of the action and the bottom plate.
    I've seen exactly two- other than Dad's- in my life- they aren't very common.

This one is in good shape and I plan on shooting it with mild loads but I sure would like to get into it. I don't want to do a detailed disassembly of every part. Just want to open it up. I'll look at what you suggest and see what I can do. It must be a solid shotgun if your brother still shoots it after all those years.
    Thanks,
    rj

I'm not expert on these old guns, but you might want to stay away from steel shot with it. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by hoodat View Post
    I'm not expert on these old guns, but you might want to stay away from steel shot with it. jd
    Absolutely keep the demon steel shot out of the old classic doubles.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stevens 235.jpg  
    "When the homeland is in danger, everything is allowed, except not to defend it."

Gral. Don José de San Martin.

Boolit Grand Master
    I never had one apart, I'm not even sure I ever held a Stevens Model 235.

Most shotguns start the tear down by taking the stock off. If after doing that, it seems to much for you then clean and lube what you can see and put the stock back on.

Digital pictures help a lot on unknown teardowns of most mechanical systems, automotive vacuum systems and wiring too.

Robert

Boolit Bub
    Thanks guys for the tips and suggestions. I have a copy of that Numrich parts list. I'm trying to look at as a take down list. Match the screws on the diagram with the ones on the gun. I've keep looking at the gun and I think I can get the bottom plate off. If the innards look good (no rust) I'll just wash it out with mineral spirits, oil it up, Put it back on and call it good. This is going to be my weekend project. I'll let you know how it turns out. And I've never had any interest in steel shot. I hate it.
    rj