Inline FabricationRotoMetals2WidenersReloading Everything
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quickload and cast bullets

Boolit Grand Master

Wolfdog91

When and if you try those loads at longer ranges than 49/50 yards don't be surprised if you get very, very poor accuracy. I seriously doubt you will get linear expansion at 100 yards. In your 7" twist barrel that cast bullet at 2400 fps is pushing a lot of RPM, way over the threshold. You may not believe the RPM Threshold is real but test that 2400+ load at 100 yards and find out.

To be honest, a 2 1/2" five shot group at 49/50 yards from the bench with that rifle may be relatively "fast" but the precision is pretty bad. That "flyer" you discounted was telling you something.

However, if all your going to shoot is 49/50 yards then the accuracy may be "good enough'.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Quote Originally Posted by mehavey View Post
    You have digital calipers ? (I assume so if you're measuring ogive distances)
    (If not, that's the fourth most useful tool right after (1) hammer, (2) screwdriver, (3) drill....
    Yep digital all the way. Actually loading some stuff up for a little range trip. Should be fun lol
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Wolfdog91

When and if you try those loads at longer ranges than 49/50 yards don't be surprised if you get very, very poor accuracy. I seriously doubt you will get linear expansion at 100 yards. In your 7" twist barrel that cast bullet at 2400 fps is pushing a lot of RPM, way over the threshold. You may not believe the RPM Threshold is real but test that 2400+ load at 100 yards and find out.

To be honest, a 2 1/2" five shot group at 49/50 yards from the bench with that rifle may be relatively "fast" but the precision is pretty bad. That "flyer" you discounted was telling you something.

However, if all your going to shoot is 49/50 yards then the accuracy may be "good enough'.
    Actually my very best group was 1.3" @50 and was only doing 2150fps. That's the one I'm working on currently. Actually I'm loading up 30 rn to do some 10rd groups to see what happens
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

1.3" @50 and was only doing 2150fps.
    That's w/ cast?
    (What bullet/what load?)

K... (my bad)
    I'll note that 1.5 (minus minus) MOA w/ cast 223 is not (too) difficult
    and at reasonable 2,500 fps or so.

I guess I ought to ask about lube used (hopefully not in the you-tube as I can't get to it tight now)

Boolit Grand Master

I don't reload cast for an AR so I can't comment on that, but I have run cast in my Garand several times and many cast for my .223 single shot rifle. No problems. One major problem I've seen in casting, reloading and shooting is newer reloaders listen to too many opinions, get confused, and overthink simple matters. K.I.S.S.!
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Quote Originally Posted by mehavey View Post
    That's w/ cast?
    (What bullet/what load?)
    Yes sir .
    Lee.224r 55gr
    100% clipon wheel weight alloy double water qunched. Sized to .225 gas checked 20-21 bhn gas checked powder coated with smokes traffic purple baked on @ 375 degress for 20min. Weight sperated 56.1-56.5 grains. Cci no400 primer lake city 5.56 brass head stamps 2012-2018.
    Four thousands shoulder bump measure with Hornady bump gauge
    Was running 2.005" CBTO but I just relaxed I added 0.0010" instead of substracting it to give me my 10 thousands jump. Any how 1.985" is going to be my new CBTO. And 18.2 grains of accurate 2015 gave me a average of 2150 fps 31.60 standard deviation and a four shot group ( pulled a bullet and couldn't do a five ,searching dept too long) of 1.3540"
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    I don't reload cast for an AR so I can't comment on that, but I have run cast in my Garand several times and many cast for my .223 single shot rifle. No problems. One major problem I've seen in casting, reloading and shooting is newer reloaders listen to too many opinions, get confused, and overthink simple matters. K.I.S.S.!
    Eeeeegh I've taken bits and bobs from everyone. Fclass shooters ,regular bench rest, 3gun shooters, basic casters,advanced casters long range hunters, guys who are making big batches with good average results ect. I try to absorb all of that take what I feel would help experiment with it . It's helped me alot more. Woks better for my brain then kiss honestly
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Banned

I can't speak for all calibers, bullets etc... But I have a good amount of IMR 8208XBR and wanted to try it with my 150 grain cast bullet for my Winchester 30-30. I sent a message to Hodgdon and received a reply that I can use that powder and to use the start load data for 150 grain j-word bullet from the Hornady 9th Edition. One disclaimer, I use PCed cast bullets.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12