MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2Load Data
Reloading Everything

Thread: Revolver grips for SAA style guns.

Boolit Buddy

Revolver grips for SAA style guns.

Is there a decent market for revolver stocks or stock kits? For single action guns like Blackhawks or pietta/uberti reproductions. I looked online it seemed like only a few people are making them. And no one I found for remington c/b. Mostly colts and ruger stuff.

Sent from my SM-J337VPP using Tapatalk

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Nobody seems to make quality replacement grips for the current medium frame flat top Ruger Blackhawks. I would like to find some nicely checkered walnut grips which are a bit fuller than the factory black plastic stocks, but not bulky for ham hands.

Something which approximates original turn of the Century, pre-1920 Gen1 Colt grips which have not been slimmed down. Nice feel which can handle the recoil of full snort .357 or .45 Colt, but not oversized and bulky like too many modern grips.

The Uberti and Pietta grips on the Cimarron and Taylor & Co. revolvers are close, but I would like replacements in better wood with fine checkering for grip, but not so sharp it scrapes the hide off. British - style flat-top diamond checkering of about 20 lpi would be wonderful, with choice of ebony, rosewood, ivory micarta or a quality wood-grained synthetic approximating figured walnut for under $100 would sell.

Similarly, quality replacement service stocks as direct replacement for S&W Magna with raised diamond around the screw eschuteons, for N and K frame, round bottom "plain clothes style, and faithful copies of service stocks for pre-WW2 Colts, Army Special, New Service, etc.]
    Last edited by Outpost75; 10-19-2021 at 09:45 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    Outpost75-
    For blackhawks
    So wider in the middle portion of the grip? Vs the current kind of tapered wider out towards the bottom of the grip

I wonder how difficult it will be to get ahold of a original gen1 colt set from that time period.

And for s&w N,k frames basically a wooden version of this rounded grip? Only with the diamonds around the screws as you mentioned.

Last edited by johnsonian09; 10-19-2021 at 10:23 PM.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonian09 View Post
    Outpost75-

So wider in the middle portion of the grip? Vs the current kind of tapered wider out towards the bottom of the grip

Yes, but measure some post-1900, but pre-1920 original Colts.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Banned

Check Badger Custom Grips!

Boolit Buddy
    Smithnframe- I'm thinking about making grips for SAA/ CAS type guns. Badger customs does go beautiful work though. It's nice you can select what blank the grips are made from too.

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Nobody seems to make quality replacement grips for the current medium frame flat top Ruger Blackhawks.
    Actually, there's a few makers out there, but you may be looking for the wrong thing.

The newer Ruger Flat Top revolvers take the same XR3 grips as the Old Model Blackhawks, instead of the XR3-RED grips.

Ruger usually casts the SA grip size into the grip frame casting below the mainspring, visible via removing the grips.

Many of the imported Colt SA clones take the same grips as the original Colts, except for those companies that chose to make a different size/shape grip frame for their clones.
    Last edited by pietro; 10-20-2021 at 01:13 PM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Quote Originally Posted by johnsonian09 View Post

I wonder how difficult it will be to get ahold of a original gen1 colt set from that time period.

I think I have a set of black, gen 1 saa grips around here some where. They were in a box of parts I got from my dad when he passed. If there is interest, I can go digging around for them.
    Deplorable infidel

Boolit Buddy

The nicest aftermarket grips seem to be Eagle. Way too spendy for me. I have been buying grips from Altamount. They make good usable grips from what they call super wood, they laminated birch in Walnut or Rosewood colored. Have several sets and am happy so far GW

Boolit Buddy
    I'd like the set to make patterns off of it if you could find them

Right now I'm making a small run of 1858 grips from spalted tamarind and lace-wood

After I finish these I'm going to try some walnut and do some checkering

Oh my.... Very nice!
    Deplorable infidel

Boolit Bub
    SA grips are not hard to make. I rough them out with a jig saw and shape them with small drum sanders on a drill press. Takes about 2 hours to finish a set.

Moderator Emeritus

Some years back I bought a quite "pre-owned by many" SAA which came with a set of cracked plastic "stag" grips. Seeking replacement, a friend offered me a large box with -- maybe 100 or so? -- loose grip halves in it. It took me quite the expenditure of time to pair the lefts' with matching rights', and by pure happerstance tried a similar-looking pair, to -- after closer examination -- noted the left grip is substantially THINNER than its matching right grip!
    It's "fitting" is almost like magic. Such that on my (obviously newer) Vaquero .45 (old model) I have a piece of cut leather stuck to the right grip's outside.
    Just something that really works for me. If contemplating new (custom?) grips, this is something you may (or may not ) wish to try.
    BEST!
    geo