WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Repackbox Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my old ford and finding parts

Boolit Master

my old ford and finding parts

yesterday while out on my old ford tractor, its a 1962 diesel in great condition, it started acting funny. long story short, the hydraulic pump needs replacing its shooting hydraulic fluid into engine block.
    went to search for a new pump, they sure aint cheap,
    now whenever I search for anything on internet an ad for hydraulic pump shows up somewhere on the page,.

got me investigating and I found this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dZ_lvDgevk

now ive got a better understanding its not necessarily the government that tracks us its the giant internet companies

Boolit Master

are you sure of your diagnosis, most hydraulic pumps sit way back in the rear of the ford tractors and do not connect to the engine at all. there is a seal between the front half and the back half that would allow hydraulic oil to enter the oil. can you school me on how you came to your diagnosis, I might need the knowledge down the road.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master
    I ordered a kit for mine and when I saw the parts I took the pump to the dealer and they charged me $125 and worth every penny. The unit under the seat above the rear end gives more trouble than the pump and not that hard to repair. That controls the lift.<I don't think the fluid can get into the engine block>
    Last edited by 45DUDE; 10-19-2021 at 11:48 AM.

Hydraulic anything is actually spelled $ydraulic.

You can disable some, not all, of that trace stuff on your phone, pad or computer.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    Anything you search for on the net will bring pop ups for a long time. I priced a shower over a year ago and I am still getting ads for remodeling my bath room.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Moderator Emeritus

On a computer use ad block plus and ublock origin... both together. One can catch what the other misses.

What ads? I don't even get ads on YouTube LOL

Boolit Master
    on these older ford 4cyl tractors, like the 600's and 800's the hydraulic pump is gear driven bolted to the side of engine block. the engine oil pan is way overfilled, full of hydraulic fluid. oil level on dipstick is about 5" higher than the full line, and fluid is clear not black like Diesel engine oil should be. and it smells like hydraulic fluid. the only way it could have gotten there is past shaft seal on the pump and through the gear drive case. there just isn't any other possible way for hydro fluid to get into oil pan, that I can see or figure out.

Boolit Buddy

You diagnose is probably correct
    Do a search for hydraulic repair facilities in your area. You can remove the pump your self and drop it off to them for a rebuild.
    I work for a company the has 15 fork lifts 2 cat loaders and 3 cat skid steers. If a pump of motor goes down we send them to Ohio Hydraulics for repairs.

Boolit Master

ok now I see what you got going. we went from the n series to the thousand series and never had any of the hundred series on the farm.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

What model Ford tractor is it? I have a good relationship with the Forrester boys up in Pennsylvania who own Forrsters Ford/New Holland,I’ve been pulling against them for years and know them well.
    J.m Shrader

I have discovered a rule about working with hydraulics. You are not done until you spray yourself with hydraulic fluid.

I have a Ford 1910. Please post what you do to fix this. I may need to know in the future.
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

I got a remanufactured pump for my 3000 from a place in Texas that was about 2/3 the price of new. On the 3000 the pressure line compression nuts are a major PITA and only good for one tightening. I wound up having a fitting made at a hydraulic shop.

The Ford tractor forum on Yesterday's Tractors is filled with very knowledgeable folks who are kindly disposed to newbies.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BNE View Post
    I have discovered a rule about working with hydraulics. You are not done until you spray yourself with hydraulic fluid.

I have a Ford 1910. Please post what you do to fix this. I may need to know in the future.
    Watch out for High Pressure Spray. It can easily penetrate the skin. Cat has been putting cloth covers on exposed lines for about 20 years now. There can be pinhole leaks you almost can't see.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master
    its a 1962 ford 4000 4 cylinder diesel, ive been researching parts. from what ive learned its common for the seal area of wobble shaft to wear.
    now ads for rebuild kits show up on my computer.

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    its a 1962 ford 4000 4 cylinder diesel, ive been researching parts. from what ive learned its common for the seal area of wobble shaft to wear.
    now ads for rebuild kits show up on my computer.
    That’s a piston pump,about $800 for the pump or roughly $70 for rebuild kit from Steiner Tractor online. Only reason I know this off the top of my head is because I rebuilt a 4000 pump for a club tractor this past spring.
    J.m Shrader

Boolit Master
    Perhaps you only need a seal, perhaps you need a pump. In the middle, a rebuild.

Do not buy more economic misery than you have to.

Good luck!

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

My recommendation would be tear the pump down first and see if it rebuildable. $70 is easier to swallow than $800+ Be
    J.m Shrader

Boolit Bub
    Hydraulics are nothing to be frightened of. Just pieces and parts like anything else. The issue is cleanliness and doing the job correctly.

Here is video showing rebuilding the pump.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLHm0TZ5wkY

Any of the how to videos with Dan & Rachel Gingell are solid. Dan used to have a how to column in the old Steiner print catalogs,him and his daughter are good hands with old iron.
    J.m Shrader

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ruger1980 View Post
    Hydraulics are nothing to be frightened of. Just pieces and parts like anything else. The issue is cleanliness and doing the job correctly.

Here is video showing rebuilding the pump.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLHm0TZ5wkY
    I have a spare 3000 Ford just like that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast