Titan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
RepackboxReloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Load Data
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: I found a better cleaning fluid for my 22LR

I purchased some of the JB bore polish a few months ago. I haven't used it yet but if these rifles won't perform like I feel they should, I will use it on them.
    If I remember, you used some of the bore polish on your rifle didn't you? How did that turn out?

Boolit Master

Just thinking with pixels here, but I recently mixed up a bottle (more or less per instructions) of 5-1 water/Ballistol to neutralize the corrosive agents of some WWII-dated .30-06 I wanted to send downrange. Might be the crud-softening agent your chamber rings are needing.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    Just thinking with pixels here, but I recently mixed up a bottle (more or less per instructions) of 5-1 water/Ballistol to neutralize the corrosive agents of some WWII-dated .30-06 I wanted to send downrange. Might be the crud-softening agent your chamber rings are needing.
    The BoreTech carbon remover works a treat to get rid of the carbon rings. Only takes a few minutes to get a really bad carbon ring out. Most of the time spent is just letting it soak in and loosen the crud up.

Boolit Master
    Well not trying to upset the apple cart but…after I think I have cleaned my barrel well and oiled it and put it away. I take a patch and put some lube on it and swab out my barrel before I shoot it again.
    I get better accuracy that way.
    No high std like you lot but still.
    My reasoning being if it’s clean metal the first shot will smear lead as it has no lube and crap to ride over/on through.
    Second shot maybe.
    Just thinking.

Works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    I purchased some of the JB bore polish a few months ago. I haven't used it yet but if these rifles won't perform like I feel they should, I will use it on them.
    If I remember, you used some of the bore polish on your rifle didn't you? How did that turn out?
    It put a shine in the CZ452's barrel but it wasn't aggressive enough to affect the rings you see in the chamber/leade area, I figure this will do the trick. There's no telling what improvement it makes really, that rifle shoots pretty tight anyway, I think most of it is how we view our bores and how it makes us feel to see them clean and slick.
    I've already shown everyone how well a pitted & fouled bore can shoot with the vintage rifles.
    I would like to see the difference in the MKII with that dark bore in it, I can't believe that rifle got out of the factory.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by barrabruce View Post
    Well not trying to upset the apple cart but…after I think I have cleaned my barrel well and oiled it and put it away. I take a patch and put some lube on it and swab out my barrel before I shoot it again.
    I get better accuracy that way.
    No high std like you lot but still.
    My reasoning being if it’s clean metal the first shot will smear lead as it has no lube and crap to ride over/on through.
    Second shot maybe.
    Just thinking.

Works for me.
    There is always a thin film of oil left when I get done with a cleaning. That is what the first round rides on. In the rifles I use for target, tht first shot seldom goes into the group with the remaining shots. It never has smeared lead inside the barrel that I have been able to detect.
    I have other rifles that put the first shot into the same group as the rest. These are the ones I use for hunting.

OS OK---When you get a polish on your MKII, let us know how that works. I would hope it would improve the consistency for you.

Banned
    Brownells Bore Paste and Bore Polish are two different products. Use Bore Paste for serious cleaning, Bore Polish to get that final clean, polish. It's about as aggressive as toothpaste.

Tazman, I wish I had a shop near here that had any kind of 22 lead remover, I have some older rifles with badly leaded barrels that need a serious cleaning. The most serious has a patch, about 6 inches long, in front of the chamber that is so heavy and built up the rifling cannot be seen. The rest of the bore looks nice.

In my day, toothpaste and Bon-Ami both used feldspar as the abrasive. Not hard enough to scratch steel. Barkeeper's Friend was another product that contained feldspar.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

BROWNELLS - J-B® NON-EMBEDDING BORE CLEANING COMPOUND (grey in color)
    BROWNELLS - J-B® BORE BRIGHT (red in color)
    KANO LABS - Kroil in aerosol form while the barrel is hot, spray it down the barrel. I then use the grey stuff on weapons I am cleaning, once the barrel is clean then I use the red stuff to shine the barrel! I also use SHARP SHOOT R products, along with JB. Maybe it just me, but with PC boolits, it takes very little time to get the patch to come out clean. I think it helps keep the barrel slick and easier to clean.
    Just my two cents worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Pressman View Post
    Brownells Bore Paste and Bore Polish are two different products. Use Bore Paste for serious cleaning, Bore Polish to get that final clean, polish. It's about as aggressive as toothpaste.

Tazman, I wish I had a shop near here that had any kind of 22 lead remover, I have some older rifles with badly leaded barrels that need a serious cleaning. The most serious has a patch, about 6 inches long, in front of the chamber that is so heavy and built up the rifling cannot be seen. The rest of the bore looks nice.
    Spray them heavily with Kroil and let them soak for a day or two. Kroil will work it's way in between the lead and the steel and help lift the lead free from the steel. Use a brush with a few strands of copper Chore Boy wrapped around it and it will help remove the lead.
    That lead coating in the barrel CAN be removed.

Boolit Master

tazman
    I forgot about the chore boy, but I really don't need to use it too much anymore.
    Between Smokes powder, and Dougguy leading is not a problem any more

All right. I have several old 22lr rifles, a couple of which are from my childhood. One is the first rifle I ever owned and another was my father's.
    Today I checked the barrels because I suspected they would be a mess. They were.
    The two mentioned had carbon buildup in them probably dating from the early 1960s or before in one case. I also had a couple of the Remington 510, 511, 512 series that I has acquired during the last few years. These all got checked with the bore scope.
    Evey one of them was filthy dirty with powder fouling and carbon buildup.
    I spent a couple of hours getting them cleaned and back in top condition. Two of them required two applications of the carbon remover to get the ring out of the chamber throat. No telling how long it had been in there waiting for me to find it.
    The one that was my first rifle hasn't had the chamber cleaned this thoroughly since I have owned it. That would be about 1962,
    In my defense, I didn't know this kind of problem existed until recently. I always thought cleaning with Hoppes and gun oil would take care of all these things. Now I know that is not the case.
    Now I am looking forward to taking them to the range and seeing if there is a noticeable accuracy improvement.

I still have a couple of 22lr semi auto pistols to check. They probably need it too.

I made it to the range today with my CZ MTR. The cleaning did the trick. It is back to shooting tight groups again, just like it did when new.
    Glad to find out what the issue was with the accuracy dropping off.
    I can wholeheartedly recommend this cleaning product.

My old Winchester is shooting better than it ever has after being cleaned thoroughly for the very first time. It shot a pair of 1/4 inch groups at 25 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    It will be interesting to see how many shots it takes to season that clean barrel.

Interesting stuff.
    It was back to shooting tight groups in just 10 shots. I had to make a slight adjustment to the scope to get it centered. About 3 clicks on the vertical and 2 on the horizontal. Not much. Maybe just the way the breeze was blowing today.
    Last edited by tazman; 10-26-2021 at 05:28 PM.

Good news to hear...love it when your work pays off taz.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    Good news to hear...love it when your work pays off taz.
    I found out two things.
    1---That carbon ring is tougher to get out that I thought it should/would be. I should have known this from my experiences shooting 38 Special in 357 chambers.

2---The carbon ring has a greater effect on accuracy in a tight match chamber than in a regular/looser chamber. It takes less time to build up to a size where it interferes with things.

I guess there is also a third thing. There are now cleaning products available that do a great job of removing this problem.

Boolit Grand Master
    I am going to get some of that stuff. Thanks for the range report Tman.
    Don Verna

Moderator Emeritus

tazman -- I received the bore cleaner you endorsed -- the BoreTech -- day before yesterday, and too am most impressed! A BIG thank you!!! I just tried it/used it on one of my CZ452 Varmints -- from the way patches came out, I *WILL* be using on other rimfire bores!
    As a btw, a borescope has been on my maybe-buy list, and your photos have kind of pushed me a tad more in the "buy one" direction . Might you (no worries if you decline) share the make/model of the 'scope you have? (And, of course, if there's a newer/different one which you may suggest as a better choice?)
    THANKS MUCH!!!
    geo

Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    tazman -- I received the bore cleaner you endorsed -- the BoreTech -- day before yesterday, and too am most impressed! A BIG thank you!!! I just tried it/used it on one of my CZ452 Varmints -- from the way patches came out, I *WILL* be using on other rimfire bores!
    As a btw, a borescope has been on my maybe-buy list, and your photos have kind of pushed me a tad more in the "buy one" direction . Might you (no worries if you decline) share the make/model of the 'scope you have? (And, of course, if there's a newer/different one which you may suggest as a better choice?)
    THANKS MUCH!!!
    geo
    You are very welcome. It is always a good thing when I can relate some experience of mine and improve the situation for someone else.

This is the title from the auction where I purchased mine. Teslong Rifle Bore Scope, 0.2inch Gun Barrel Borescope Camera, Side-View Mirror
    OS OK is the one that recommended it to me and it works. Very simple and easy to use. At least with Windows. I haven't tried it with my Linux computer yet.
    Last edited by tazman; 10-28-2021 at 04:55 PM.

Hmmm....is the software compiled for Wndows XT-Pro?
    Cognitive Dissident

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    Hmmm....is the software compiled for Wndows XT-Pro?
    No software came with my borescope.
    According to the instructions it will work with all Windows versions from 7 on. With XP, Vista, and 7 you need to download a piece of software that allows USB camera usage. In Windows 10 and 8 the necessary software is already there.
    According to the instructions, it will also work with Mac and Android operating systems.
    I don't know for sure about I phones.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast