Reloading EverythingWidenersLoad DataInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: I found a better cleaning fluid for my 22LR

Boolit Master

A lot of good information here.
    I will try some C4 bore cleaner.
    And I may go down the rabbit hole, and get a bore scope. Just to torment myself!

OS OK----That is something that will have to wait for next year. Today was the last of our warm weather for the foreseeable future. I will be moving my shooting indoors and going to handguns until spring.
    The next 10 days are showing temps in the thirties(except for a couple of days) and fairly windy. It makes my arthritis hurt just to think about it.
    The tests I ran today finished up all the testing I needed to do with the rifles before winter.
    It gives me something to look forward to for next spring.

Quote Originally Posted by 45workhorse View Post
    A lot of good information here.
    I will try some C4 bore cleaner.
    And I may go down the rabbit hole, and get a bore scope. Just to torment myself!
    Borescopes like the one I have are not that expensive. In the $55-$75 range.
    They can be very informative. Just don't panic when you see a bunch of things "wrong" with your barrel. Things are probably not as bad as it seems.
    The inside of the CZ 455 I tested today looked so bad that I really didn't know how it shot as well as it did before I did the bore paste work on it. Nothing much changed visibly but this rifle shot the best it has since I've had it today.
    This system appears to work and really helped the accuracy on this rifle.

It may be that all I did was smooth out a few burrs or lumps left over from the machining process. Whatever it was, the rifle shot really well today.

The fun part about all this is that none of these things I have been talking about and using were my idea. They are things I learned about from people on this site and from articles and videos online. All I did was use them and report my results along with some thoughts on how and why they work.
    Last edited by tazman; 11-16-2021 at 10:34 PM.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Might want to try firelapping it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Tazman
    Best thing about this place, little info from this guy, a little info from somebody else....., and the light bulb starts to glow.

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    OS OK----That is something that will have to wait for next year. Today was the last of our warm weather for the foreseeable future. I will be moving my shooting indoors and going to handguns until spring.
    The next 10 days are showing temps in the thirties(except for a couple of days) and fairly windy. It makes my arthritis hurt just to think about it.
    The tests I ran today finished up all the testing I needed to do with the rifles before winter.
    It gives me something to look forward to for next spring.
    Yah, winter is going to put a kibosh on things around here in about a month, I've already started remodeling my shop as a winter project, got some welding fabrication to modify a 6" x 89" belt sander...some days I can shoot my pistol but I just can't deal with the cold for too long so my range experiences will be brief pretty soon.
    I scored a peep for the Wards Western Field 46D, will have that for a little project soon...got a new front sight coming for that one so it will profile like the Rem 33-P, I think that's going to be a great rifle.

I wonder what will be the next 'hot topic' here will be for the winter & stormy spring? We are all going to be having 'fireside chats' pretty soon instead of 'range reports'!
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

I did the final cleaning of the CZ 455 Varmint that I have been working on for this fall.
    I can't help but be amazed at how this is all coming together.
    I did what is now my normal full cleaning process with the C4 Carbon Remover and then ran a series of dry patches down the barrel until they came out dry and clean. That didn't take long.
    I noticed that when running a tight patch down the bore that it tightens up during the last 4 inches as I had hoped after using the JB Bore Bright.
    I ran the borescope down the first few inches of the barrel before and after. You can really see the difference.
    The first three pics are from before. The next three pics are after.
    I tried to get pictures of the same areas of the bore to do a good comparison.
    The throat area seems to be somewhat smoother and was very easy to clean this time.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIN_20211118_15_49_03_Pro.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	28.5 KB 
ID:	291886Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIN_20211118_15_49_20_Pro.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	26.8 KB 
ID:	291887Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIN_20211118_15_49_44_Pro.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	26.4 KB 
ID:	291888

Name:	WIN_20211118_16_23_39_Pro.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	26.3 KB 
ID:	291889Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIN_20211118_16_23_42_Pro.jpg 
Size:	24.7 KB 
ID:	291890Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIN_20211118_16_23_53_Pro.jpg 
Size:	29.7 KB 
ID:	291891

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    I did the final cleaning of the CZ 455 Varmint that I have been working on for this fall.
    I can't help but be amazed at how this is all coming together.
    I did what is now my normal full cleaning process with the C4 Carbon Remover and then ran a series of dry patches down the barrel until they came out dry and clean. That didn't take long.
    I noticed that when running a tight patch down the bore that it tightens up during the last 4 inches as I had hoped after using the JB Bore Bright.
    I ran the borescope down the first few inches of the barrel before and after. You can really see the difference.
    The first three pics are from before. The next three pics are after.
    I tried to get pictures of the same areas of the bore to do a good comparison.
    The throat area seems to be somewhat smoother and was very easy to clean this time.

Name:	WIN_20211118_15_49_03_Pro.jpg 
Size:	28.5 KB 
ID:	291886Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIN_20211118_15_49_20_Pro.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	26.8 KB 
ID:	291887Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIN_20211118_15_49_44_Pro.jpg 
Size:	26.4 KB 
ID:	291888

Name:	WIN_20211118_16_23_39_Pro.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	26.3 KB 
ID:	291889Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIN_20211118_16_23_42_Pro.jpg 
Size:	24.7 KB 
ID:	291890Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIN_20211118_16_23_53_Pro.jpg 
Size:	29.7 KB 
ID:	291891
    It's nice to be able to do something about the barrel now besides just 'blindly cleaning' the heck out of it and looking down the bore and seeing it shine.
    It looks like your bore is becoming a little lighter in color.
    Thanks again to Forrest r for his input...now I have me a scheme to my madness!

Boolit Master
    In the winter folks around here shoot 22lr BR in tobacco greenhouses and chicken houses. The informal houses use a wood burning stove for the backstop. Some sand in the bottom collects the bullets. Some money has been known to change hands but mostly it's bragging rites.

Quote Originally Posted by jsizemore View Post
    In the winter folks around here shoot 22lr BR in tobacco greenhouses and chicken houses. The informal houses use a wood burning stove for the backstop. Some sand in the bottom collects the bullets. Some money has been known to change hands but mostly it's bragging rites.
    Now that's pretty cool...that's a game I could get into. I enjoy the camaraderie & gamesmanship & I do mean the gamesmanship between good friends. It can be brutal at times!

One of the things I shoot indoors is a 22lr pistol. I checked the throat on it when I began this new cleaning process and found it had the same problem as far as carbon building up in the throat. I cleaned it out and it is now all pristine.
    I wonder if that will improve the accuracy of the pistol?
    It should certainly improve the function as any obstruction to the cartridge entering the chamber is now gone.
    This pistol is what I use for warming up and also getting rid of any "junk" ammunition that I won't use in my rifles. This and the chambers of my 22lr and 357 mag revolvers will be another use for the new method.

Banned
    I just received an email from Bore Tech that my order will be here Wednesday. C4 CARBON REMOVER, RIMFIRE BLEND, Cu+2 COPPER REMOVER and CHAMELEON GEL. The last is also listed as a lead remover, I will see which works the best.

Thanks Tazman for the idea.

You are very welcome.
    I only have experience with the first two you mentioned. Given the results achieved with them, I expect the last two will work as intended.
    Good luck in your projects.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    Now that's pretty cool...that's a game I could get into. I enjoy the camaraderie & gamesmanship & I do mean the gamesmanship between good friends. It can be brutal at times!
    In the summer it's marbles on golf tees at 100 yards with centerfire rifles. 5 for each shooter. whoever shoots their 5 first wins.

There's also rimfire meat shoots in the summer. Go to the store and buy a lb. of fresh ground beef. Everybody puts their meat in a pot that goes in the frig. Put your foam tray on the target backer at 50 yards. Most shot flies in 20 minutes wins the pot of meat. Usually ends up being a cookout. Real easy to see the fly splatters.

Boolit Buddy
    To start with I’d like to say thanks to tazman for starting this thread. I have a Marlin 1894 made in 1979, the first year they came out with the 357. It has a micro groove barrel that I’ve been trying to get fully clean, the thing with this is it has lead and copper in the barrel because you can shoot both. And all the cleaning I have done is with hoppes 9 and brushes with chore boy wrapped on it. Could not get it to what I consider clean and sortta had a haze in the barrel that I couldn’t get out. Now reading about BORE TECH from all of you, thought why not. Gave OS OK a call and asked him what he thought of BORE TECH, he gave it a very high rating. So went to BORE TECH website and looked around then looked up there address, well lo and behold they are located only 8 miles from me! Gave them a call to see if they do walk in business and the guy Jesse I talked to said yes. I went over this morning and got a bottle of ELIMINATOR with some nylon brushes, he said ELIMINATOR would eat up a bronze brush. Then he gave me a free sample of CHAMELEON GEL, it has a very fine polish in it. So I cleaned the barrel with the ELIMINATOR and got a lot more out than the hoppes. Did that till patches came out clean, but still had a slight haze, then went to the CHAMELEON GEL. Man those patches came out dark, I did it till they came out clean. When done I looked in the barrel, well I had a big smile on my face. It finally looked like a clean barrel to me. Both the ELIMINATOR and CHAMELEON GEL worked great, but you need to use ELIMINATOR first then CHAMELEON GEL.
    Armed society is a polite society
    Live A Little Learn A Lot

tazman, your batting a thousand on this thread!

If you’d told me that my ole’standby Hoppes sucked this bad, I wouldn’t have believed you.
    I’ve seen the light now and I got no more use for the Hoppes unless I want to wipe a barrel down or just get a big whiff for ole’times sake.

Jsizemore…shootin flies sounds like fun but I’ll bet they’re tricky to skin out!

Boolit Master
    The shot skins and cleans them. Calling and making head shots is the deal.

Boolit Master
    i only give my 22 rimfires a good clean when accuracy goes south .wet patch with butches bore shine ,have a cup of tea then dry patches till they come out clean . my bsa martini shoots fine straight away my 1022 takes 20-50 rounds to settle down .

Boolit Master

I thought someone should post something about a .22 that is irretrievable. Back over 60 years ago, I bought a single shot, no name .22 rifle from an individual for $5. It was in about the shape you would expect but as a teenager price trumped all.

To make the story short, as life got complicated with marriage, children, etc, I left it in the garage for several years. When I finally decided to use it(don't remember what for), I found that what we call a "dirt dauber" had placed its nest about halfway down the barrel. There is no telling how many years it had been there. I got most of the foreign material(mud) out but the corrosion proved to be a major obstacle. It is now used only with .22 shot shells where it works fairly well.

Now, a CZ and two 10-22's serve to satisfy my rimfire wants.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post
    I thought someone should post something about a .22 that is irretrievable. Back over 60 years ago, I bought a single shot, no name .22 rifle from an individual for $5. It was in about the shape you would expect but as a teenager price trumped all.

To make the story short, as life got complicated with marriage, children, etc, I left it in the garage for several years. When I finally decided to use it(don't remember what for), I found that what we call a "dirt dauber" had placed its nest about halfway down the barrel. There is no telling how many years it had been there. I got most of the foreign material(mud) out but the corrosion proved to be a major obstacle. It is now used only with .22 shot shells where it works fairly well.

Now, a CZ and two 10-22's serve to satisfy my rimfire wants.
    Not irretrievable, just not worth it unless it emotionally priceless.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

A liner will make it like new. Contact John Taylor.
    Cognitive Dissident

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast