Inline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackbox
RotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Lee Precision

Thread: Browning mdl 71 butt pad help

Boolit Buddy

Browning mdl 71 butt pad help

I need to figure out what size "grind to fit" butt pad to buy that can be fit to the stock of my Blr mod 71 which is being converted to 50cal.
    The rifle is at the gunsmith so I can't measure it myself.
    Looking at the "limb saver" brand, which seem nice and cushy.
    I don't know if I should buy large, medium or small.
    Any one have experience with this?
    Thanks

Ask the gunsmith who has the rifle. (telephone?) Measure heel to toe, width, determine thickness desired (which is dependent on what the manufacturer offers), and buy one just a little larger for grinding to size. Not a lot larger, as some contain a metal plate, etc., that you may hit if having to reduce the size too much, or you may reduce the effectiveness of the accordion-type recoil reduction areas by removing too much rubber. Have you ever done this operation before? Very hard to do on a disc sander without nicking the stock. A recoil pad jig helps a lot. Since he's already working on the gun, why not have the gunsmith do it?

DG

Boolit Buddy
    Der G,, I am having him do it, but ive already bugged him to much. So just a simple question for someone to measure there stock and let me know the dimension.

Boolit Master
    I will measure mine this evening and get back to you.
    As an aside - I really enjoy having my slip on Limb Saver pad. I find the rubber pads wonderful for range work, but despise them for hunting (difference of clothing thickness, sticking to my clothes when shouldering, etc). I find that recoil is rarely perceivable when hunting anyway.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by cwtebay; 10-20-2021 at 09:19 PM.

Boolit Master
    if you do the limb saver
    you will need to store rifle barrel down. they have a pin for them but it is soft and will break. and time will make them sticky

Quote Originally Posted by hard88cast View Post
    Der G,, I am having him do it, but ive already bugged him to much. So just a simple question for someone to measure there stock and let me know the dimension.
    A wise decision! If I had one I'd measure it for you, but one is not to be found in my accumulation.

Be sure to get a pad that's about 1/2" longer than the bare stock butt, top-to-bottom, so the bottom line of the finished pad will align with the bottom line of the buttstock

When finished, the bottom line should look like this:

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post

Be sure to get a pad that's about 1/2" longer than the bare stock butt, top-to-bottom, so the bottom line of the finished pad will align with the bottom line of the buttstock

When finished, the bottom line should look like this:

that is a purty piece of wood............

Boolit Buddy
    Well my smith sent me the stock dim. And I just ordered and had shipped direct to him a limbsaver. Is it a 1/2" longer? I dont know once he cuts the stock down a bit, we will see..
    If its the wrong one I am sure he will let me know and I will send another one.
    Ive never added a "permanent "recoil pad to anything so this is a little new to me. But i will say that my antique 45-90 with crecsent did require me to add a slip on when at the range, but no slip on required when harvesting whitetails with it.

Boolit Master
    Apologies, didn't make it to the safe last night.

I have used a leather slip on that has leather lace on the bottom to snug up. It may have about 1/2” of soft rubber that works for me. I used to load for a friends original Win. 71 and about 1 box of shells was all I could shoot sighting in. Bring that 200 grain bullet down to about 35 rem. performance and you might not need the recoil pad. Oops, I just read that your going to convert to 50 cal., please disregard and proceed.

If your gun has a Steel Buttplate like the pics above then I'd look at a Limbsaver Slip On Butt Pad. They work really well and there is no alteration to the buttstock. < $20 at Walmart!

I have one on my Enfield that has a nice brass buttplate that I didn't want to alter.

If you aren't sold on a Slip on the don't mess around go right to a Pachmayer pad like in the second pic. They actually work and look good too.

I also added a Gray Coil Recoil Reducer into the stock which will add about a pound to the gun. My Marlin 1895CB .45-70 weighed 7 lbs on the nose and was too light for that cartridge. It weighs 8 lbs now and really needs to be more like 9 lbs like your M71 but with the 300 gr loads I shoot mostly it is fine, and I can shoot 40-50 rounds in a Morning and be no worse for wear.

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100463769.JPG   Para LDA 1640 367.jpg  
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the input and the measurements folks. I use a slip on on my antique 86s with the crescent butt, ouch, you have to use something on those especially on the bench sighting in a 45-90.. But they increase the length of pull which is fine at the range or on the bench.
    I have already sent a limbsaver to my smith, done deal for now.
    If I need to change it down the road I can.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by hard88cast View Post
    Thanks for the input and the measurements folks. I use a slip on on my antique 86s with the crescent butt, ouch, you have to use something on those especially on the bench sighting in a 45-90.. But they increase the length of pull which is fine at the range or on the bench.
    I have already sent a limbsaver to my smith, done deal for now.
    If I need to change it down the road I can.
    What size, and who is the manufacturer of your slip on? I need to get one for my miroku 1886.

Boolit Buddy
    the slip ons i use are old, how old I dont know, maybe 20 years maybe more. All they say on the slip on is---Uncles Mikes, By Michaels of Oregon.

Boolit Buddy
    Bird,, you need to hurry up there are two of them on ebay right now for $15.00+....2 Vintage Uncle Mike's Rubber Brown Slip-On Rifle Recoil Butt Pad

Boolit Buddy
    they work but they could be a lot softer also.

Boolit Master
    Mine is a slip on large size Limb Saver. It fits pretty much all of my Winchester larger bore rifles.

Last edited by cwtebay; 11-02-2021 at 08:30 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks hard88cast. I just ordered a couple of the Limbsaver Airtech's. The 45-70's and 348's and 30-06's ae starting to beat me up.
    Walmart of all places has a good price on them, and delivered to my door.