RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad DataReloading Everything
Wideners

Thread: Help mounting diopter on Swede

Boolit Buddy

Help mounting diopter on Swede

Does anyone here know who still drills and taps the rear receiver of a M-96 Swede Mauser for a diopter sight? No one anywhere near me does.

Thanks in advance!

Boolit Buddy
    Best bet would to find a mom and pop type of local machines or machine shop. If you’re willing to ship, give Bill a call at Spring Creek armory. I’ve seen some of his work in a few other forums and he seems to be willing to undertake 1-off type projects like this.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    It’s amazing what good machinists can do, but not all are familiar gunsmithing. I would search out an experienced gunsmith to do the work. Don’t hesitate to ship it to someone who is known to be qualified.
    PS Swedes with diopters are great. I have two. You need to get the rear aperture down to 1mm or less to get the true diopter effect.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the info. I have a little collection of Swede diopter rear sight going on. So far I am leaning towards the Busk. Very nice and fine adjustments and different size apertures in the sight by spinning the aperture disk. Also, not a lot of Busk’s on the range!!

Contact Joel Ackerman, Dickinson, ND tel. 701-225-7966. Very talented machinist and gunsmith.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you Dan. Much appreciated.

Boolit Buddy
    Zarrin. Thanks for the lead as well.
    Last edited by M1fuzz; 10-21-2021 at 04:57 AM. Reason: Auto correct mistake

Boolit Buddy
    No worries, he goes by the handle ‘LeverActionBill’ in many forums. I’ve seen some of the pictures of 1st Gen SAA’s that he’s had to do extensive work on. Like welding components back together, machining and heat treating, then refinishing using period appropriate methods. He is another great resource. If nothing else, someone to add to your list of possible help if you need something in the future. Congrats on the Swede. Once upon a time I had a Cherry M41B and I stupidly let it go. Oh well.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    As many of them as there are floating around already drilled I'd save that one and find on that's already been drilled . Last undrilled Swede I saw around here they were asking over $800 for . Do you already have a sight set ? Which sight are you gonna use ?
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Southgate View Post
    As many of them as there are floating around already drilled I'd save that one and find on that's already been drilled . Last undrilled Swede I saw around here they were asking over $800 for . Do you already have a sight set ? Which sight are you gonna use ?
    I have a Hooka and a Busk. Plan on using the Busk. Not too many of them around. Most of the ones you see around are drilled for the much more common Solerdin. Sometimes the GF sight.