Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackbox
RotoMetals2Load DataTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Wideners Reloading Everything

Thread: Marlin 45-70 mould

Boolit Mold

Marlin 45-70 mould

Looking for a mold for 300 - 350 grain for a marlin 4570 any recommendations? Anyone have one for sale. Using for whitetail deer

Boolit Buddy
    The Lee 350gr is a solid, very inexpensive mold. $22 to $25. Drops very consistent bullets.

Boolit Mold
    I was looking at those but can't seem to find one new or used

Boolit Master

The Lee bullet may or may not work depending on the nose diameter of both the bullet and the bore diameter of the rifle. I have one that it will fit and two that it won't. If you want a no fuss bullet that will work very well contact Tom at Accurate Molds. Tell him you want a bullet of the weight you choose, .460" diameter from the mold, and with a Marlin nose. The bullet so specified will cycle through the action like butter and shoot as well as your rifle is capable. I have a mold so specified that weighs 365 grains and ordered one for a friend which drops at 405. They both shoot very well.
    Good Luck,
    Rick

Boolit Mold
    Rick what did that mold cost you

Boolit Master

They vary depending on material. The old saying that quality lingers long after price is forgotten applies here.....I don't remember. I think
    it was about $100 shipping and all. I bought mine in Aluminum and it is a two cavity. I have about 7 or 8 molds from Tom and there are no disappointments. When I bought the one we are speaking of a little over a year ago delivery time was less than two weeks. He may be a little longer wait time now.
    Good Luck to you,
    Rick

Boolit Master
    that lee mold works well in my 45-70

Boolit Mold
    Looks like 7 to 8 weeks. Any chance you want to send 50 to Wisconsin for whitetail season

NOE has some .45-70 molds in stock. I can't comment on their feeding in your Marlin? I am considering the 315 or 350 grain for my brothers 1885.

NOE has the Ranch Dog in stock right now and it was made for the Marlin 45-70. Probably could have it by the weekend if you ordered it today or tomorrow.

Boolit Mold
    Well before I saw your post I bought on ebay a 457122 lyman mold. I like that noe offers a mold with gc and pb bullets in one mould oh well

I use a RCBS .45-300 FNGC readily available mould. It uses a Gas Check so there is no leading. My mould drops at 325 gr so it is big enough for Elk too. This boolit has been very accurate out of my 1895 CB and I shot one 3 shot group into 1.75" at 100 yards with a Lyman Receiver Sight on the gun.

I use 33 gr of 5744 for @1550-1600 fps

This boolit was specifically designed for use in Leverguns like the Marlin and Win 1886. It is also available in a .405 gr version(.45-405FN) and a 500 gr version (.45-500FN) where the crimp groove is in the same place and the boolit is made longer and heavier by adding more driving bands. The 405 gr version is very popular with Elk Hunters. Loaded overall length is the same for all 3 versions of the boolit.

This is what the boolit and loaded round looks like.

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100464038.jpg  
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 10-21-2021 at 07:33 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Mold
    Thanks randy what can I safely push the 340gr bullet frome a 457122. I will probably powder coat these

Plain Base maybe 1400 fps. Gas Checked,,, As much as you can stand.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    My recent Marlin 45-70 favourite is a light RCBS as well. I have gathered half a dozen 45-70 molds since the 90's, sometimes these lighter bullets feel better... getting older, wrecking your shoulder and losing teeth from recoil, for example.

I'm pushing this 325 grainer @ 1950 fps with no problems, Hi Tek TMG Gold coated plain base shoots clean. I shoot 75 meter moving moose practise with this. I have a Marlin 1895 SBL w/ Aimpoint micro now , had other Marlins before.

Last edited by Petander; 10-22-2021 at 02:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stopsign32v View Post
    NOE has the Ranch Dog in stock right now and it was made for the Marlin 45-70. Probably could have it by the weekend if you ordered it today or tomorrow.
    There you go the Ranch Dog designs were designed for Marlins chamber. The 350 Gr is a great boolit and accurate if you do your part. That is if you feel 3/4" groups at 100 yards accurate from a GS
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Accurate 45-70 mold for levers. …
    http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...bullet=45-310P
    Regards
    John

Boolit Grand Master
    I was going to suggest the 457122, but it seems you beat me to the punch. As long as it casts large enough for your barrel it should be fine for deer, that's what it was designed for after all.

I would cast it out of something soft, on the order of 20:1 lead:tin, and keep it reasonably close to BP velocities (it is plain based). Use a good lube and you shouldn't have any problems dropping any of Bambi's relatives.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master
    I know this is heavier than you wanted but this boolit
    smashes deer like no one's business
    https://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet...bullet=46-420C,
    It is very accurate out of my Marlin Guide gun
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often