Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad DataReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: god created man and the universe

Boolit Buddy

My favorite response to the question
    “Which came first? The chicken or the egg?
    is
    “Genesis 1:21 says God created ‘…every winged bird according to their kind…’ not eggs.”

God is wholly other! Being wholly other, we don't have the concepts and words to talking about God. All we know about God is what has been revealed to us. Revelation while very partial, is enough to understand the essential character and nature of God.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

3.1416 will do. There is plenty of scientific evidence for a young creation. There is only inches of dust on the moon not 13.6 billion years worth. The fossil record shows that the flood changed things and the older fossils ar on top. Frozen dinosaurs show they lived in the ice age since the flood about 2250 BC. Time since Adam and Eve in the Bible’s genealogies only adds up to almost 6000 years and so does the Jewish calendar. If the sun was 13.6 billion years old it would have burned out long ago because of its size and mass . It’s a small star and it’s stage in life is suggestive of youth. It loses so much mass per year that it wouldn’t be very old. Heck God could have just moved those stars over there or created them over there all those light years away. They suggest a lot of time.

Look into creation science, much more they have found.

Boolit Master
    Amen to that! Anything that's found that don't fit into the already established scientific theories about ages, evolution, geology, etc, are hidden away and sometimes destroyed to avoid having to explain them!

I rely upon the 1611 King James translation with notes by Bullinger (1922) and Strong's Concordance (published by Holman, not the one by Nelson) for the good sense of Genesis 1:2. Once it was clear that the world came to be waste there was no longer confusion over much of the matters concerning geology and paleontology.

Boolit Master
    Just a few thoughts about Bible Versions:

Some of us old guys make far too much noise about opposing newer Bible "versions". The KJV itself is clearly labeled a version; it is NOT and was never meant to be a direct translation! Like, there were no "thees" or "thous", etc., in the original texts and the "Holy Ghost" should have read Holy Spirit". And those are just the easy to see translation errors! And all translations of anything has to be a version, word-for-word direct translations are impossible because of vastly differing grammar!

No one today uses a 1611 KJV. In fact, few people today have even seen one. I did see one (a photo copy replica anyway) and I put it down pretty quickly. It was written in Elizabethan English and that grammar alone can be as difficult for us to follow as Greek.

There were no copyright laws in 1611 so later printers could (and some did) revise the KJV as seemed right to them and each one made as many copies of his new version as he - or his customer - wished. But, so far as I know, there is no record of that revision history because keeping that record wasn't relevant at that time and there was no central place to control that data anyway.

Thus, there is no way to track all of the KJV revisions today but it's been suggested that each new copy run saw noticeable (but spiritually trivial) changes by well meaning printers just trying to keep up with drifts in the constantly evolving spelling and grammar changes in the English language. And that's been very good for us. Believe me, if we had no newer versions than the 1611, few of us would get much value out of trying to read our Bibles!

Bottom line, pick an orthodox Bible version that you like and use it!

I read and treasure my very old (1959) Schofield KJV but I study my NKJV and Amplified Bible. (And my Strong's number coded Hebrew-Greek-English Interliniear Bible and some lexicons too but I don't recommended them to most folk. All that studying stuff can be fun if you lean that way but it really isn't necessary for laymen.)
    Truth is, any good Bible version, or even paraphrase, has all of the "word study" most of us will ever need to know built right in.

NOTE:

I do NOT recommend paying any attention at all to anything from Jehovah Witness (their "New World Translation" is a collection of twisted fabrication, it's not a translation), Seventh Day Adventists (they teach some weirdly false stuff), Mormons (a huge library of fabrications), Christian Science (they're neither Christian nor science), Roman Catholics (with their many Popist additions and contradictions), .... and there's another false but obscure "bible" I can't recall right now.

Boolit Master
    each to his own beliefs and bibles, how do any of us mere mortals know what is truly right or wrong.
    like some people from Asia might say the only book that can be believed is the Mahābhārata, with its seemingly fantastical tales that just might all be true, and others might only believe the book that their parents and parents before them believed.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    each to his own beliefs and bibles, how do any of us mere mortals know what is truly right or wrong.
    Actually, it's pretty easy for open eyed humans to establish which single book of religion is trustworthy.

Test: Check a book's prophecies to see if any outrageously improbable events were predicted and recorded history have proven it true.

My Bible and the historical records are loaded with proofs, all dead-on stuff too. And, unlike with Nostradamus, no arms length, squinty-eyed manipulations are required to sorta make it work. All those easily testable points should be enough to prove my Bible's trustworthiness, in fact lawyers have said its proofs would be acceptable as evidence in court.

like some people from Asia might say the only book that can be believed is the Mahābhārata, with its seemingly fantastical tales that just might all be true, and others might only believe the book that their parents and parents before them believed.
    How can someone read the ancient scripts and not recognize the world that was? The rebellion made a real mess of things.

The beauty of the King James translation is the study tools that are keyed to it. Interlinears help too, they also being keyed to the King James text. Each translation is going to have it's problems but due to the centuries of examination performed by our antecedents, those who have walked this path before us, I find none else is as useful for study.

Ive been pondering quite a bit lately about life and death and god.
    but one thought that I can't understand or wrap my head around.
    man on earth is only maybe like 20 or 40 million years, or less.
    the earth and our sun is estimated to be 4 Billion years old and the universe is an estimated 13.6 billion years old.
    if god created it all where did god come from.
    4 billion year old earth. our time on this earth is short.
    How our creator came to be isn't going to be answered with anything except conjecture and assumptions. It's just beyond the scope of our present knowledge. We're about like guppies in an aquarium guessing at what is outside the living room window.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    The beauty of the King James translation is the study tools that are keyed to it. Interlinears help too, they also being keyed to the King James text. Each translation is going to have it's problems but due to the centuries of examination performed by our antecedents, those who have walked this path before us, I find none else is as useful for study.
    In the last 20+ years we have been blessed with computerized Bible study. Logos is probably the best/most powerful and keys everything to everything else. Paper based materials don't even compare. I remember the days of having 4-5 books laying on my desk and thumbing through them for comparison. Now you can have all that and more on your laptop. (It does takes money though, but worth it.)

God can create "ex nihilo", which simple means he can make something out of nothing. We can't do that, we must start with something to make anything. Once we can accept that God is not limited by what we can do and understand, life and faith get much easier. If we can't or won't accept that, we will be forever like the dog chasing his own tail. We will die asking the same questions we have all our life.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12