RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2Load Data
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hodgdon Going Out Of Business Rumor

Boolit Buddy

Hodgdon Going Out Of Business Rumor

Visited a LGS over the weekend and the fella there said Reloading was a dying hobby as a powder distributor he recently talked with said Hodgdon was going out of business as they could not get powder due to a lack of the chemicals needed in the propellant manufacturing process. There is always IMR and Alaint.

Had to remind him that Hodgdon did not manufacturer propellant and he said they imported all their powder? That is incorrect if I recall as they have propellant supplied by General Dynamics St. Mark's plant, IMt in Canada. Maybe issue with the ADI plants in Australia?

Has anyone heard more to support this?

Don't think that fella could have said one positive thing about anything anyway. Good way to push customers away it to unload complaints and negative comments on paying customers. Even complained that his customers that were passing away and not bringing their firearms in to him to sell, was opening laughing at this point.

Banned

He probably heard about the closure of the GOEX plant in Louisiana that is owned by Hodgdon. But from reading the media announcement it's due to the continuing incidents of accidental explosions over the years.

Rumor probably got started after Hodgdon announcement that they were shutting the Goex plant.

That was announced about 3 weeks ago.

There are people who work hard at embroidering a simple story of clouds in the sky to a full blown hurricane.

Triple DG-----Dead, Dying, Doom and Gloom.

Boolit Master
    I'm doubting this story but next time I get to Lenexa, it's not far to hit the headquarters and ask. I still remember where they live but I'm not going to bother anyone at home.

Quote Originally Posted by mfraser264 View Post
    Had to remind him that Hodgdon did not manufacturer propellant and he said they imported all their powder? That is incorrect if I recall as they have propellant supplied by General Dynamics St. Mark's plant,
    You are correct, they do sell powder made there as well as other MFG’s.

As far as dying hobby, demand is so high now, They don’t have any smokeless powder in stock at all.

https://shop.hodgdon.com/hodgdon

Don’t believe everything you hear at a LGS

You are correct

Boolit Master
    Are retail powder sales even material to the powder company financials? I assume that they sell a hundred tons to ammo manufacturers for every ton they sell to hobbyists, but that’s just always been my assumption.

Boolit Master
    I hate rumors. I can't imagine Hodgdon going out of business in my lifetime. didn't they recently acquire western powders? and they bought controlling interest in Winchester powder and IMR years ago. maybe I'm wrong but that's the way I understand it.

https://www.rifleshootermag.com/edit...powders/384943

Boolit Grand Master

Rumor control one to secret squirrel two, over...........
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Odd as Hodgdon was the one powder brand that was widely available during this crisis.

Boolit Master

Like most businesses and manufacturers, they probably have issues getting their material and supplies. I’m sure everyone has seen the news of the “supply chain” problems with all the ships backed up at various seaport harbors across the country. …Thank you President Biden!
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Hodgdon going out of business, but IMR will still be available? Did the guy know where the twin to his one remaining brain cell disappeared to?

Boolit Buddy
    Shipping is one of the big issues today and shipping powder has some major restrictions.
    For example, when we tried to import raw nitro cellulose from overseas, container shipping restrictions were just crazy for any flammable. Besides costing almost 4x the normal price, containers were required to have gunwale placement, so as to be easier to dump over board in case of a fire. Then the trucking out of port and to destination was over 2x normal container cost. All these extra charges for hazardous/flammable material shipping just priced everything out of sight and makes ups hazmat look like a bargain...

Boolit Master
    I don't believe it.

My first reaction to any such story is, "Does this make sense?" and this one doesn't. (But I'm sure a lot of our Democrat friends hope it is true; you know, to "fight crime" and "save the children").

Sadly some men gossip as much as women. Gossips LOVE to be first in their circle to share the "straight scoop" they just got from some guy who swears it's true. Other men enjoy watching the gullible run in panicked circles screaming, "The sky is falling!" so gut fear stories like this one get made up to feed the rumor mill.

Giants like Sear's and RCA died but it was no surprise. I suppose Hodgdon will also die some day but I suspect we'll all be crispy fried by global warming before it matters very much.

Boolit Master
    crazy thoughts going though my head on this one. Steve Kehrwald, has yet to chime in on this one.
    just wondering who will get the last $800 jug of Varget.

I can't imagine the frustration a local gun shop that carries reloading supplies is going through currently. I've been reloading for 40+ years now, I've never seen it this bad. Rumors are bound to go around, they have during every shortage I've been through. Yet, everything came back eventually. I also realize current prices are driving a lot of people short of insanity.

Shop owners. Some are riding it out as best they can and doing their best. Others like the one mentioned in the original post, are bitter about the money they're not making if they only had stock to sell. Of the two local shops in my area, they're good people. Sure, their prices have gone up but not to the point of selling it for what it cost them either.

As for reloading being a dying hobby? Then who's buying primers, powder, brass, bullets, presses, scales, dies...etc? Apparently, someone forgot to notify the many companies who are in business to sell exactly those items. I'm sure they'd like to know when they are going to get in some quality time with their family and friends. They've been too busy at work to do anything but just that, work, work, and work.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

If it is not from the company that say it then I will not take what someone will say in a place like that . Unless it is someone I know for years . Some will say anything to make them self feel good and think they know all. Just for what the person said about reloading is dying tells alot about the person since they did not check on what really going on .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master

Don`t you just love the internet rumor mills?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Grinch View Post
    Like most businesses and manufacturers, they probably have issues getting their material and supplies. I’m sure everyone has seen the news of the “supply chain” problems with all the ships backed up at various seaport harbors across the country. …Thank you President Biden!
    Google those ships you are seeing on the news take a look at the plimsoll lines on em those ships are EMPTY.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by starnbar View Post
    Google those ships you are seeing on the news take a look at the plimsoll lines on em those ships are EMPTY.
    How would they make any money sending empty ships across the Pacific and letting them sit there for weeks?
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JSnover View Post
    How would they make any money sending empty ships across the Pacific and letting them sit there for weeks?
    They haven't been across the Pacific they are waiting to get loaded from here.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast