Inline FabricationRepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad DataWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Mold for .30 Carbine

The one thing that many reloaders miss in loading the 30 carbine is that it loads just like a pistol with a straight wall case, without a rim. The case headspace's on the case mouth and with pressure, multiple reloads, the brass grows, plus the case mouth should be expanded for seating a cast bullet, especially and then crimped, only to a straight case, so the cartridge headspace is maintained. Lead shaving on the mouth of multiple loaded cases can build up, causing worn disconnector issues or a round to be fired with the bolt slightly out of battery. I have personally seen a 30 M-1 shear a right side bolt lug off, in a firing slightly out battery, incident. Examination of the remaining ammo indicated lead shavings w lube mixed was the cause, when combined with a slightly worn disconnector. Luckily no one was to the right of the shooter on the line. Took a new disconnector and bolt for repair. The 110-130 RN cast plain base works well for me when sized to groove diameter if PCed nose down in a rack. My 30 M-1s shoot to 1" at 50-100 with H-110/296. Plus the bullet shoots to the factory ammo POA. I prefer the Lyman 130 grain PBRN, but have owned the mould for many decades.
    I have carried mine on stake-outs with the sheriff's department, at perp's houses, with J bullets, of course. Handy rifle for inside a vehicle, CQB or home defense.
    The intent of the 30 Carbine was to replace the sidearm, not to be a battle rifle. Most noted disabling shot failures were when the little carbine was used as a battle rifle. Use of equipment beyond its intended purpose is almost a classic SOP of the military.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    To reduce the incident of shaving lead from the sides of cast bullets I've found that the best practice is to do bullet seating and crimping as two separate operations. I always chamfer the case mouths on new brass to make sure that there are no sharp edges to scrape on the bullets. For both pistol and rifle cartridges I bell the case mouth just enough that half the height of the gas check will enter the case. It's extra work, but I haven't had shaved lead since I started doing case prep this way.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    That bullet will not stabilize in the M1 carbine's twist.
    Google says the twist is 1 in 20. That is one slow twist. I also read that some 32-20's were also 1 in 20.

Boolit Master
    I once had the Lyman 311576 mold that Lyman made specifically for the carbine. Gave it to a fellow club member for his carbine, he was vary pleased with the results.

Cramer #50's if you can find 1 of there 2 cavity molds. 1 cavity is a sp and the other a hp.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Boolit Grand Master

I don't know about "best" but I have been happy with the Lyman mold that casts a 130-131 grain bullet.
    Last edited by lightman; 09-15-2023 at 12:10 PM.

I use the Lee C309-120-R dual cavity mold and use homemade aluminum gas checks.
    I cast them and put on the gas checks, then size them, after that I powder coat them and resize them.
    Seems to work fine for me.
    Yeah, Lee, I know, I'm cheap.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12