Lee PrecisionInline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: What alloy for buckshot?

Boolit Bub

What alloy for buckshot?

Thinking about getting into pouring and loading some Buckshot. I know harder is better. Would clip on wheel weight alloy be hard enough for good patterns and performance, or should I look to a harder alloy?

Boolit Master

I was able to buy high antimony (6 1/2%) lead at one time, maybe Lyman #2
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master

Hardball alloy is 92-6-2, easily made by mixing linotype and pure lead 50-50. Or just buy it (Hardball) from Roto-Metals. I used it to make up some #1 buckshot last summer, water dropped, it tested BHN 22. As Hogtamer said, Lyman #2, 90-5-5, will make good buckshot but it's a little more expensive due to the extra tin.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

I made some buckshot with hardball alloy 92/6/2 and sold it to no complaints. The weight will drop a bit with harder alloy as lead is the heaviest ingredient. Looked up Magnum shot and it runs between 4% and 5% antimony. Hard should hold shape better softer carries more momentum downrange.

I'm thinking one would be close with COWW's and a bit of tin, especially from pewter which will probably have some antimony in it. Enough Sb so it doesn't dilute that in the WW alloy.

You may wish to roll the buckshot in a little graphite to help it avoid corroding and sticking together. If done in a tumbler it knocks the sprue from the mold down and yields a better sphere. But even just rolled around a cool whip container with a little graphite lubricant should help.

Ok there was one complaint on that shot. Cost too much to make in terms of labor and alloy to actually make money on it. Takes a lot of casting to fill a bag with buckshot. 10# of hardball alloy plus labor makes it a marginal item for selling. Works well to feed ones own shotgun but as a money making gig it was lacking.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master

I bought 10 lbs of Roger’s OO buck that was outstanding. I cast my own #1.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    00 buck,Water dropped wheel weights with 2% tin. Don’t know how hard they are, this is close range hog blasting ammo! (it works well)Guess I need to pattern this mess one day! Good luck to you.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Master

I use clipons and water drop them. Then powder coat.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~