RepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingWidenersLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading

Thread: Advice on shaving a front sight?

Banned

Advice on shaving a front sight?

I’m going to do one more range session to confirm but it looks like I can’t have a 6 o’clock hold with my new to me H&R Model 999. Covering the target with the front sight (combat hold?) works but is not my 54 year preference. The rear sight is only adjustable for elevation. Most probably because of the top break latch. The revolver hits about 2.5 inches low at 25 meters.

Any advice for shaving and rebluing (mat preferred) the front sight?

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Butzbach View Post
    I’m going to do one more range session to confirm but it looks like I can’t have a 6 o’clock hold with my new to me H&R Model 999. Covering the target with the front sight (combat hold?) works but is not my 54 year preference. The rear sight is only adjustable for elevation. Most probably because of the top break latch. The revolver hits about 2.5 inches low at 25 meters.

Any advice for shaving and rebluing (mat preferred) the front sight?
    To determine the amount of correction needed use the expression X = RE/D where

X is the amount to be removed from the front sight

R is the sight radius

E is the elevation error

D is the target distance.

All dimensions are in INCHES

Measure the height of the front sight from the bottom radius of the barrel to the top of the front sight. You can then remove metal in small increments, repeating the measurement until you have removed exactly the right amount.

I have had good results using Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black to touch up the filed area to produce a flat black finish.

Minor windage adjustments can be made by thinning the front sight, measuring carefully the width of the blade and flat filing a wee bit off the side where you want the point of impact to move. This is easier than trying to widen the rear sight notch in the frame and trying to keep everything true and square without a milling machine.
    Last edited by Outpost75; 10-18-2021 at 09:36 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

On my 70's? vintage H&R 999 Sportsman, the windage adjustment is in the rear sight with opposing screws and the front sight is elevation adjustable via a screw on the muzzle end of the sight.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    In my shoes. And where ever they take me.
    Switch to a heavier, slower load will bring your impact up.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Misery-Whip View Post
    Switch to a heavier, slower load will bring your impact up.
    Good thought but it's a .22

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    To determine the amount of correction needed use the expression X = RE/D where

X is the amount to be removed from the front sight

R is the sight radius

E is the elevation error

D is the target distance.

All dimensions are in INCHES

Measure the height of the front sight from the bottom radius of the barrel to the top of the front sight. You can then remove metal in small increments, repeating the measurement until you have removed exactly the right amount.

I have had good results using Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black to touch up the filed area to produce a flat black finish.

Minor windage adjustments can be made by thinning the front sight, measuring carefully the width of the blade and flat filing a wee bit off the side where you want the point of impact to move. This is easier than trying to widen the rear sight notch in the frame and trying to keep everything true and square without a milling machine.
    I've got windage handled with the rear sight. Thank you very much for the formula and the bluing tip!
    Last edited by Butzbach; 10-18-2021 at 10:40 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    On my 70's? vintage H&R 999 Sportsman, the windage adjustment is in the rear sight with opposing screws and the front sight is elevation adjustable via a screw on the muzzle end of the sight.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk
    Well my face is red! I thought that screw was just to remove the front sight blade. My 999 was made in 1995 and it has the screw. Looks like just a 1/4 turn makes quite an adjustment too. Thank you very much for the info!

Boolit Grand Master
    The formula still works without a file, X just equals sight movement in the case of adjustable sights.

It may not be exact in the real world, but it should get you close.

Robert

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    The formula still works without a file, X just equals sight movement in the case of adjustable sights.

It may not be exact in the real world, but it should get you close.

Robert
    Another good thought. Thanks!