Reloading EverythingRepackboxTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cool things where you live.

Boolit Master

Corn, seas of corn…..when I first moved here four years ago from NH we took a ride out of town…after about thirty miles of corn, we turned back and said “just like the brochure”….

I miss my Florida swamps.
    “I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." the duke

Boolit Grand Master

Ive been in all lower 48 and most of Canada. There is always something to see if you look around even if its a walk up main street in a dusty little town in the middle of nowhere Nebraska and find a barbed wire buffalo statue
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

After reading what everyone else has posted I realize we don't have much here. Near me is the Toltec Mounds Start Park. Its open for tours to the public. Not too far away we have Mountains and Lakes, most of which have State Parks and offer camping spots and fishing. At one time Camp Robinson (near Little Rock) and the Little Rock Air Base (near Jacksonville) were pretty much open to the public, but not anymore. And we have the Clinton Presidential Library...............!!!

Boolit Master
    I can reach 75% of the population of the USA within one days drive of where we live. Road trips are always a new adventure.
    Gulf coast of Alabama, Mississippi, and Florida, Dallas, New Orleans, coastal areas of SC and NC, museums in DC, etc. Even NYC in a day if I were so inclined.
    East Tennessee

A lot of unsettled (BLM) land, our club owned shooting range (free to members) only ten miles from my door, and the National Automobile Museum in Reno. Cars from the very beginning when they used tillers instead of steering wheels, and it makes you think, where do you start designing a car if it's never been done before?. Driver on left, middle, right? Clutch brake gas, or clutch gas brake, or gas clutch brake, or ?????.

Boolit Master

Raystown Lake...
    Gun control is not about guns.

Boolit Master

We do have interesting wildlife around here...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wildlife.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	57.5 KB 
ID:	290747

But, we are mostly know for clowns..

Name:	clown.jpeg 
Views:	14 
Size:	33.2 KB 
ID:	290748
    Remember the Law of Probability - The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.

You can travel around our county, and pretty much believe that you are on the set of "My Name is Earl".

Aside from that, I don't have to go more than a mile to shoot/hunt. Good camping just a few miles away. And on a cool fall evening, you can smell the marijuana being harvested. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

There's a hole in the ground about 7 miles south that 100,000,000 gallons of 72 degree water comes out of every day. In the winter it is chock full of manatee.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Spring_State_Park
    The essence of education is self reliance- T.H. White.

Currently seeking wood carving tools, wood planes, froes, scorps, spokeshaves... etc....

Quote Originally Posted by beezapilot View Post
    There's a hole in the ground about 7 miles south that 100,000,000 gallons of 72 degree water comes out of every day. In the winter it is chock full of manatee.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Spring_State_Park
    I've been there! Interesting place.
    Let's go Brandon!

Boolit Buddy
    We have the ruins of Ft McKavett just up the road, an 1850s frontier fort, now a state historical park. Beyond that, on the San Saba River (and on private property) is the Ranger Camp, the base for the Ranger Company in this part of West Central Texas. Jim Gillette spoke of it to his book "Six Years With the Texas Rangers".

Boolit Master
    Lake Superior, literally. And also Superior Shooters Supply. Timber Wolves too.

I left some things out. I was reminded by posts from others.

Maine has an interesting law. If land isn't posted it's open to non-destructive "trespass". What that means is that most of the state is open to hunting. I don't post my land.

We also have an intact fort from 150 years ago, Ft. Knox that protected the mouth of the Penobscot river with its 14" guns. One or two of which still remain. I don't think any of their guns was ever fired in anger. It's a nice place to explore on a hot summer day because it has natural A/C. Bring a flashlight. It's a nice place to watch July 4 fireworks. In the same area is the Penobscot narrows bridge with it's observatory on top of one of the towers. It overlooks Ft. Knox and what the fort was protecting.
    Let's go Brandon!

Boolit Master
    Several National Forests and National Parks (the Tonto NF is in our back yard). The White Mountains, Grand Canyon, Oak Creek, the Sky Islands, Tombstone, and really nice winters. However summer is a little warm.
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Thousands of acres of BLM land to play on, lots of elk to hunt, wonderful dirt biking, the nation's only public land set aside specifically for motorcycle trials, big mountains, White Sands monument, The Trinity site, Carlsbad Caverns, The blue hole, tons of breweries, numerous hot springs, and plenty of other cool stuff. Also a demoncrat run government that is running everything into the ground, junkies and homeless everywhere in the cities, terrible crime rates, awful poverty, and plenty of other bad stuff. But the weather is really nice so I'm still here for now.

Boolit Master

Name:	6780FB27-22F0-431D-A797-B8561F689EF0.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	38.0 KB 
ID:	290808

We have some 14,000’ peaks across the highway from our place.

Edit: apparently we live in China
    8500' Wet Mountain Valley, Colorado

Too funny tja6435! And no snow issues since it falls down and away from the peaks.
    Let's go Brandon!

Boolit Buddy
    I live in Volcano Hawaii a little more than 2 miles from the edge of Halemaumau crater, now filled with over a thousand foot deep lake of molten lava in the world's most active volcano Kilauea. Last eruption in 2018 we had over 50,000 earthquakes in a 72 hour period, was not even worth standing up as you would be on the ground in a minute anyway. If you are on the highway the asphalt looks like a giant black ribbon being shaken as you see many huge waves in the road. Interesting to watch a 10,000 gallon water catchment tank do the hula and then toss its lid 20 feet away along with a 1000 or so gallons out the hole! Still not something you see or experience everyday and definitely awe inspiring as you see Madame Pele in all her glory. Sorry unable to post pics

Boolit Master
    bakerjw got my attention when he mentioned Thunder Valley. Back in the 70's SWMBO and I were in the stands at Thunder Valley watching a series of competitions in drag racing, everything from mild to wild vehicle descriptions. Stock class, modified, funny cars, rail jobs, everything. One rail job came to the line with the new (to me) design of a rear-mounted engine (before that time all rails had front-mounted engines). That ride had to be push-started by a pickup truck. The truck made 2 attempts to get the rail's engine running and the third push did the job. The rail's driver had the gas pedal on the floor so when the engine fired up the rear tires spun really fast. The rail wasn't moving forward, just slowly crawling forward and smoking the pavement. However the push truck kept moving forward and caught up with it. The rail's expanded rear tires hooked onto the truck's front bumper and launched the truck up and forward and completely on top of the rail. None of the truck's tires were touching the pavement. Now the rail, with the truck on top, was slowly drifting down the track. The driver shut down the rail's engine and the crowd was screaming that the driver must be crushed under the weight of the truck on the rail. Two wreckers hurried onto the track and hooked onto the truck and lifted it off of the rail - and the driver hopped out of the rail and waved to all the spectators to show that he was OK. And the crowd went WILD. Everyone at the track was shouting and screaming with joy. The cage that was built over the driver's cockpit had done its job of saving him. This a memory that lingers with me even after all the years since it happened. Long live Thunder Valley.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by BJK View Post
    I left some things out. I was reminded by posts from others.

Maine has an interesting law. If land isn't posted it's open to non-destructive "trespass". What that means is that most of the state is open to hunting. I don't post my land.

We also have an intact fort from 150 years ago, Ft. Knox that protected the mouth of the Penobscot river with its 14" guns. One or two of which still remain. I don't think any of their guns was ever fired in anger. It's a nice place to explore on a hot summer day because it has natural A/C. Bring a flashlight. It's a nice place to watch July 4 fireworks. In the same area is the Penobscot narrows bridge with it's observatory on top of one of the towers. It overlooks Ft. Knox and what the fort was protecting.
    Thank you - I was trying to remember the name of Ft. Knox. I remember as a kid visiting and I could climb completely inside the muzzle of one of those guns. That was a long time ago - I doubt they are as accessable now as they were then.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast