RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackboxReloading Everything
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cool things where you live.

Boolit Master

Kennedy Space Center and Cape Canaveral Air Force Station are directly across the Indian River from me. Every space launch, hundreds of them, have been observed, good and bad, since the 60's here. It's is a hoot to round the point out of Eddie Creek in the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge at 4:00 a.m. to see NASA's Pad 39B to the south all lit up, or a launch from the duck blind "that close" at 5:00 a.m.

Horizontal thrust is good and it's vibration stirs your inner meniscus (parts holding organs in place) but NOTHING rocks your soul like the vertical thrust and vibration of the Space Shuttle (Atlas V, Saturn V in its day), when windows shake and car alarms go off community wide! EVERYBODY goes outside to watch the ascent.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

Shiloh, Corinth, Brice's Crossroads if you are a Civil War buff.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Buffalo WY (a.k.a. Durant ) Scene of Owen Wister’s masterpiece of American literature “ The Virginian” Johnson County War,Wagon Box fight. General Reno learned his Civil War tactics fighting the Arapaho ,Blackfeet, Shoshone,Crow,Cheyenne Indians .Jim Bridger country,Bozeman Trail,Big Horn Mountains, Jim Gatchall Mueseum all in a little town of less than 5K.

Boolit Bub
    Eastern Indiana here. Stomping grounds of the Delaware and Shawnee tribes. We have a few mounds and lots of artifacts to be found in the crop fields.
    Just over the line in Ohio there is Fort Recovery. Largest defeat of American troops by the tribes circa 1790.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tankgunner59 View Post
    One day he asked where I am from, I said Quincy, IL. He replied, Illinois huh?
    My mom is from Quincy. I spent MANY a summers there visiting cousins, aunts and uncles. Great bluffs overlooking the Mississippi river.
    “Coincidence is God’s way of remaining anonymous.”

Boolit Master
    Everything imaginable concerning racing. The 500, nhra, dirt track, nascar, motorcycles, I'm sure I'm missing a bunch, but you get the idea. Indianapolis has become an international foodie mecca, too, because of our considerable international community. I like that, because I love to experience culture through food!

Absolutely nothing....... Just the way I like it!
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Appalachain Trail is almost at my doorstep, Grand Canyon of PA is within driving distance, and the Gettysburg Battlefield is within an hour drive. A French and Indian War fort was just a few miles away, an Indian village existed within a quarter mile of my house, the Shawnee people had a valley less than a mile from me, and tribes of the Iroquois Nation and others roamed this area.

Boolit Master
    The biggest draw right here is the Big Sur coast. We also have the Laguna Seca Raceway which is also the local shooting range. Years ago some knucklehead "found" a bullet in a parking lot so the range gets shut down for events now. I've only been to the Raceway once during a race. It was the Lotus weekend which was lightly staffed and I couldn't find the parking. I finally got some direction from a gal on a scaffold. "You're ON A HOT TRACK!"

We also have the Aquarium, Carmel and 17 mile drive.
    Last edited by Mal Paso; 10-19-2021 at 10:47 AM.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by trails4u View Post
    Absolutely nothing....... Just the way I like it!
    I am with you. I do not want to be near an "interesting" place because that attracts "idiots".

I enjoy time with my two best friends....Peace and Quite. They are good friends and will let me bring my other two friends, Smith and Wesson, whenever I want to. They only limitations I have to shooting are self imposed. I limit myself to air guns during bow and muzzleloader season if the guys are hunting at the the hunt camp next to me.

It is easy to find God here. I know He is everywhere, but I suspect He enjoys the woods and fields more than the "interesting" playgrounds where most of His unruly children spend their time.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy

I went to Brice's Crossroads while in ROTC. Very cool and interesting place

Boolit Buddy

Before the interstate came through, there was a place where you, if you stopped at a red light, put the car in neutral, you would actually back up the hill. I forgot what is called but there were 2 places here that you could do that.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rondog View Post
    Been there, cool museum! I love museums of all kinds, I remember this was a good one.
    I stop in just to smell.

Boolit Master
    Hi...
    South central Pennsylvania...nothing of interest around here.
    Unless, of course, you are interested in s little dustup that occurred up the road about 20 miles from my house in a little town called Gettysburg...maybe some of you have heard about it. It was in all the papers at the time.
    Only about an hour away from Valley Forge, Pa where George Washington spent a long winter with the Continental Army camping. Brandywine Battlefield is close by there also.
    Liberty Bell over in Philadelphia is sort of famous...only a couple of hours away.
    Nice train museum in Strasburg, Pa about a half hour away.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Snow. Lots and lots of snow.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Snow. Lots and lots of snow.
    Wish I still had knees to enjoy it, when I had the knees, didn't have the money to ski out west. Always wanted to ski on REAL mountains.

Boolit Master
    Less than half a state away from me is Friendship, Indiana, site of the NMLRA Walter Cline Range and the neo-rendevous primitive area across the Maxine Moss bridge over the creek to the south. During the spring and fall national competitions, there's also the adjoining big flea markets on the eats and west side of the Walter Cline range. Much food and friendly people there. About an hour to the northeast, there is Metamora, Indiana, site of the autumn Old Canal Days on the first weekend in October, with a working section of the Whitewater Canal System with a functioning lock and the only remaining example of a functioning "covered bridge" wooden aqueduct in the US, carrying the canal over Duck Creek which flows underneath. It's an interesting design with a 75' arched wooden truss. Somebody sure did their homework for that one. The railroad still runs alongside it and still in use for local historical passenger traffic for fun rides. My favorite detail there is the outdoor barbecue ribs and burnt ends various vendors set up in the town. One word of warning, though - I'm not certain that there are funnel cakes and elephant ears available, so it may not comply with the official secret unwritten/unspoken standard for what constitutes a true "festival". Theory has it that these are necessary follow-ups for the blessings of beer, burgers, brats and metts to flow freely and properly satisfy.

375supermag, I have a question about the Gettysburg battlefield and a peculiar behavior of drivers in that area which has mystified me. Several years ago, I went there for the Remembrance Day weekend and I noticed that even though the speed limit was 45mph, people were going 15-25mph for long distances in the general region of and out into the countryside beyond the battlefield area. This wasn't just one proverbial old-guy-with-a-hat barely able to drive. Mostly in-state drivers were doing this puttering along in an unusually slow manner with no visible reason to explain it. They weren't rubber-necking and there were many doing this. I thought I missed a sign or a memo something. They weren't tourists - I saw plenty of those slowing down to look over the cannons along the road, but they got back up to speed once past the point of interest. Have you noticed this? Just curious. . .

Boolit Master

'University Town' here without much to offer...unless you're into campus bars. Does have the Spurlock Museum if you're into natural history/archeology..small but interesting...and right down the road from me is Frasca Aviation and Rudy Frasca's collection of classic and antique airplanes. Open to the public (by appointment), the collection is somewhat unique in that ALL of the aircraft are kept in flyable condition (with up-to-date licensing and annual inspections!) by a full-time maintenance staff. In years gone by, I actually logged a bit of time in the collection's Aeronca 7EC when it belonged to the University of Illinois Institute of Aviation and also worked on a couple of Rudy's restorations when I was active in EAA. Still enjoy just walking through the hangers once or twice a year.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Grand Master

If you are interested Virginia is the third largest states to produce wine - and there are a lot of wineries and meaderies in the state - in fact the state makes a map of where they are and how to get to them. Including their hours and seasonal opening - we have a couple favorites.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I used to live about 85 miles from Reno NV . The first week of August there's more horse power on the streets than ....... Well in an afternoon I saw 3 real 428 side oiler Cobras , and a half dozen factory 327 fuely Corvettes . Ever seen a Morris Minor with a 454 in it ? Blown Hemi 32' Vicki ? One year a guy drove a Hemi 68' Challenger down from Saskatoon Saskatchewan , it had 6,800 miles on it .......

In September they have the Air Races . Yeah a 6,000 HP funny car launch is a rush but a 4,600 HP Bearcat F8F turning an 9 mile lap at 496 mph will just make a power junky melt .

The only local claim to Fame I have these days is the home base of drugs for guns is 25 miles south . Its also the home of Brodix machine , they make a few cylinder heads . Its also the world HQ of the Christian Motorcycle Club .

30 miles north is Mansfield Arkansas which features the only grave yard in North America with a federal highway passing through it .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast