RotoMetals2RepackboxLee PrecisionReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad DataTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cool things where you live.

Boolit Master

Cool things where you live.

One of the best things about an online community, and this is certainly one of the best behaved that I've ever seen, is getting perspectives from people in different regions of the country. So many things that we take for granted, others would find exceptionally cool.

I am a fan of the NHRA. No one in the organization gets political. No grandstanding or anything, they just go to race.
    This weekend was the Thunder Valley Nationals at the Bristol Motor Speedway. Weather conditions brought us rain Saturday and stiff NE winds yesterday. My wife and I were moving some firewood to the front porch and cleaning up a few things in the yard and we heard a drumming BBBBRRRRRRRRRR sound for about 5 seconds. It was like OMG! That's up at the drag strip. Sure enough, they were running nitro qualifying rounds and the wind was just right for us to hear it.

So. That's our cool thing.
    “Coincidence is God’s way of remaining anonymous.”

I’m a big fan of drag racing and modified diesel teuck&tractor pulling. Other home snd property up on south mountain is about 1/8 mile from our local strip,mason dixon drag strip. During race season you can hear the cars at the track,it was a treat for a gear head like myself.

Forgot the other cool stuff lol C&O canal is located,section of the App trail is accessible off of my property,lots of fishing,hunting and loads of other outdoor activities.
    Last edited by swingingblock2520; 10-18-2021 at 02:49 PM.
    J.m Shrader

Banned
    Chuck Norris and Lyle Lovett have ranches just East of here on HWY 90.

Boolit Grand Master

Thats fun. Near us at home was a dirt track. Great racing on Saturday Night under lights and even had a "bring what you drove in" race. Lots of old Impalas, Chevelles and daily drivers guys just wanted to bomb around a track in. Only rule was a helmet and seat belt. Wreck it and you pay the tow
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Don't see them very often, but it's always a thrill to see mule deer in our neighborhood. Saw 5 in our front yard once about 3am, eating bird seed droppings. Saw this big boy out our patio door, browsing in the schoolyard across the street.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0372-2.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	67.1 KB 
ID:	290441

Forgot we have a dirt track too,Hagerstown Speedway lol
    J.m Shrader

Boolit Master

Here in Maine it's nature, fishing, hunting, the coast, foodie destination. Lotsa forest, the most forested state in the nation. In the summer, hiking, App' trail northern terminus is on Mt. Katahdin. In winter skiiing, snowshoeing, and snowmobiling. Acadia national park. Lotsa micro breweries and a few distilleries.

Heck, in my backyard I've had moose, coyote, fox, whitetail deer, black bear.

I guess not too much going on up here. Mostly outdoor stuff where you make your own good time on the one day of summer that we get.

Oh, the flights of flamingos... when they come through it's just spectacular!

Quote Originally Posted by bdicki View Post
    Been there, cool museum! I love museums of all kinds, I remember this was a good one.

Boolit Grand Master

Been to Acadia many times, last time three years ago. Grew up in Palmyra Maine until I was 12, Dad took us to Acadia almost every year. Took us out of school several times to go there. Told us we would learn more there than we did one day in school, and he was actually the Truant Officer for the school as well!

Here we often hear USNavy jets fly over - that's not a problem, like to hear them.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    Close to da Creaux,Hang'n out in Swamp's and Bayou's
    Hurricanes and rain, Lotsa rain this year, Cajun stuff, Swamps and mosquitos,

Our women we keep to ourselves. So don't come here looking for the women !

Boolit Master
    Five minutes away is great clam digging in the spring, crabbing in the summer and winter, and mushroom hunting in the fall, plus five good bass lakes within 15 minutes drive which also have good trout fishing. Duck hunting is pretty good on the bay only five minutes away, too.

Boolit Master
    I have a neighbor that is into building nostalgia funny cars, his brother drives it, He as been asking me for years to come watch him race at Martin, Mi.
    This year, with the kids out of the house and me not working that particular weekend we finally had time to go and watch.
    Great people, fantastic hospitality, and an amazing time!!!
    A few minutes before they were due to tow the racecar to the track my buddy comes up to me and says "Hey, do you want to watch this from the track? If security says anything just tell them you are my clutch mechanic."

I got to watch the race from behind the starting line!!! Nothing could compare to standing next to a 8,000+horsepower nitro methane burning funny car when it launches. 268+mph in the eighth mile,,, 7 gallons of nitro to go that far. (And yes, I did get video on my cell phone.)

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    We have the "Brooklyn Bridge" here in Brooklyn . . . . Michigan. Does that count? ?

Outside of town we have the Michigan International Speedway . . . . guess they call it there International Speedway now - should be familiar to NASCAR fans - we pretty much hibernate on race weekends due to the traffic. They also hold "Faster Horses" at the track.

Boolit Master
    I was chatting with a friend in Washington state one evening and she told me about hearing the sea lions on the beach from her house.
    “Coincidence is God’s way of remaining anonymous.”

Banned

I actually live in an area that most folks in most other parts of the country have never heard of. I lived in Georgia for a while 40 years ago and worked for a small landscaping operation. One day he asked where I am from, I said Quincy, IL. He replied, Illinois huh? Is that near Chicago? We are located 22 miles up the Mississippi river from Hannibal, MO, Mark Twains home town. Central to some of his best known novels. Everybody who's ever asked me where Quincy is, I asked them if they know where Hannibal, MO is and they said oh yeah. I said we're way up the river 22 miles. lol However, I love the turning of the leaves and our winters. I know most of you will think I'm nuts for loving winter but I do.

Boolit Master
    We have "METH HEADS". They are fun to watch. Had a early "20'S" girl come in the other night. She had on a Turkey Hunting jacket WITH A SOLID FACE cover from eyes down. She was getting something by me and "I SAID , NICE JACKET. She said your not supposed to see me. When she left i asked the kid by me , "Who's That, he said,..... MORGAN ****. What's up with the face mask Coat. Scratched face because of METH......................hiding it..

Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village to start around here. Been a member for years. Just walking through the Village on an off day is a good day wasted. Weekends they have shows of all kind. But huge crowds.

Or you make your own fun:

https://youtu.be/Ln3ojlG3H10

Boolit Master
    The final round was great. The first round of Top Fuel was also great. 60 pounds of boost at 52 degrees meant record run or huge blow up.

It's been many years since I've been in a shop welding up the windows in the side of the block they make on the weekends. Been a part of NHRA since the mid '80's.

The best thing around me is that my closest neighbor is over a half mile away.

Jim147,I never tore up any of my race cars much more than drive lines. But I have spent many a Friday nights in to Saturday mornings tearing down 466 internationals & 12/24v Cummins that spun mains,lifted heads,broken main caps or a myriad of other things let loose from entirely too much boost(100+psi) too much fuel & rpms or tear apart and rebuild an injection pump or injectors or turbos to have a truck or tractor back running for a pull Saturday night lol
    J.m Shrader

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast