Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad Data
WidenersInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cool things where you live.

Boolit Master

A lot of coal history in my neck of the woods. The Centrialla mine fire has been a big tourist attraction. It's no longer burning like it used to be. Outsiders would not find where it still is burning. As far as racing. We have Numidia Dragway. And Beaver springs Dragway. And big diamond outside of Minersville. And we have great hunting and nice hiking and ATV trails.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

30 minutes is the closest town which is Cody Wyo. WAY to many things here to mention. Within an hour and fifteen drive any direction you can double the sites including Yellowstone

I live on the Long Beach Peninsula in WA. 1/4 mile from the beach, Lots of sand. we are 20 minutes from Cape Disappointment State park (where Lewis and Clark Discovered the Columbia River. The Long Beach Peninsula (28 miles long Beach (the lonest continuous beach in the World!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Pipefitter View Post
    I have a neighbor that is into building nostalgia funny cars, his brother drives it, He as been asking me for years to come watch him race at Martin, Mi.
    This year, with the kids out of the house and me not working that particular weekend we finally had time to go and watch.
    Great people, fantastic hospitality, and an amazing time!!!
    A few minutes before they were due to tow the racecar to the track my buddy comes up to me and says "Hey, do you want to watch this from the track? If security says anything just tell them you are my clutch mechanic."

I got to watch the race from behind the starting line!!! Nothing could compare to standing next to a 8,000+horsepower nitro methane burning funny car when it launches. 268+mph in the eighth mile,,, 7 gallons of nitro to go that far. (And yes, I did get video on my cell phone.)

Years ago Maple Grove Raceway would allow patrons in the crosswalk behind the starting line when the cars were running. Frankly it wasn’t a great place to watch from, but we would always try to run down there when the jets were running. It was really something getting thumped in the chest by the burner pops. Unfortunately, they shut that down and no longer allow folks into the walkway when there were jets on the line. I never confirmed it, but rumor was that one of the jets kicked up a piece of gravel and either seriously injured, or killed someone (depending on who was telling the story).

ETA: I’m in the southern suburbs of Philadelphia. Independence Mall and Valley Forge are both minutes away. Funny how the locals don’t see any big deal in the history that draws tourists.
    Last edited by imashooter2; 10-21-2021 at 03:32 AM.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master

sorry, nothing but cows and corn around here. well we do have the missile silos up the road but you cant get close to them.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by BJK View Post
    Here in Maine it's nature, fishing, hunting, the coast, foodie destination. Lotsa forest, the most forested state in the nation. In the summer, hiking, App' trail northern terminus is on Mt. Katahdin. In winter skiiing, snowshoeing, and snowmobiling. Acadia national park. Lotsa micro breweries and a few distilleries.

Heck, in my backyard I've had moose, coyote, fox, whitetail deer, black bear.

I guess not too much going on up here. Mostly outdoor stuff where you make your own good time on the one day of summer that we get.

Oh, the flights of flamingos... when they come through it's just spectacular!

You never been to Oxford Plains
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

I know we take them for granted, or at least aren't as amazed as out-of-towners when they're here, but bald eagles and ospreys. I'm in NW WI and eagles are just a constant. We throw deer carcasses in the back yard and will have 20 of them on them in the middle of winter. They like to snack on the road killed deer that slowly thaw out of the snowbanks along the roads in the spring and you have to watch out lest you have one fly into you if you spook it. I've had several times where a fish that doesn't revive and take off fast enough gets snatched by a bird 10 or 20 feet from the boat.

Boolit Master
    Hi...
    Actually haven't noticed that except on the major highways during tourist season. During tourist season it is best to stay away from Gettysburg...traffic is bumper to bumper all day.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by BJK View Post
    Here in Maine it's nature, fishing, hunting, the coast, foodie destination. Lotsa forest, the most forested state in the nation. In the summer, hiking, App' trail northern terminus is on Mt. Katahdin. In winter skiiing, snowshoeing, and snowmobiling. Acadia national park. Lotsa micro breweries and a few distilleries.

Heck, in my backyard I've had moose, coyote, fox, whitetail deer, black bear.

I guess not too much going on up here. Mostly outdoor stuff where you make your own good time on the one day of summer that we get.

Oh, the flights of flamingos... when they come through it's just spectacular!

What's the limit on them Pink Birds !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    Springfield Armory National Historic Site and Museum

Quote Originally Posted by 375supermag View Post
    Hi...
    Actually haven't noticed that except on the major highways during tourist season. During tourist season it is best to stay away from Gettysburg...traffic is bumper to bumper all day.
    Yup, I avoid it mid May to October, and when I do go, I'm most likely to take the Tanneytown or Emmitsburg RD. exits and come in from the South avoiding the town and diamond.

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    You never been to Oxford Plains
    Correct.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    What's the limit on them Pink Birds !
    Gary
    As many as you want Gary, they're pests so Maine DF&G has no bag limits on them. Don't even need a plugged gun.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithaca Gunner View Post
    Yup, I avoid it mid May to October, and when I do go, I'm most likely to take the Tanneytown or Emmitsburg RD. exits and come in from the South avoiding the town and diamond.
    Hi...
    I usually roll into Gettysburg from the north on Rt.15 during tourist season. Generally only travel to Gettysburg during tourist season to visit Redding's gun shop and Redding's auction house for gun auctions.

Nothing, unless you want to count Cabela's 30 miles north of me. Haven't been there in years, too much traffic in this metro mess.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Well let’s see! We have more freedom than most states. Thousands of square miles of public land to enjoy, waterfowl hunting, upland bird hunting, many species of small game, Pronghorn, 2 species of deer, elk, moose, bear, buffalo (Bison), lion, Bighorn Sheep, Mountain Goat, wolves, and many types of varmints to hunt! Several large lakes/reservoirs with a variety of fish, mountain streams having several species of trout (including Golden Trout), and pretty fair ice fishing! Many hundreds of miles of trails to hike .....some through the most remote areas of the lower 48!

We only have 2 interstates (often shut down due to weather conditions), 2 cities exceeding (barely) 50K people, and having the lowest population of our 50 states! We enjoy having one of the windiest, driest, coldest states in the union.....which hopefully, will help us maintain our lowest population status!

We have a pretty amazing history.....the early trappers, the pioneers, the Indian Wars, the Cattle Wars, The Hole in the Wall Gang (Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid) along with many other notable (Tom Horn, Big Nose George) outlaws, the Pony Express routes, The Oregon, Mormon, and California Trails as well as several alternate (called “cut offs”) routes. A few notable places of interest......the Buffalo Bill Museum, 2 beautiful National Parks, Devils Tower. And, for the Paleontologists among us.....many dig sites across the state, one of the highest recognized privately owned Dinosaur Museums in the world (Thermopolis) and Fossil Butte National Monument (Kemmerer).

Summary: a pretty nice place to visit.....but, please continue to “move along - there’s nothing to see here”! memtb
    Last edited by memtb; 10-23-2021 at 09:21 AM.
    You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“LETS GO BRANDON”

We have. Texas. ��

Apparently here in Colorado a really cool thing is dope and moron migration into the state. Looking forward to moving back to my home state of Missouri or Indiana where I grew up. I miss the times spent with dad at the Indy 500 practices and time trials.

I wish the border was closed between Kolorado and Wyoming on I 25. It’s too late to save Cheyenne......so maybe close it off from the rest of Wyoming! memtb
    You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“LETS GO BRANDON”

I don’t blame you. Anytime I drive into Wyoming I think my truck is going to get vandalized because of my Colorado plates….I wouldn’t blame them either lol. I go back to Indiana and Kentucky about twice a year to see family, I am constantly reminding them not to tell people what state I am visiting from, it just makes me feel embarrassed and dirty.
    Of course it wasn’t always that way, up until the early 2000’s Colorado was a great state.
    I’m just waiting 1 year and 9 months to retire from a 25 year career and then I am grabbing the wife and dogs and we are out.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast