RepackboxLoad DataReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Cool things where you live.

Boolit Grand Master

Maine has an interesting law. If land isn't posted it's open to non-destructive "trespass". What that means is that most of the state is open to hunting. I don't post my land.

Implied Consent was a thing in Vermont, too. I think that was a North East deal but maybe not. As long as you were respectful, didn't do anything stupid and took your garbage and shell casings no-one batted an eyelash.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

Let's see if I remember a couple of odd things.

Maine: That lighthouse at West Quoddy Point is pretty cool. Had a girlfriend over in Calais once.

New Hampshire: Cog Railway is neat. Try and build that one now. Hike or drive to the top of Mt Washington and look at those chains holding down the buildings. They are not kidding with those, either. 231MPH. Only place in the world 3 jet streams converge.

Colorado: Sand Dunes in the middle of Colorado? Yup, I picked up potato's near there once destined for Newark, NJ and our troops overseas. Ever heard of Eisenhower Tunnel on I70 west of Denver? 11,000 ft and is pretty cool but if your over height with a semi you get to use Loveland which is 12,000ft. Not for the faint of heart. The Million Dollar Highway was one I ran on a number of occasions. Delivered hardware supplies on a flatbed into Telluride once. Off loaded in the street and if I remember right I could see a waterfall at the other end of the canyon. What a beautiful place but until I win the Powerball not for me and if SHTF a boxend canyon up high doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

Oregon: I remember crossing through where Chief Joseph and Nez Perce was and the truck scales being left on 24/7 so you could weigh when no-one was there and the ride down the river on I84 when a young lady in cut offs and a tank top passed me in a car with an Oregon Beavers bumper sticker and a license plate that said "TooWet". No comment on that but I still remember the most awesome lemon meringue pie in that truck stop over in Bend.

Montana: Custer National is not to be missed. Markers where all the soldiers were found so you can recreate the battle while walking along. I delivered insulation once north of Whitefish. Got to the designated area and there was a phone on a tree. Picked it up and told them I was here. Turned out it was a Gucci heir that had an island in the lake and they sent over a barge to float the entire truck over and off load. Guys told me the people had underground tunnels and all kinds of weird stuff going on. The rich really are different from us.

South Dakota: No, not lighting Mt Rushmore up at night or the caverns under it. The Mitchell Corn Palace is interesting and where is Wall Drugs?

North Dakota: And a 1 and a 2....Lawrence Welk's birthplace in Strasburg. I was once on the way back from Winnipeg, MB (Winterpeg) and had time to kill so went sideways to a little border crossing. Sat in the Customs Crossing for a couple of hours talking to the US Customs guy who was just glad to see anyone.

Wyoming: I altered a trip a little just to see Independence Rock and the carvings on the face. Little America is kinda strange. I know the American outpost in Antarctica but what's with the penguin statues? Want to avoid a little traffic and see Yellowstone? Come from the north over Bear Tooth. Nice ride.

Arizona: Too much to list but me and a buddy found a trail on the Res that led down to the Colorado river right below the Glen Canyon Dam and spent an afternoon on a sandbar drinking beer and throwing 18in rainbow back as fast as we could catch them. If you know where to look, there is a hot spring below Hoover Dam where you can soak and look for Desert Bighorn. Found it while doing a survey for AZ Game and Fish. Also found a ledge on the North Rim of The Grand Canyon that was full of fossils. Don't tell anyone I kept one of a sea shell.

Arkansas: No, didn't get any diamonds.

Mississippi: Ever visit Elvis's House he grew up in?

Utah: Found a spot on the Dixie National Forest while cruising timber to sit and have lunch that I could see Zion and Capitol Reef at the same time. Also cored a Blue Spruce on the edge of a park and aged it to 1492! Camped most of a summer there and saw a UFO. Both me and Matt were sitting around the fire and watched it over Zion. No idea what it was but it sure was unidentifed by us with the dips, backtracks and random movements.
    I also was going to deliver some shelving for a new Distribution Center in Cedar City and turned out the load was a few weeks early. Stopped at a small restaurant and asked if I could park the trailer for a week in the dirt behind the place. No problem so went in for lunch. Young lady said the hamburger was fresh so ordered up a burger and fries. Yup, sure was fresh. They slaughtered and ground it up on site and I picked a course cow hair out of the burger and it was one of the best tasting burgers I ever got anywhere. A stray hair don't bother me none.

Kansas: Hmm..Ever visit Liberal and see Dorthy's House from the Wizard of Oz? BTW a truck stop not far from there had a giant bowl of Cream of Wheat for $1

Ohio: Ever visit Dayton and see The Wright Brothers Museum at their old bike shop? No, North Carolina is still "First In Flight" so sorry, OH.

Tennessee: Lookout Mountain is not to be missed

Missouri: Scratching my head...The Topper Truck Stop with the giant Top out front was interesting. Oh, I know, I ended up in Hannibal once and looked around Tom Sawyers places.

Texas:..there is a whole lot of Texas but...Grand Canyon of Texas? Big Texan and that 72oz Steak Challenge? Oh, I know for us casters. You can visit Adobe Walls National Historic Monument and stand in the spot Billy Dixon made that historic shot.

Virginia: Much to see but you can walk around Patrick Henry's place in Brookneal. In the summer they have an old home thing where they fire up the forge and such. Out of the way but on a river so you can see how rivers were the lifeblood of travel in our history. Near one and you could ship products and live about anywhere.

New York: Big state and lot's to see but you can actually visit the Brooklyn Navy Yard where our ships that helped win WW2 were laid down. USS North Carolina, USS Iowa and the Mighty Mo, The USS Missouri.

North Carolina: Well, lot's in our adopted states but I hope this year they start the Bentonville Civil War Reenactment back up. Pretty cool stuff to see the actors in period clothes.

Idaho: How about Malad Falls? Route 12 from Lewiston to Missoula is a great ride but the time I remember most is when I was cruising timber on a 50,000 acre ranch on the Snake north of McCall. Sat on a dock one evening and caught giant catfish of some type with one of the caretakers and his Greyhound. Stopped at a summer cabin and told a guy, his wife and several kids where we saw a herd of his K Standing C cattle were in a small canyon off the beaten track. When we walked into the cabin the first thing his wife said was "can I get you boys some coffee"? Hospitality is not dead in the West.
    Last edited by jonp; 10-25-2021 at 04:59 PM.

Boolit Master
    Cool things here? I’ve got several ghosts towns with much to explore. Route 66 north of me. Indian ruins up in the hills. Lots to keep me busy.

Boolit Grand Master

Wife grew up in VT, KS then VA where her father was Old Guard and then Panama. Despite that she hasn't been far in the US. She want's a camper and truck to see what is here after we retire. Sounds good to me, let's travel.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Charlie View Post
    Lake Superior, literally. And also Superior Shooters Supply. Timber Wolves too.
    Yes, Superior Shooters Supply is awesome! They suffer from the same shortages everybody else does, but I've never seen as good a reloading/casting section at a store. Heck, they even have parts bins you can dig through for the one washer you need for a random MEC loader.

Boolit Master

We have a giant cedar tree that I never went to see until last summer. It's pretty impressive in real life...

Attachment 290901

Attachment 290902
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    Thank you - I was trying to remember the name of Ft. Knox. I remember as a kid visiting and I could climb completely inside the muzzle of one of those guns. That was a long time ago - I doubt they are as accessable now as they were then.
    It took me awhile to remember the name too. I don't think much has changed there. It's still a pretty interesting place with close to full access. Last time I was there the cannon weren't off limits. I would have loved to see it when it was fully armed with cannon. It's close to being full access. Just a few places folks can look into but not go into. One place, the powder magazine, that was completely closed.

https://www.fortknoxmaine.com/
    Let's go Brandon!

Boolit Master

The Grizzly Bear Research Lab at WSU is cool and always a hit with visitors...

Attachment 290934

Attachment 290935

But the coolest thing is just the natural beauty of the woods...

Attachment 290936
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master

We have something for most interests near our home. Houston Raceway Park is within earshot of the house when Pro Stock, Funny Car and Top Fuel are running. My cousin and I have tickets for the 2022 Springnationals. Unfortunately that will mark the last race at that drag strip where so many records have been set. It will be replaced with warehouses.

The site where Sam Houston defeated Santa Ana for Texas’s independence from Mexico is a few minutes away. The Lone Star Flight Museum, Johnson Space Center and the new spaceport are close. There’s fresh water all around and tons of salt water from Galveston Bay to the Gulf of Mexico. Beyond that there’s just a big city with all of the problems of all progressive cities.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Grand Master

Norfolk, VA - the Battleship Wisconsin is here, the Winterfest starts in December, over 600,000 light bulbs on the ship to celebrate Winterfest. It was on the local news tonite. The Wisconsin is here permanently, this is just the Winterfest celebration.

We may go look at it ourselves, although we have been there several times. All donations go to support the ship. There is usually no cost to go to the ship, but Winterfest may have some cost, but all the money goes to support the ship.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Moderator Emeritus

Lewis & Clark Caverns is actually pretty cool, 55 F year round so take a jacket. Couple hours N of Yellowstone so we get too many tourists and while they call it "tourist Season" there aren't any bag limits. There is an area close by with boulders that have a pitch to them and ring like a bell. They don't ring if moved but if left on the pile and hit with a hammer they have a tone like church bells. I have heard families play songs. Plenty of mines, and Butte boasts about lots of stuff including "The World Museum of Mining". I have seen whitetail, mule deer, antelope, elk, small game and fox and coyotes within 2 miles of the house. The neatest was a pair of Rough Legged Hawks that wintered here one year. They killed plenty of rabbits and huns but they were a joy to watch in the air.

It is all changing fast. Our library in a town of 1200 2010 census has given out 50 new library cards a month for the last 18 months. Covid has people thinking they can work from home so they can work anywhere. Neighbor bought next to me and paid the ungodly price of $450 K for a house on 3 acres. They were from Chicago and she said she had seen tough winters. Six months later, as soon as tax returns were in he quit his job and spent his time finishing the basement. They have moved now and sold their place for $650 K. Kid bought the lot kitty corner from us and put a log house on it. 1200 st ft and he finished it nice. It sod for $400 K and I would be shocked if he has 200 K into it. Nice wages for 6 months work. The other side of that coin is many employers are figuring out the work from home'ers average less than 3 hours a day and the output shows. Interesting times.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    Lewis & Clark Caverns is actually pretty cool, 55 F year round so take a jacket. Couple hours N of Yellowstone so we get too many tourists and while they call it "tourist Season" there aren't any bag limits. There is an area close by with boulders that have a pitch to them and ring like a bell. They don't ring if moved but if left on the pile and hit with a hammer they have a tone like church bells. I have heard families play songs. Plenty of mines, and Butte boasts about lots of stuff including "The World Museum of Mining". I have seen whitetail, mule deer, antelope, elk, small game and fox and coyotes within 2 miles of the house. The neatest was a pair of Rough Legged Hawks that wintered here one year. They killed plenty of rabbits and huns but they were a joy to watch in the air.

It is all changing fast. Our library in a town of 1200 2010 census has given out 50 new library cards a month for the last 18 months. Covid has people thinking they can work from home so they can work anywhere. Neighbor bought next to me and paid the ungodly price of $450 K for a house on 3 acres. They were from Chicago and she said she had seen tough winters. Six months later, as soon as tax returns were in he quit his job and spent his time finishing the basement. They have moved now and sold their place for $650 K. Kid bought the lot kitty corner from us and put a log house on it. 1200 st ft and he finished it nice. It sod for $400 K and I would be shocked if he has 200 K into it. Nice wages for 6 months work. The other side of that coin is many employers are figuring out the work from home'ers average less than 3 hours a day and the output shows. Interesting times.
    Same here. My brother is a local Detective and he said all sorts of unsavory types are moving in and crime is going up. I saw a guy at the LGS the other day with a triple man-bun trying to buy a Hi-Point. I just shook my head.

My dad has 10 acres out in the country but right off Highway 95. Old barn, old house falling apart, and an old archery factory of 14k sq. ft. that he lives in where the offices used to be. He said a Californian stopped by a couple of weeks ago and offered him $600k for the place. I told him he should have taken it and bought a small place in town. He said he'd die before he moved to town.

Land more than 20 miles from the nearest decent-sized town you couldn't hardly give away a few years ago is now going for $10k an acre, with no well or power. Figure another $50k for that. Crazy.

Boolit Buddy

Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings house where she wrote " The Yearling" and "Cross Creek" is right down from my property a few miles. We launch our boat into Orange Lake there and fish for speck and cruise up Cross Creek. They also filmed The Yearling movie there with Gregory Peck. You can tour the house and servants residence, along with her orange grove
    NRA Life Member
    Member Florida Carry
    Founding member/moderator COTEP

Boolit Master
    Nothing close here to see or do which is why I live here. The Border is mostly closed so we don't get the few tourists traveling to or from Canada going to somewhere there is something to see. Quite a few folks moving in to the area and building new houses. They must like being left alone as much as I do. Oh, one thing, 4 of my 8 neighbors and I have shooting ranges in our yards.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    My dad has 10 acres out in the country but right off Highway 95. Old barn, old house falling apart, and an old archery factory of 14k sq. ft. that he lives in where the offices used to be. He said a Californian stopped by a couple of weeks ago and offered him $600k for the place. I told him he should have taken it and bought a small place in town. He said he'd die before he moved to town.

I am not ancient but at 67 I would probably die if I had to move to town, pre rest home.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

There’s the US Navy SEALS and UDT museum in Fort Pierce, extensive equipment displays from the wars and conflicts they were in. Small theatre showing films of the history and training. Several assault and clandestine vessels. They usually have a raffle going. Latest prize was a custom AR-15 with SEALS engraving and artwork (bought a ticket for SIL, He didn’t win). Good place to spend a couple hours.
    This time of year the surf fishing starts to pick up. Great way to enjoy the beach & (hopefully) bring home dinner.

We watch 3 major winter sports along the Iditarod Trail. <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iditarod_Trail> First run, ski. or bike 350 miles or 1000 miles in a race called Iditarod Trail Invitational <https://www.iditarodtrailinvitational.com/> Next a 1000 mile snow machine race called The Iron Dog <https://www.irondog.org/> and last the Dog Sled Race called The Iditarod <https://iditarod.com/#> These races start in different road accessible areas and wind there way to McGrath, and Nome.

Boolit Master
    I live in the woods. Born here. You can often walk in the forest all day without seeing another person.

Wife came home one afternoon last week, saying casually "oh,I saw a wolf again,crossing the road" half a mile from my house.

On the other hand, I only have a one hour drive to a relatively big city. Well,big and big, I have lived in NYC and Rio De Janeiro and it was fun 30 years ago. And the wolves were different.

Peace and (the illusion of) freedom are good for now.

Cool things are too numerous to mention, but here's a link to some photos of them: https://ulstercountyny.gov

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345