RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersLee PrecisionRepackboxReloading Everything
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squirrels are chewing my new Hardie board siding

Boolit Master

Squirrels are chewing my new Hardie board siding

We just had are old vinyl siding replaced with some Hardie board siding. Looks great !
    Between 6:30-7am almost every morning, I hear this loud scratchy sound. Only lasts about 10-15 seconds.
    Come to find out, squirrels are chewing the lowest board just above ground level.
    Seems they do it to grind down their fast growing teeth.
    We have dogs but they don’t do it when the girls are outside in the yard. It’s the shaded far side of our house by our a/c unit. Hitting the wall or taping on a window gets them gone but the damage is already done.
    So does any one have a method that keeps these pests away ? I’ve read on the web and the dog hair is not working. We live inside city limits so various means of shooting are out. Thinking about sprays but It’s a light color siding so I don’t want to stain it with sprays or oils.

I might try a trap but there are sooo many of these little critters.

Mike

Boolit Grand Master

We learned dealing with this Squirrels and chipmunks are faster than most traps. Live traps work but what to do with them then. Also once the trap is set off the rest are safe. Maybe a peppermint or pepper spray will deter them but it would need to be applied on a regular basis. I dont care for poisons personally as they can affect the whole ecco system. But at times they are the best way. Another trick is aluminum foil in threads moving in the breeze will keep them away until they get used to it.

Boolit Grand Master

You could be nice ... Have-A-Heart live trap , bait with peanut butter on crackers , catch and take on a senic ride to some other place .

My Dad , who liked squirrel gumbo , had a air rifle ( BB gun actually) get real close and one shot to the head ... it wasn't a hard shot , cleaned and frozen untill he had 6 or 7 seven ... then it was Gumbo Time ... After awhile ... no more came around to visit his Pecan Tree .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    do you have a feline friend? mine brings home squirrels, chipmunks, rabbits, rats and mice continually

Boolit Master
    Close to da Creaux,Hang'n out in Swamp's and Bayou's
    Electric fence zapper,The kind used to keep cows in, One zap from one of those will have a squirrel thinking twice.

Boolit Master

they do the same at my cabin. almost routine every morning. I just let them be. Sometimes I verbally threaten them, but that doesn't seem to do much good.
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Mix up some cayenne pepper, a drop of dish soap, and water. Paint it along the base of the boards.

There is also a product to stop horses from cribbing, that may work.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Animal damage to the outside of your house is normally not covered by the homeowners policy. So stop the squirrels however is legal in your area and anyway you can.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

A few cats. Not all cats are good mousers / rodent hunters so you'll need a few.

Boolit Buddy
    Google "squirrel tube trap". Toss a handfull of corn or bird seed in it and WHAM... dead squirrel.

Get one of these and catch a bunch so you can make less trips to the country.

https://www.ruralking.com/squirrelinator-trap-only
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Grand Master

If you haven't already thrown all the siding scraps, I'd just set one up on that corner, and let the squirrels chew away on a sacrificial board.

Boolit Master
    First off I do not advise breaking any laws,, wildlife or otherwise. In many places it's ILLEGAL to trap & relocate ANY mammal that can potentially carry rabies.
    Next,, shooting, even with a pellet gun can also be illegal in many city limits.

Now,, I'm a State Certified Animal Damage Control Agent. And even I can't break laws.

If you can legally kill them,, it will take TIME & EFFORT to do this. Trapping can work,, but if you have several squirrels,, you will need several traps,, or a colony type of trap. Then you have to follow State guidelines about relocation or euthanasia.
    This doesn't prevent their relatives from coming after you remove some. And it can be an ongoing issue.

Exterior treatments such as peppermint oils & NBS-30 (a carpenter bee killer) have some success in repelling them,, but require regular treatments.

So,, I normally tell folks who have a new structure,, such as yours,, that a (2) strand lower to the ground electric fencing is the cheapest option,, and once the house ages,, AND the squirrels learn it's not easy to get to the boards,, they will move on. The only issue,, MAY be that they switch places to try & chew.

It can be a serious challenge.
    I get calls about such things,, and most often,, we use the trapping,,, followed by the repellents,,, AND adding electric fencing to a home.

Maybe a call to a professional in your area can help.

Boolit Master
    My squirrel population fluctuates. When it’s low all is good, but when it gets too high they start climbing on the house and out comes the air rifle. It’s all very humane.

Whatever else you do, order a few spare pieces or siding and put them up in the garage rafters.

Boolit Grand Master
    My first suggestion is to spray ammonia along the trouble area. May work, may not, but it is fairly cheap.

My second is to dump your cats litter box in the problem area; it worked for me with groundhogs under a shed at Mom's house in town.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    do you have a feline friend? mine brings home squirrels, chipmunks, rabbits, rats and mice continually
    LIKE !

Good one , cat(s) do a fine job on all rodents ... and nice to have around !

As far as I can tell ... cats are still legal to own in most states ...
    I had one named Killer ... he hept the whole city block free of rats and snakes (he would kill big snakes !) The lady across the street cried when I told her he had passed (feline cancer) he kept her house , yard garage and drainage ditch free of vermin ... I miss Killer , he was a good boy !

Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 10-19-2021 at 08:33 AM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    my yard looked like the moon scape, with hundreds of holes. my bird feeders attracted them. I called an exterminator and he put down in the holes a ball of peanut butter lased with rat poison. ENDE!!, FINETO! they love the peanut butter! but not for long.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    If you start trapping squirrels you may find there are a lot more than you think in your area. Electric fence should work, but will cost a few bucks.

Boolit Master

Get a pair of Jack Russel Terriers and SQ's will be gone in a week or so.

By the way I always heard Vinyl was final?

Boolit Master
    My Australian Shepard is out in the back fenced area a good part of the day most days. She can run like lightning and WILL CATCH and play with a squirrel till it stops playing, grabbing it in her mouth and shaking it till the neck snap and it stops playing.

All good suggestion here and than you very much all.
    YES there are many many squirrels here but getting them one at a time.
    There is a tall fence and tree which provides quick escape from dog.
    I’m working on repellents and shall see what works best here.

Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast