Load DataReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee Precision
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: S&W Model 10 6" barrel

Boolit Master

S&W Model 10 6" barrel

How common are 6" barrel S&W models 10 revolvers? I saw one for sale recently and can't recall seeing very many otherwise. It's a 10-7 with the smoothest double-action trigger pull I've ever felt. It also had a wide hammer spur; the seller said it was "the target model". I'm not any kind of S&W revolver expert, but have never considered the Model 10 (with it's fixed sights) a target model.

It's in excellent condition and I'm mildly interested. The asking price is $480, seems a lot for a model 10, but I still like it. Anything sound out of place about this?

Back prior to the 1970's a lot of police forces carried 6" revolvers as service weapons. Whether they were M-10's or not I do not know.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Prices on model 10's ain't what they used yo be. Even police trade in guns with worn finish are bringing respectable prices. If you like it and can afford it get it.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Six-inch Model 10s have always been popular with smaller rural departments which don't issue their deputies patrol rifles. The longer barrel and sight radius makes hits in open country easier, and there is improvement in ballistics also. I prefer a 6-inch .38 Special fixed sight revolver with full-charge wadcutters over a .22 pistol in my get home bag and survival ruck, to supplement a snubby carried as EDC. Two revolvers are better than one and if not stashing a rifle in the vehicle a long barrel revolver reaches out to useful range and is accurate.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullChargeWCS&W6inchHandEjector.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	50.1 KB 
ID:	290417
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    Most likely the target hammer was installed when the action job was done. I’m not certain the Model 10s were offered with a target hammer or trigger as originally equipped.

I see a lot more 4” Mod 10s than 6”, and the 2” are also less common than the 4”. You seldom see the 3” and 5” models.

I don’t think $450 is out of line for a nice Model 10. Look at what currently made junk now costs new.

I’ve seen a few, but they aren’t common. Seems a little pricy to me, but what’s not, these days? I will say that if you buy it you will like it.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by fatelk View Post
    How common are 6" barrel S&W models 10 revolvers? I saw one for sale recently and can't recall seeing very many otherwise. It's a 10-7 with the smoothest double-action trigger pull I've ever felt. It also had a wide hammer spur; the seller said it was "the target model". I'm not any kind of S&W revolver expert, but have never considered the Model 10 (with it's fixed sights) a target model.

It's in excellent condition and I'm mildly interested. The asking price is $480, seems a lot for a model 10, but I still like it. Anything sound out of place about this?
    Sounds to me like an ex-cop gun which was fitted with a target hammer. If an "action job" was done by anyone other than a factory-trained gunsmith or department armorer, you could be buying into a Bubbafied nightmare. The fixed sight guns can be quite accurate when correctly set up for one load once you determine what shoots to the sights.

If the gun hasn't been shot loose from too many heavy handloads, correct timing and lockup, no perceptible end-shake by feel and cylinder gap not over 0.007 pass/0.008 hold, such that it requires no gunsmithing, so it can be carried and used as-is, then the asking price reflects current market and is not excessive.

However, if armorer inspection, as would normally be performed during annual requal, identifies any mechanical problems, use the findings to seriously haggle down the price. A duty refurbish to stretch the crane arbor to remove end shake, align the crane and straighten or replace a bent ejector rod and center pin and probably also adjusting timing through hand replacement to correct a DCU condition these days is going to be a $200 gunsmith job plus parts, so don't pay more than $300 tops for the gun.

If the barrel also must be set back to correct an open front gage condition and the forcing cone recut, then you can double that $200 gunsmithing figure so don't pay more than $250 for the gun.

At that point you must really decide if you want the gun badly enough to pay more in gunsmithing needed to put it right than you paid for the gun to start with... If you have a junk box full of parts and can do most of the work yourself, then it could be a fun project. While the barrel can be set back and the gap tightened without a lathe, the tools and skill required to do so are outside the wheelhouse of most hobby gun cranks and are best referred to a professional.
    Last edited by Outpost75; 10-18-2021 at 10:53 AM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

I don’t really need it; I have several 4” model 10s already. I’m a fairly decent amateur “gunsmith” when it comes to basics that don’t require a lathe or much for special tools.

I might go back and take a closer look at it. Lockup seemed solid, no end shake to speak of, and cylinder gap looked ok, though I didn’t have a gauge with me.

The trigger made me wonder, as I knew I didn’t want something that an amateur had worked over. It was an incredibly smooth pull-through in double action, and very crisp in single (but not too light). It felt good to me, but I’m not an expert. If there’s any question about it mechanically, I’m not interested.

There were a couple other really nice S&W revolvers there. He said they came from the same estate and the previous owner was a big S&W guy.

Boolit Master

WOW, I wish I was close to where this gun is , if it would pass my inspection It would be mine for that price.

Boolit Master
    Would you be even happier with a Model 15 because the sights are then adjustable however I have no idea what one of them is worth.

I paid $625. on GB for my 15-5 A few months ago. I am very happy with it!

Based on your description, if I wanted a 6", I'd buy it.

DG

Boolit Grand Master

For everyone out there who likes a fixed sighted 38 Special ... and likes wadcutter bullets ,
    the 160 grain Lyman #358432 ( being made by NOE now) when loaded to standard 38 Special loads , shoots to the fixed sights of most revolvers that were regulated for 158 grain RN boolits .
    I have three fixed sighted 38's , a S&W model 10 , a S&W model 64 and a S&W model 637 ...
    All three will group this bullet to the fixed sights with just about every powder I've tried .
    Unique , AA#5 , Bullseye , 700X ,Red Dot , HP38, Tite Group will all work with a velocity around 900 fps ... very unusual in a bullet . My EDC and night stand defense stay loaded with these .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Does it have the original stocks? How is the finish? 6" model 10's are not as common as the more commonly seen 4" guns and 5" are in the same boat as a 6. I'd make a cash offer IF it is in good condition because all things being equal, it is as good a revolver as you will find. I used to look down my nose at fixed sight revolvers until I bought a 44 Hand
    Ejector made in 1929 and it is one of the best shooters I own, along with a Model 33-1 in 38 S&W which is a fixed sight gun too.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master

The Pachmayr grips on it are a turn-off for me, but he said he had some original grips for it too. I'd have to see them.

I don't mind fixed sight guns, unless they're way off any loads, but I haven't seen this in my S&Ws. Unfortunately I passed up a really nice model 15-3 a couple months ago. I saw it in a gun shop, and immediately thought of a friend who wanted a nice older S&W .38 Special, so I texted him. I immediately regretted it as I realized that I should have just bought it for myself. Too late, he was hooked and on his way to buy it. Oh yeah, $500, nearly pristine, with the original box.

Boolit Grand Master
    $480 for a Model 10 of just about any description was unheard of five or ten years ago. Now? Especially for one of the less common barrel lengths? I'd say it is a decent price.

Seeing the labor prices Outpost put on revolver action repairs, I sure am glad I got Uncle Sam to pay for an Armorer's course.

Robert

Boolit Man
    I was looking at S&W model 10's with a 6" barrel yesterday. Used to turn my nose up at model 10's until I bought one.
    I found a 10-8 with a 4" heavy barrel with a roundbut grip like new for $350.00. I can't think of a better all around revolver for my use. Used to pack a 357 loaded down working around my place, now a 38 special with cast hp loads. Now I am looking for more, I have managed a shooter grade 15. But I would grab a 5" or 6" model in a heart beat.
    Best Glen

Don't buy one too nice. I found this pencil barrel 10 at a friends table along with the 33-1 38 S&W. Both were unturned and he made me a put up or shut up price and I bought both. I couldn't stand it and had to shoot the little gun but the mod 10 is still unturned. I am on the prowl for another model 10 shooter and I'm lookong for a 6 incher.
    wgg, I agree with the 38 spl advice. A good 38 spl with 150-170 gr cast boolits will solve 99% of a persons problems (on 2 or 4 legged varmints) without the ear splitting blast of a 357 mag.
    fatelk, the Magna stocks for the correct period (10-7) are very plentyful. You wont have to finance them like a set of targets.
    Last edited by murf205; 10-19-2021 at 03:24 PM.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master

Been shooting a 10-5 for 40+yrs. Bought it from a retired LAPD Sgt. He told Me to shoot #358477 over 3.5grs of Bullseye to a 25yr zero. That 6" bbl is as straight a Shooter as ya could wish for, a Smooth action and a Tyler T-Grip make it a real Pleasure to shoot.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Grand Master
    Both the RCMP and the San Diego P.D. used to issue 6 inch M-10's in the 70's and early 80's. I'd prefer a 5 inch, but a good 6 inch could find its way home with me.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast