Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Load DataLee PrecisionInline FabricationWideners
Repackbox
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: S&W Model 10 6" barrel

Quote Originally Posted by fatelk View Post
    Well, that was interesting. I just spent the whole afternoon watching Aquabats on youtube with my 9yo daughter, while carefully and patiently scraping Duracoat from every square millimeter of this old gun. I was hoping that the bluing underneath could be saved, so I didn't want to use harsh chemicals if I didn't have to.

What I used instead was several pieces of scrap brass in various shapes, just junk cases from my scrap bucket. I sharpened it with a file and scraped, and scraped. It came off fairly easy, but took a long time to scrape from every nook and cranny. I then polished it with oil and 000 steel wool.

What I found underneath was quite a surprise. This was a beautiful 28-2 from the early 1970s, in maybe 95% condition? Why in the world would someone coat it? Crazy. I'm amazed (and pleased) that the original bluing survived and looks so nice. I'm pretty happy with my $450 gun.

Attachment 293049
    With target stocks, no less. You scored big.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    I also like the 5" M & Ps, this one from the early 1930s. I bought this one in 92 for $225.00 which was high for that time, but it was in high condition, so I paid the tariff. Yes, I have the original grips.
    I’m on the lookout for one with diamond walnut magnas and speed hammer.

They’re beautiful and fun plinkers.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234