MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2WidenersLoad Data
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackbox
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Something other then gas checks?

Boolit Buddy

Something other then gas checks?

$59 for 1,000 gas checks!!! That's crazy there had to be something better or cheaper! I'm looking to make cards for 38/357 and 45 LC are there any punches out there that will also the trick for there size?

I have been rolling my own 12ga mini shells and found a punch to make overshot cards out of cardboard even if it's a little big it would still be useful. Thanks for the help and advice!

Boolit Master
    last time I checked, sage's prices were much lower than that.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    last time I checked, sage's prices were much lower than that.
    To bad most are out of stock. I'll check them again just need 452 and 357 gas checks.

Boolit Mold Ididntknowwhattopick's Avatar
    Just got to check back frequently. Right now sages has the .45 / .454 copper gc in stock. Noe has 2x 35Cal GC bags in stock RN as well

Boolit Grand Master
    You can get your blacksmith friend to make you a couple of arch punches.

Or failing in that do as most of us do and get a set of hollow punches from Harbor Freight for about nine bucks. The 3/8" will work for the .38, and the 7/16" might work for the .45 LC. If it needs to be bigger, it doesn't hurt nearly s much taking a dremel to a HF punch as it does to something good.

Think decimal, 3/8" = .375", 7/16" = .437". Supposedly.

Robert

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    You can get your blacksmith friend to make you a couple of arch punches.

Or failing in that do as most of us do and get a set of hollow punches from Harbor Freight for about nine bucks. The 3/8" will work for the .38, and the 7/16" might work for the .45 LC. If it needs to be bigger, it doesn't hurt nearly s much taking a dremel to a HF punch as it does to something good.

Think decimal, 3/8" = .375", 7/16" = .437". Supposedly.

Robert
    Thanks might do the punches might also see Amazon has any punches around that size the 3/8 should not be that hard to find 7/16 or 29/60 that's going to be the hard one.

powder coat. I have shot several different calibers up to 2200 ft/s and no leading. 357/38, no issue at all.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Handloader109 View Post
    powder coat. I have shot several different calibers up to 2200 ft/s and no leading. 357/38, no issue at all.
    Can't make a under and overshot cards from powder coating. If you can like to know how.

Boolit Master
    Gas checks at $59 per 1,000 equals about 6 cents each. Check the prices for gas, food and any other things and see the prices we used to know are history.

Only a top gas check would be needed to close any handgun shot load. Card wads would work as over powder wads.

Most handgun rounds at my LGS are $.50 up to $1.00 per round. A nickel hardly seems to be a problem IMHO for reliable shot loads.

Adam

Boolit Master
    Use a deprimed brass case either 38 spl or 9MM for 38/357 and 45 LC or 45 ACP for the Colt to cut over-powder and over-shot cards from dixie paper plates manilla folders, what-have-you. For over shot cards some folks punch them from coffee can lids or milk jugs. Do your cutting on the end grain of a 12" block of 4x4. Use a pies of wire to poke you cards out of the case. Top the over-shot card with a big drop of Elmer's glue and spread with a toothpick to get a good seal. Card stock is not as durable as a gas check but works perfectly and is free.
    COME AND TAKE IT
    Let’s Go Brandon!!!!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Helmer View Post
    Gas checks at $59 per 1,000 equals about 6 cents each. Check the prices for gas, food and any other things and see the prices we used to know are history.

Only a top gas check would be needed to close any handgun shot load. Card wads would work as over powder wads.

Most handgun rounds at my LGS are $.50 up to $1.00 per round. A nickel hardly seems to be a problem IMHO for reliable shot loads.

Adam
    Most aluminum is free most cardboard is also free! So free+free and know how equals free.

Not saying your not right that things are more expensive! Yet why pay $59 for something you can make with tool less then that? Also I can make well over 1,000 aluminum type gas checks with the tool!

For the 357 I found a punch that cost $6.99 used a bigger one on aluminum cans to make overshot cards for 12 ga and works great. Have well over 250 mini 12ga 1 3/4 round with cardboard and aluminum overshot cards and never had a problem so why would it be a problem with 357/45lc?

No flame maybe I'm missing something? Also read how people have been doing this with vegetables fiber for a long time with no problem.

I'd like to know why I should pay $59 for 1,000 copper gas checks that are better then the $6.99 punch and free aluminum and a little work is better?

Out of respect I'm just asking!

This is what steel rifle and pistol cases are good for. Sharpen the mouth of the case with a chamfer tool. A cut off 8x57mm case works perfectly for card wad making for my .41 magnum shot loads. .223, 9mm, .45 auto, 7.62x39, 7.62x54R, and others are commonly found with steel cases.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Since I took up paper patching I have not had to buy a gas check. That's been about 10 years now and I haven't missed them yet.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I know someone is going to get their feelings hurt but not long ago I ran a copper tainted WW +tin plain base 255 gr RNFP 2000 fps out of a 45-70 and 350s almost 1950 in more or less a 460 S&W just greased in some Darrs lube with no ill effects . 30-30 and 32 Rem have been and still are running 2100 fps and I would imagine the 358 Win will run a 358-158 1800+ MV . So maybe I don't understand why in a 9mm/38/357 or 45 ACP/Colts/454 you need a check ......I do have an RN .451 bullet with a check but up to about 30kpsi it's not really needed .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

The OP is talking about gas checks for shot loads; not bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    The OP is talking about gas checks for shot loads; not bullets.

By golly you're right. Oops, guess I'd better look at which room we're in.

Years ago I took advantage of a bargan bin at a local gun shop and picked up 2,000 .44 1/8'' Alcan card wads for $2.00. I'm not sure of their intended purpose, but they work wonderfully in .44 Magnum cases for shot shells. If intended for .410 shot shells, (which I believe they are) they and fiber wads should still be available in a different brand of course. Use one over powder and one over shot, crimp like a normal bullet. I paint my over shot wad with bright orange finger nail polish.

Don't they sell .45 card and fiber wads for muzzle-loaders? All else fails, buy a punch and make your own. A slightly small punch should be able to be ground and sharpened to proper size if the right size can't be matched exactly.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by tayous1 View Post
    $59 for 1,000 gas checks!!! That's crazy there had to be something better or cheaper! I'm looking to make cards for 38/357 and 45 LC are there any punches out there that will also the trick for there size?
    I recently bought this set for 38 spcl. cases that I use for shotshells:

Hollow Punch Set, 9 Pc. $8.99
    Punch sizes: 3/32 in., 1/8 in., 5/32 in., 3/16 in., 1/4 in., 5/16 in., 3/8 in., 7/16 in., 1/2 in.
    https://www.harborfreight.com/9-piec...-set-3838.html

I use thin cardboard for punching them out. (like ammo boxes are made from)
    For 38 spcl. cases I used the 3/8" punch and they fit great.
    I use the head of a 16D nail to push them in and tamp them in.

Hope that helped.
    1A - 2A = -1A

Boolit Master
    should say over powder or overshot wads and then the gauge.12 gauge, 16 ga.etc.
    auto parts store sells both cheap gasket punch or arch punch.
    Also big black powder catalogue sells punches.
    Name escapes me?

What I use not use of GC is cards I cut out with gasket punches from Snap on , What they sell it cover all the ones I shotshell and also for over shot cards for all my shotguns. I load 10, 12, 20, 410 . There is a hole punch that cover them in what they sell beside for 32 cals, 38 , 44 cal, and you need to check the rest and what I do is put 2 cards over the powder press in by hand one at a time then put shot the then 1 card over the shot and glue in place , but I see some posted that they crimp them I need to try that out the next time I make some. I use cracker box to cut my cards .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast