Inline FabricationRepackboxLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad Data
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2

Thread: Desert Precision Gunworks Eagle Target Camera

Banned

Desert Precision Gunworks Eagle Target Camera

Who the heck needs a target camera system? I do, for sure - and so do many other shooters for target work or just setting up a firearm. More and more gun ranges are adding target cameras, too, particularly for longer distance shooting lines.

What's the big deal, why do I need one? For starters, two reasons - at longer distances it gets harder to see bullet holes in paper, and at really long ranges even very expensive spotting scopes can't see hi-power rifle bullet holes particularly if there are dozens of holes already on the face, and then there's the matter of mirage and/or inclement weather.

The 6-24x50 scope on my 6mm target rifle has no problem with bullet holes on clean paper at 200 yards but fails beyond that distance. On the other hand, my Sharps .45-70 has iron sights. Yep, need a spotting scope even at 100 yards, and for distances past 300 yards I'd need to spend a good four figures on a spotting scope that would poop out if there was mirage or other weather issues. Not so with a target cam - you get to see the target face as if you were right there downrange. With the touch of your smartphone or tablet or computer screen, you'll see just where that last bullet landed no matter how many holes are in the target face, or see that last bullet splatter on a steel plate - can't do that with a spotting scope.

Over the last few years I've used a number of different target camera systems - Caldwell, Bullseye, and Target Vision - all worked well for my intended purposes.

The basic Caldwell system is bare bones and can do about 300 yards, but their long range system is purported to do one mile. I used their long range camera out to 500 yards with good success. Even so, this cheap system is $300 and its software is basic and lacking.

The Bullseye and Target Vision long range systems are excellent, with decent to very good software applications, and their price tags are in the $600 ad way up range. Bullseye has a "sight in" camera system that will do 300 yards - I tested it out and it works well, with a street price of about $200. Both of these target systems offer excellent images.

Enter the Desert Precsision Gunworks Target Camera. Kenny has created a truly Great camera system that is quite affordable! I like it so much that I've ordered another. It will render images at 1080P and at distances of over two miles. I've tested it out to 700 yards and it works flawlessly. It's a tremendous value for $200. It will blink the last shot fired and save images as well. The transmitter unit can be put on any camera tripod (not included) and it's powered by an 18650 battery, as is its companion base receiving station. While the base station can run on its battery for a good continuous 8 hours, the camera battery is the one doing all the work transmitting images to the base station, and its battery will quickly use up juice as target distances increase. So, for the camera I use a cheap portable power pack and get a good 8 hours of continuous use. Like all other target cameras, it works off its own wi-fi internet and only requires line-of-sight access. The Eagle Target Cam software application for Android, IPhone, or PC, is a download.

Desert Precision Gunworks Eagle Target Cam

View of the 200 yard line from the target pit ...

Setup in the pit ...

Shooting a Sharps .45-70 black powder paper patched bullet cartridge rifle with iron sights off cross sticks @ 200 yard shooting line ...

Image taken by the Eagle Target Cam @ 200 yards - even holes in a dark matte black target face show up.
    This is exactly what you'd see on your computing device; and better yet, the last shot taken will be blinking ...

Boolit Master
    I know it works as I"ve seen you use it @700 yds and it saves lots of gas on 4 wheelers checking targets/Ed

Boolit Buddy
    I have used my caldwell target camera at 1000 yards no problem.