Load DataTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What can I lube my boolits with to Lee push through size?

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    The NOE sizing system is great. I always advise people to get a couple of different size sizing bushings. They come in handy.

For my 9mm and 10mm Lee sizers I pc first then size when somewhere between warm and normal air temp.

A shot of Hornad One Shot before I start and then every 30 or so depending on how they feel.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stopsign32v View Post
    So I used the nail and 400 grit rolling it inside the die to expand it. It didn't work for me... It is still at .358
    So buy this 3/8 barrel lap, chuck it in drill/drill press, file it down to a little less than 0.360, and used it to lap the Lee 0.358" sizing die to 0.360....done.
    https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/05060249
    buy some extra drums too:
    https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/05061247
    Way cheaper than the NOE stuff.
    -OR-
    This Lee stuff:
    https://leeprecision.com/bl-bullet-sizer-kit.html
    and any of these bushings:
    https://leeprecision.com/breech-lock-bullet-sizing-kit/
    jmo,
    Last edited by Kenstone; 10-20-2021 at 12:11 PM.
    Size/Prime a few cases when starting off with a progressive and put them aside. You can plug them back into the process when a bad/odd case screws up in the priming station and continue loading.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
    What did you use for abrasive paper in 400 grit? Are you trying to open up your sizing die .002 with conventional sandpaper or are you using emery cloth? cut a slot in a short length of 5/16" dowel to hold a strip of emery cloth, put the dowel in a variable speed drill, wrap the strip of emery paper around the dowel until the outside diameter is close to being snug in the .356 ID of the die. Lube the emery cloth with some oil - 3 in 1 will work and then turn the drill on at a low rpm and slowly work the dowel up and down in the die. Stop and check it often so that you don't open up the die too much. It shouldn't;t take much work to open it up .002" from .358 to .360 because you are actually polishing down the inside walls of the die that does the actual sizing by .001"
    the snug part is the key. I always use wet-r-dry paper, 600 grit or finer and lube with Kroil. I do go to really SNUG for may first pass then start backing off as I get closer to my target. Be warned lubed paper with a snug fit and lots of Kroil WILL remove material way, way faster than you'd think. (I have gone too far more than once.)

Note, not mentioned is to cut a 2" long slot in the Oak wood dowel. My paper is cut into about 1" wide strips. With the slot you have a place to anchor your paper and when you wrap your paper tight around the dowel it compresses the slot and it will continue to apply outward pressure and help maintain the conical profile. I find Oak is stronger and has better spring back and doesn't mind being saturated in Kroil.
    Last edited by oley55; 10-20-2021 at 07:14 PM.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

I DO NOT want to lube these yet! My boolits are dropping at a whopping .362 and I want them at .360.

I have a Lee .358 push through sizer and I was thinking of sizing them all at .358 and then powder coat them in hopes of it coming out at .360
    What are you going to shoot these in?
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    What are you going to shoot these in?
    I had to think for a second! LOL

It will be my pre safety Marlin 1894

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Titan , a forum sponsor , has a link tab up ^^^ there $25 push through sizers $41 6 cav moulds , about a mile from the Lee plant , flat rate box shipping ........ Not that I'm making a suggestion as to where to buy stuff but they also have a tiered discount club linked to your email address ......

I'm about to lap one of my own dies and make an order for a .460 H&I after I confirm a happy dia for a GC 45-500 . The rifle will take a .465 so even if it putz it up a little my fattest mould is only .461 and I only need be able to seat the checks .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

I tried but got no where. I'm going to leave that alone, after all I still need a .358 sizing die and that's my only one. So I figured this is a perfect time to give NOE some love...

This may be the best money you spend in a long while. I have a lot more that $85.30 invested in several push through sizers that are not adaptable to different sizes.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Buddy
    I second Harter66's recommendation for Titan. Great folks, and didn't price gouge over the past year or so. NOE is a solid choice as well. Support the folks that support us.

Quote Originally Posted by Harter66 View Post
    Titan , a forum sponsor , has a link tab up ^^^ there $25 push through sizers $41 6 cav moulds , about a mile from the Lee plant , flat rate box shipping ........ Not that I'm making a suggestion as to where to buy stuff but they also have a tiered discount club linked to your email address ......

I'm about to lap one of my own dies and make an order for a .460 H&I after I confirm a happy dia for a GC 45-500 . The rifle will take a .465 so even if it putz it up a little my fattest mould is only .461 and I only need be able to seat the checks .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12