Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRepackboxWideners
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What can I lube my boolits with to Lee push through size?

What can I lube my boolits with to Lee push through size?

I DO NOT want to lube these yet! My boolits are dropping at a whopping .362 and I want them at .360.

I have a Lee .358 push through sizer and I was thinking of sizing them all at .358 and then powder coat them in hopes of it coming out at .360

Boolit Buddy
    Any natural oil/grease that wont spoil powder if it goes into your case. Liquid alox is made for it. I powdercoat boolits and push thru size without lube. Before that I used beeswax and paraffin cookie cutter type lube

Powdercoating after sizing doesnt add any noticeable thickness I'm afraid.

I would order a .360 sizing die personally

My 311 bullets get coated then sized to 308

My 360 wadcutter bullets get powdercoated and sized down to .357. When i dont pc first and use lube it displaces and shaves a ring off in the sizer. And distorts the base

Sent from my SM-J337VPP using Tapatalk
    Last edited by johnsonian09; 10-17-2021 at 02:24 PM.

Yea if this doesn't work I'm going to use the nail and sandpaper trick to open the .358 to .360

Boolit Master
    Further, once they're coated you don't need lube to size them. Spring for the .360 sizer.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ryanmattes View Post
    Spring for the .360 sizer.

I'd have to make it, that's the thing

Yeah, pc will MAYBE add half a thousandth. Probably closer to .0002.

Get the 360 sizer. Lee has one available for the breech lock sizing kit, which looks like replaces the style you probably already have.

If you've got a Lyman style sizer, the h/I sizers are available in 360 all over.

I always give my bullets a quick rinse with something like acetone or carb cleaner before powder coating anyway, so I don't care if they go through a lubrisizer. It's just good insurance to make sure they're as clean as they can be for a good coat. I usually size after pc anyway. When I feel like I need to lube bullets for sizing, I use imperial case lube, the stuff is amazing. You'll need to wash off any lube you use anyway

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

you might try a light coat of dish soap, Its been used for swaging at times and easily rinses off.

Boolit Mold
    I have used OneShot spray on cast before sizing, but I just saw this Elvis Ammo video on how to do lube PC boolits before sizing with Lee case sizing lube and it looks interesting. He shows how sizing them unlubed in the push through sizer can raise a ridge on the base. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6esbY7z5-Mc

Boolit Master
    Just go ahead and expand the Lee sizer to you desired diameter and then PC and size with no additional steps.
    COME AND TAKE IT
    Let’s Go Brandon!!!!

So I used the nail and 400 grit rolling it inside the die to expand it. It didn't work for me... It is still at .358

Boolit Master

Put the Boolits in a plastic tub and shoot them with Hornady One Shot liberally. Shake the tub to coat them, the carrier will evaporate in a minute or two leaving the lube on the Boolits. Size as needed and then rinse them with acetone OUTDOORS to remove the lube.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

RCBS 2 washes off with water.

Boolit Buddy
    +1 for Dawn dish soap; rinses off with water and takes with it and skin oils from handling. Just need to rinse and oil your die afterwards.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stopsign32v View Post
    So I used the nail and 400 grit rolling it inside the die to expand it. It didn't work for me... It is still at .358
    To expand a sizer, I use a dowel with a diameter slightly smaller than the die and 1000 grit sandpaper with a drop of oil. When I get close to the right size I switch to 2000 grit. You'll undersize a bunch of bullets getting it right, but you can use throwbacks.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanmattes View Post
    To expand a sizer, I use a dowel with a diameter slightly smaller than the die and 1000 grit sandpaper with a drop of oil. When I get close to the right size I switch to 2000 grit. You'll undersize a bunch of bullets getting it right, but you can use throwbacks.

I tried but got no where. I'm going to leave that alone, after all I still need a .358 sizing die and that's my only one. So I figured this is a perfect time to give NOE some love...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stopsign32v View Post
    I tried but got no where. I'm going to leave that alone, after all I still need a .358 sizing die and that's my only one. So I figured this is a perfect time to give NOE some love...
    Yeah, I've been eyeballing that setup for a while. I just have so many Lee sizers I've been reluctant to pull the trigger, because I'll want to replace them all.

Boolit Grand Master

Got any case lube? Since you're only sizing .002" you may not need anything. Lee recommends using their alox bullet lube prior to sizing, but I've never tried that (too messy). On some of my PCed bullets when only needing .002"-.003" I have sized after PCing...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

$31 gets you a Lee 360.
    https://leeprecision.com/bullet-szr-punch-.360.html

- Size bare bullet to 360 (no lube req'd or wanted
    - PC... (which will add two thou minimum)
    - Size again (no lube, or sizing wax this time if you want)

PC them, will add ~2 thou.
    Whatever!

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    What did you use for abrasive paper in 400 grit? Are you trying to open up your sizing die .002 with conventional sandpaper or are you using emery cloth? cut a slot in a short length of 5/16" dowel to hold a strip of emery cloth, put the dowel in a variable speed drill, wrap the strip of emery paper around the dowel until the outside diameter is close to being snug in the .356 ID of the die. Lube the emery cloth with some oil - 3 in 1 will work and then turn the drill on at a low rpm and slowly work the dowel up and down in the die. Stop and check it often so that you don't open up the die too much. It shouldn't;t take much work to open it up .002" from .358 to .360 because you are actually polishing down the inside walls of the die that does the actual sizing by .001"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast