Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad DataRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hunting with a Blunderbuss

Boolit Master

Hunting with a Blunderbuss

Today I took out my .75 caliber Blunderbuss to hunt Quail.
    Didn't do too well.
    The first shot only was a flash in the pan , and the barrel didn't go off.
    That was a shot at three running on the ground.
    The next shot when one took off and flew away from me on an angle.
    I missed because I didn't figure the lag from the pan going off and the barrel ignighting.
    It isn't that much of a lag , but it does make a little difference in how you leade a bird in flight.
    The third shot attempt was at a running Cottontail.
    The first cottontail I saw was out of reasonable range.
    Then another took off right beside me.
    But when I tried to shoot him , the Flint didn't spark at all.
    Overall , the day was Fun.
    It tells me I need to practice with a flintlock more and learn the ins and outs of making them reliable.
    But all morning I was thinking about how it was 200 years ago when they went hunting.
    I will be taking the Blunderbuss out hunting again , but only after I get out to the range.
    I need to work up some loads and pattern the gun .
    The Blunderbuss sas no sights at all.
    So I need to learn how to shoot it better.

Boolit Master
    I think I found the problems.
    First ,
    The Flint was worn really bad.
    Almost an 1/8" of the point was gone.
    The second issue was,
    The screw that holds the hammer to the lock was loose.
    So the Flint wasn't hitting the frizzen square.
    Both items are corrected and ready to go.

I have made several blunderbuss. They are not good for shooting shot in a hunting situation. Especially if you have slow ignition or the lock doesn't work.

Boolit Master
    I like a challenge.
    I bought it to shoot Portch Pirates

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    Today I took out my .75 caliber Blunderbuss to hunt Quail.
    But all morning I was thinking about how it was 200 years ago when they went hunting.
    Theirs lives depended on them. They would have learned to make them work properly. A good flinter setup is very reliable and it has a surprisingly quick lock time.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Of all the BP rifles I have had over the years , this is my Second Flintlock.
    The last one I had was 40 years ago.
    It was very reliable at the range , but I never took it hunting.
    So I have to get back in tune with operating a flintlock.
    Especially because my next kit I have to build is a
    .32 flintlock Pedersoli Cub.
    And that one will be used for hunting.

Boolit Master
    I like a challenge.
    I bought it to shoot Portch Pirates
    it will certainally do that!! when they see that big funnel pointing at them they will mess there undies!!

Boolit Master
    I also have one that I gave up on when shooting shot out oh it. I use it to make fire & Smoak on the 4th. and other holidays. with that big funnel out in front and no front sight at all, you are rely handicapped!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    A friend of mine spent a day trying to shoot gophers with his 4 bore blunderbuss using round balls. Didn't get any gophers, but he sure plowed the field with those big balls!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

One problem with hunting with a blunderbuss, is that it wasn't designed for hunting. It's a coach gun. Designed for close range defensive work. That's why there's no sights on it. Commonly loaded with heavy buck. The bell at the muzzle wasn't designed to spread shot, but to aid in fast reloads under stress such as running, galloping, or riding 'shotgun' on a coach. Also one of the earliest arms I've seen to be commonly equipped with a folding bayonet attached. Best I know, it's the worlds first true, specially designed assault gun. Cool stuff.
    Deplorable infidel

Boolit Master
    I think I will do better hunting Doves with this Blunderbuss later this year.
    The Doves fly by me and you can see them coming from a distance.
    I have to walk around looking for the Quail.
    Then they pop up suddenly and sometimes in groups.
    By the time I see them , they are going away and close to out if range for this gun.
    Hmmm,
    Maybe I should go to the range and try shooting Skeet with this.
    It doesn't have enough range to shoot Trap.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Less powder in the the pan will probably give you faster ignition, which equates to less lag time.

Boolit Master
    boy they sure have a lot of variables!! just shoot them and make noise & a lot of Smoak!! have fun!

Boolit Master
    I will experiment with how much powder I put in the pan.
    I am using using home made BP which weighs a little less so it fills the pan up more.
    But I will see if reducing the volume of my powder will go off better.

I think I will do better hunting Doves with this Blunderbuss later this year.
    The Doves fly by me and you can see them coming from a distance.
    I have to walk around looking for the Quail.
    Then they pop up suddenly and sometimes in groups.
    By the time I see them , they are going away and close to out if range for this gun.
    Hmmm,
    Maybe I should go to the range and try shooting Skeet with this.
    It doesn't have enough range to shoot Trap.
    These don't shoot a tight enough pattern to hit a dove. I have shot skeet with one and the only bird I could hit was station #1 low house...in other words it was probably 10 foot off the end of the barrel. This one had an excellent chambers english lock on it. Lightning fast lock time and 100% reliable. Do some pattern work with it, you'll soon see it won't work.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    It's a sign that you should not be shooting game birds on the ground except in a survival situation .
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Southgate View Post
    It's a sign that you should not be shooting game birds on the ground except in a survival situation .
    Keep your ethical opinions to yourself.

As for the Blunderbuss, I can't think of a worse gun for hunting. The stocks are anything but made for accurate shooting. The muzzle is flared, so the bird is completely covered by the barrel when you shoot. You don't really need sights on a shotgun, but this is just not an accurate setup at all. I don't have any experience with the patterns of any kind of flared muzzle. I wouldn't think it would effect patterns, but I don't know that either. From what I've seen, they should pattern about like a cylinder bore.

200 years ago, nobody would be hunting with a Blunderbuss. It can be done, but it is a real challenge, and you will have to figure out how to shoot in a non-traditional manner.

Boolit Master
    As far as a Blunderbuss goes.
    Not All Blunderbuss we're the 12" long naval Boarding weapons that most people think of first.
    Mine is a 20" barrel and more of a Musketoon.

Boolit Grand Master

I don't know a great deal about either, but to me a Musketoon looks like a Blunderbuss with a full sized stock. Or maybe better put, a Blunderbuss is a Musketoon with a cut down stock. Both appear to have been made in a variety of barrels lengths, but most consider 12 gauge to 4 bore, and 16" to 24" the standard. I always assumed the flared muzzle was a distinction of both, but apparently you can have a blunderbuss with a regular muzzle. Either way, to meet even the most lenient of criteria for either makes them rather poor hunting weapons. I suppose a Musketoon with a 24" non-flared barrel and jug choke would be a decent turkey gun though.

Boolit Master
    Hmmm.
    I wonder what the Pilgrims used to get the Turkey for the First Thanksgiving dinner ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast