RotoMetals2Load DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersInline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackbox
Titan Reloading

Thread: BP vs Smokeless noise levels.

BP vs Smokeless noise levels.

To my plugged ears, black powder, whether in a muzzle loader or cartridge, sounds "softer". I did a bit of searching on the internet, but didn't find much. Is there any sound pressure level testing out there for black powder guns? I'm eventually going to do some hunting with 50-70 (duplicating the original Army loading, most likely), and my electronic hearing protection really doesn't work that well, but I always combine that with a suppressor.

Boolit Grand Master

To my ears the BP loads from my BPCR rifles seem to be more of a dull thud or boom while the modern riles and smokeless is more of a sharp crack, same with the recoil. But then none of my modern rifles have 30-34" long barrels.

Boolit Buddy
    No doubt that black has a softer 'tone'....volume is one thing, but the intensity of a hot smokeless round is truly painful.......black, at least to me not so much, but at this point my audio sensitivity is damaged enough that I take no chances with either, wish to hell someone had warned me back in the 50's.

Banned

Yes, I agree - noise levels of fired off black in a long gun cartridge or muzzy appear to be somewhat deeper in tone and more muted than the sharp crack of most white cartridge rifles. Recoil is more of a push with black, and a slap with white.

Boolit Grand Master

Its noticeably different. At the local club when I touch off the first round ( especially from the 45-90) all heads turn to see what happened, Its that much different tone. More like thunder.

But while more comfortable on the ears the actual sound level is still well above what will cause damage so you still want hearing protection

Banned

Yessir, nothing like lighting off 80+ grains of Swiss 1-1/2f to send 528 grains of lead alloy down and out the tube. Music to my plug protected ears.

Boolit Master
    Yes they do sound different even in the same rifle. To me black powder sounds like the bass is cranked up on the stereo and its report lasts longer than smokeless which to me sounds like a fast sharp crack. I think we can all agree when you shake out a bp round you got everybodys attention.

That seems to reflect my limited experience as well. I have loaded 45 Auto up with 3fg and cast boolits for a friend's transferable SMG. If properly lubricated, it actually does run reliably, but those rounds really change the way that gun feels. Unfortunately I've only ever fired it indoors, where everything seems outrageously loud. Maybe I'll need to buy a sound level meter ($$ouch$$), and post the data to this forum. Hopefully someone will chime in who has already done so, or can point me in the right direction.

Sly, of Sly and the Family Stones wrapped it up when he said, “ BOOM shaka laka.” The smokeless folks are in awe when comparing their cracks against gun powder

Boolit Master
    Black powder gives more of a BOOM instead of a bang. If you are standing within 10 yards of someone shooting black powder loads, you can not only hear it, but you can feel it.

Boolit Buddy
    Smokeless has a sharper crack and a sharper recoil than black powder, as my trapdoor level 45-70 loads attest too.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    This would be a good subject for a youtuber to test. It would be important to compare same muzzle velocities/energies. To me BP has a different, but still loud sound. The recoil is different too.

If I'm not watching the line, I know when someone touches off a BP cartridge gun vs. the same gun with smokeless. Neither at equal velocities is like high power rifles, but there's definitely a different deeper boom to the BP loads.

Boolit Bub
    I have a decibel meter. I just may have to take it to the range next time and find out what the db levels are between the two.
    Support Our Troops
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by MC One Shot View Post
    I have a decibel meter. I just may have to take it to the range next time and find out what the db levels are between the two.
    I, for one, would find that very interesting.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Keep us posted with your results.

Please do. It will be some time before I can afford one.
    Last edited by HumptyDumpty; 10-28-2021 at 02:00 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

decibels are a good measure but the tone range also makes a difference.

Agree with the above posters. Black powder, whether in a ML or BPCR, is much more of a deep bassy "boom" compared to the sharp "crack" of smokeless. If you've ever had you hearing protection off for a second or two when the guy on the next bench lets fly with a smokeless round, it's actually a painful experience (well, for me, anyway).
    "Are you gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"