RepackboxRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad Data
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: WTB 25/20 brass/bullets

WTB 25/20 brass/bullets

Need to find some 25/20 brass and boolits/jacketed. Bought an old rifle , have dies.

Thanks,
    rmcc
    fools rush in where angels fear to tread...Alexander Pope

Boolit Bub
    Howdy Pard

Might be able to assist.

Background: Bot a Winchester Model 1892 in 1958. Still have it. Great rifle and great cartridge. Love ‘em. Used it this month for a Cowboy Action Shooting match and a lever action silhouette match. It shoots a lot better than I do. Brass has been an issue for yrs until recently. Most of my brass is old and has been reloaded many, many times. The two matches this month resulted in retirement of 10 cases from either case-mouth splits or shoulder splits. It’s good altho fragile brass. There’s no cure for aged, worn-out brass

Now the less depressing news. A friend was at a gunsmith’s close-out sale and picked up a couple hundred cases. They’ve been very welcome. Will be retiring old brass.

I’m willing to part with 50 of ‘em for $25 plus $10 shipping for total of $35.00. The shipping is for USPS small flat rate box … yes, USPS has raised its rates recently, almost dramatically.

Good news and bad news about the brass. Bad news: It is head stamped 32–20 and has been sized down to 25-20. Good news: it’s Starline brass which has a reputation for being sturdier than older W-W and R-P stuff. Can’t verify that it’s new and unfired but it surely looks it. Also looks like a professional job of resizing. The primer pockets and inside of the cases do not have the powder stain of fired cases. I haven’t reloaded any of ‘em yet myself but will be doing so soon to replace my worn-out, split cases.

I’ll throw in approx 20 lead bullets that came with the brass. They’re lubed and gas checked and look like the Lyman 257420.

Let me know if you’re interested and we can exchange mailing addresses. Your personal check will be fine; no need to go to hassle of a MO or cashiers check.

Apologies for the length of this post. Wanted to practice due diligence and give you full info.

Adios

Fort Reno Kid

Side note. Tried a bunch of loads — Unique, Bullseye, Titegroup, IMR4227, and IMR/H4198. The hands-down winner was 9 gr of either IMR or H 4198.Favorite bullet is Lyman 257420 cast of Linotype, gas checked, and tumble lubed with Lee liquid alox bullet lube.

Boolit Master

If RMCC is not interested in the resized 32-20 brass, I would be. Same situation as his with a newly purchased 1911 model 92 Win. chambered 25-20.
    73 de n0ubx, Rick
    NRA Benefactor Life Member/VFW Life Member

If absolutely necessary I can supply some .258 sized cast bullets. The little bullets in the picture. I make for my own 25-20 Marlin CL. They are deadly accurate in my rifle. These are the Lyman 65gr with GC. When I cast them from my scrap WW they come out at 73grs. I can also supply 50 new Starline 32-20 you can reform ( simple to do ) or I can size them for you. I do have a good supply of head stamped 25-20 Rem & Win brass but I am unwilling to let any of it go. No one it seems is producing new 25-20 stamped brass.Attachment 290416

Boolit Bub
    Howdy Pards

To rmcc: got your PM accepting the deal. Consider the brass SPF. Sent you a reply with my mailing address. Yr personal check will be fine.

To hamgunner: The brass is SPF. Am sure you noted the post from Dom offering bullets and 32-20 brass either as is or already sized to 25-20. If you wish to contact him my recommendation would be to request the brass sized to 25-20. Probably everyone is more graceful and coordinated than I but I’ve had disastrous results every time I tried to size 32-20 to 25-20. Am told it’s greatly facilitated by a set of forming dies … which I do not have. He’s on the money about scarcity of head stamped 25-20 brass. Don’t know why Starline doesn’t produce it. A number of outfits offer cast bullets, usually at reasonable prices, but if you prefer to “roll your own “ I’ve had excellent results with the Lyman 257420, a gas check design.

Just a side note. The 218 Bee cartridge is essentially a sized-down 25-20. I’ve read of shooters fire-forming 218 Bee to 25-20 but … good luck! … have read in forums of the difficulty finding 218 Bee brass. Nonetheless it is an alternative in the event some 218 should present itself.

Good shooting and Adios

Fort Reno Kid

I have 90+/- Rem 86gr JFP
    PM me if interested, I will count them and get you a $

Thanks,
    Sean