WidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox

Thread: Should I not use this powder anymore

Boolit Man

Should I not use this powder anymore

I like trail boss for my cowboy loads in .357, and .45 Colt, but I’m out of it now, and I use the RCBS Charge Master. Well after I was done with the trail Boss I cleaned the machine out, or at least I thought I got all the powder out. Then I filled the Charge Master with Clays, but when I started charging the cases in each charge I noticed a few pieces of Trail Boss mixed with the Clays! There’s only a few pieces of Trail Boss in each weighed charge but would it be best for safety if I not use that Clays powder?
    Paul
    People would rather beleave a lie than the truth
    David Crockett

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Gun dog, it’s your call but … Trail Boss is a low velocity powder, if there is just a few grains mixed in …. How much Clays is contaminated?
    If it was me, I would shoot a couple of the contaminated reloads and then make a decision. Bottom line, if you decide to throw out the Clays, your loss is minimal, about $30
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    I’d totally agree with John Boy on this. Just shoot them.

Boolit Master

Come on guys where is the fertilizer posts , when I charge cases on my measures , I rap the handle twice on the up and on the down every time as I used to see a mentor do with his lyman he had the flipper flipping down to a science as I have a rcbs I use the handle same way each time and when dumping and switching I rap it after opening up wide open .

The posts above are right use it as it sounds like a non issue .

Super Moderator

You may have a little static buildup in your powder measure. A quick wipe with a used dryer sheet will remedy this, if it is the problem. I agree with the others, if it's only a few flakes I would just use it up.

Maybe this will help you:

I have some Clays and have never contaminated it with Trail Boss, but I see what look like Trail Boss donut flakes within the Clays. I wondered if the factory had mixed a little Trail Boss into the mix.

Boolit Grand Master
    For cowboy loads using a ChargeMaster is a bit over the top. Make a little scoop and don't worry about being out by .2 gr...it will not matter. Or buy a powder measure...again absolute precision is not needed.

I agree with those who said a few kernels of a different powder is not going matter. BTW I used Clays for both .38 and 12 ga when I was into CAS. Great powder. I was flabbergasted when I took a class with Evil Roy. He shot some of my reloads and wanted the recipe he liked them so much. (2.7 gr with the Magma 130 gr bullet in .38 cases)
    Don Verna

If I heard correctly, the old (made in Australia) Clays had some donuts in it. The newer stuff (made in Canada) does not. You might want to check what is left in the Clays bottle all by itself and see if it contains donuts. If it does, problem solved. ..

For what it’s worth….
    Sam Sackett

Agree with Sam Sackett. Old Clays did use marker dots that were very similar to Trail Boss donuts.

good luck, garrisonjoe