MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackboxLoad Data
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: T/c 45

T/c 45

Bought a rifle, been doing a bunch with muzzleloaders lately. All I know is it says T/C and 45 caliber and where it's made. Hooked breech similar to Traditions rifles. I found a picture of a Hawken and it looks the same. I'll get some pics up when I get it back together. The barrel is not cleaning up good and I may need a new one, need to know the model first to look though.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 0verkill View Post
    Bought a rifle, been doing a bunch with muzzleloaders lately. All I know is it says T/C and 45 caliber and where it's made. Hooked breech similar to Traditions rifles. I found a picture of a Hawken and it looks the same. I'll get some pics up when I get it back together. The barrel is not cleaning up good and I may need a new one, need to know the model first to look though.
    Call Bob Hoyt as he does barrel lining quite reasonable

How are you cleaning it? How does it shoot?

In the process, I'm done for the night. Gotta get some roundballs before I find out how it shoots. Looks really rough right now, but I've had some rough looking bores shoot good after knocking enough rust out to not cut the patch.

It was possibly dryballed, there's something way down at the bottom, but not deep enough to be anything more than a ball wadded up patch.

I'm pretty sure it's a Hawken, found a few listed here and there one as a "Flinklock". That's not a typo on my part, I copied and pasted. Then again traditional muzzleloaders are often simply all referred to as hawkens or muskets, albeit incorrectly.

I got a 32 barrel I'm working on too. Gotta get all my ducks in a row before I call him. With T/Cs being more popular,I might be able to find a used barrel cheap, who knows. Here's a couple bad photos.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_2482.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	46.5 KB 
ID:	290358

Name:	100_2481.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	51.6 KB 
ID:	290359

Name:	100_2480.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	60.9 KB 
ID:	290360

Name:	100_2479.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	28.1 KB 
ID:	290361

Name:	100_2478.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	30.9 KB 
ID:	290362

Tried to get the lock, breech hook, trigger guard and butt to help identify it, the whole rifle came out real blurry.

Boolit Buddy
    Yeah that looks like a TC Hawken. They made a Renegade too that looks about the same but doesn't have the patchbox or a cheek piece.

Banned

That’s a T/C Hawken! Looks like it can be salvaged!

Boolit Master
    I have two TC Hawkens and five Renegades that I salvaged.
    They are well worth the time restoring them.
    A couple had to have the barrels Rebored or Relined and I have two more barrels waiting to be sent to Bobby Hoyt just to be Refreshed as he calls it.
    Last edited by LAGS; 10-17-2021 at 01:55 PM.

Correct me if I am wrong, but arn't the Seneca and the Renegade shorter then the Hawkin's rifle? That would make a big difference in barrel length. I have a TC Hawken and had the shorter one with the patch box.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Seneca and Cherokee have a 13/16" barrel. Hawken is 15/16" and Renegade is 1". Lengths varied depending on just what variation you got.

Boolit Grand Master
    Nobade has some valuable research info above. Use your caliper to find out which you have. I always hate to see old T/C's neglected, but they make such good project guns. Not that you asked for my advice, but I'd soak the heck out of that barrel and have at it! You are going to end up with a real treasure. Hoyt has done several barrels for me, a rebore to a new caliber, a reline, and - as he calls it - "a refresh". His work is impeccable. Worse thing I could possibly say is that when I get a barrel back, the rifling is sharp and it cuts my patches until I shoot it some or lap it some. His machining is that precise. Not a bad chore to have ! Good luck.

Boolit Bub
    725 is correct about Bob's work and about the sharp rifling. He has done approximately (12) of them for me over the years. Since the T/C .45 Hawken is a 15/16" across the flats barrel, Bob can bore it up to a .54 caliber. I normally have Bob do a 1-60" twist for round ball and they are extremely accurate and make for an excellent caliber for deer hunting. Bob's contact information:

Bob Hoyt
    2379 Mt. Hope Road
    Fairfield, PA 17320

# 717-642-6696

My .45 T/C Seneca (below, over my .36 Seneca) will be with me until I pass on.

Check your barrel thickness, as the downsized Seneca (13/16" bbl, thinner stock) is not rated for Hawken (15/16" bbl) powder charges.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

It is the Hawken, the barrel is 15/16". Something else I was going to measure while I was in there and forgot it. The last 2 inches looks like the rifling is gone.

Anybody got an estimate for relining cost?

Boolit Bub
    FYI on the T/C Hawken manual : https://www.tcarms.com/pdfs/uploads/...ken_Manual.pdf

The last two inches could be what T/C called their "QLA Muzzle System". From the T/C site:

T/C's QLA® Muzzle System (Quick, Load, Accurizor) is basically a built in "false muzzle". Many old time target shooters used to attach a false muzzle to their rifle barrel for loading purposes, to guarantee precise alignment of the projectile during the loading procedure. They would then remove the "false muzzle" prior to shooting. The "false muzzle" also protected the rifling from being damaged or worn during loading. T/C's QLA® Muzzle is built right into the end of the barrel in all of our rifles permanently. It guarantees consistent alignment of your projectile in that it’s surrounded by steel for 360 degrees prior to being driven down the bore and engraved with the rifling. The projectile can't tilt, and the shape can't be altered (lead is soft) as it is started down the bore. This consistent alignment from shot to shot greatly improves the accuracy potential of the rifle by eliminating one of the variables associated with good accuracy... projectile alignment. T/C's QLA® Muzzle System also makes loading your second shot in the field much easier. You merely drop the projectile in the barrel and go straight to your ramrod, using short strokes to push the projectile down the bore. It eliminates the hassle of trying to align the projectile with one hand, and drive it into the rifling with a short starter.

That's good to know. I knew pretty much nothing about T/C's yesterday, never had one pop up cheap enough, it/s all been CVA and Traditions. Learned quite a bit in a day between what I found on my own, learned from y'all and places you steered me towards. Thanks everybody. Found a mould here, now the waiting game.

It's a patched ball or jag with a patch stuck in the bottom. I can see that it's white and when I finally found my ball puller I didn't getthe ball but got a few threads caught on the end out.

Breech is seized. I guess I'll flush it with alcohol to dry up the kroil and try to work enough powder in the drum to fire it out.

Boolit Master
    Spray on carburator cleaner works well to get that oil out

There are a couple of videos on YouTube about removing a stuck ball using a grease gun. You may want to look them up.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Grand Master

An air compressor usually works too.
    Aim small, miss small!

I'd like to get the breech plug loose, but don't want to damage the barrel.

Don't have an air compressor and a tube and a half of grease costs more than a grain and a half of powder.

The annoying thing is I had a homemade bullet puller that worked great, just can't find it and too lazy to make a new one,but looks like I may have to make time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast