Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Load DataSnyders Jerky
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Wideners

Thread: Pedersoli Gibbs

Pedersoli Gibbs

I'm using DDEPP (double diameter elliptical paper patch) bullets designed by Arnie/Beltfeld for my Sharps (excellent results), but some months ago I acquired a Pedersoli Gibbs and decided to use the same DDEPP bullet sized down to be loaded correctly in the 36" barrel. After adjusting the paper thickness and the bp loads, I found that this extraordinary 525gn bullet shoots very well both with my Sharps and Gibbs. In the attached picture you can see my last target at 200 meters and 3" x 1.5" grouping with the Gibbs and another 4" x 0.5" group with the Sharps.
    Thank you very much dear Arnoldo for these results, 1 bullet for 2 different rifles!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2021-10-16 at 13.31.41.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	290331

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2021-08-31 at 12.00.48.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	83.2 KB 
ID:	290332

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2021-10-16 at 13.33.34.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	69.0 KB 
ID:	290333

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2021-09-21 at 19.14.02(1).jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	38.0 KB 
ID:	290334

Nice shooting! So you are sizing the bullet to eliminate the bigger rear section and make it the same all the way down? It seems to work well.

Yes, except the bigger rear section, I'm using the same 16:1 alloy too, it works!

Claudius, if you would, could you tell me what the width dimension is on the octagonal rear portion of the barrel?
    Thanks.

@Good Cheer, I'll check it tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    Claudius, if you would, could you tell me what the width dimension is on the octagonal rear portion of the barrel?
    Thanks.
    the octagonal rear portion width: 31.5mm

Boolit Master
    Very well done!!! I have wanted a Gibbs for a long time. Someday I might have to pull the plug and get one.

Boolit Master
    As Idahoron said you have to wait a long time to get one of the Pedersoli Gibbs rifles. It took me about 4 years to finally find one at a reasonable price. I was able to find one in Texas and the original owner was shooting short range matches with it, maximum out to 100 yards. It came with the brass funnel, their grease groove bullet mold, two range rods and the mid range tang sight setup. Max I have shot mine is 300 yards and I use 90 grains of Goex FFG, 0.060 fiber wad and Doug Knoell's solid bullet lube. The bullet is either Pedersoli's 525 grain bullet or my BACO Creedmoor 540 grain bullet, both are pure lead. The only rifle I have that is more accurate is one I put together with a Ron Smith gain twist barrel a couple years ago and it has a 12 power Unertl scope.
    John

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Nice ! That’s my idea of a Rifle!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Here is an item that will cause some thinking....in the papers that came with the Gibbs I finally bought were instructions on how to load and shoot the rifle with the Pedersoli mold bullet. It is a flat nose grease groove bullet, cast in pure lead. Pedersoli said to load the powder with their funnel/tube, do not compact the powder charge and set the pure lead bullet lightly on top of the powder charge??!! Way different than my black powder cartridge loads (45-70 w/ 68 grains) and in looking back over results from the muzzle loading world championships there were shooters that actually did use a loading setup as recommended! I found that with a 100 grain load of Goex FFG and loaded as Pedersoli says to do, my 300 yard targets looked the same as my other bullets.
    John

Here another target with the Pedersoli Gibbs, this time the rifle was loaded with 85gn of swiss n.3, 20gn more than before, preparing for a longer distance: 600 yds.
    I started to lube my PP bullets with a thin layer of Ballistol

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2021-11-04 at 15.28.56.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	43.4 KB 
ID:	291255
    Last edited by Claudius; 11-05-2021 at 08:31 AM.

Boolit Master
    Nice shooting Claudius, here is what I do for a newly acquired rifle or even with the 1858 Remington C&B revolvers I got. First I find someone or more people that shoot my new firearm and see what they do for load, bullets, ETC. Since you are in Italy if it were me I would visit the factory to talk with the people who make the gun. Since I am in Southern California I can't easily do that so I use the method my late mentor told me in great detail to do. First I read any maker's papers to see what they recommend. Then I get my handy "Lead Sled" to hold the rifle so I am not in the equation. Get out my note book and set up 6 to 8 different loads, maybe 10 of each and do the same with the wad if you use one, then select the bullet(s) I want to try. I try to make sure they are bore riding size and the Gibbs rifling might have sharp edges so be careful.

Since you are hitting the 200 yard target pretty well I would work on getting the bullet impacts all in the center and pay close attention to every variable and where the impacts are. Also I always try to make sure there is little to no wind and I diagram how each bullet impacts and do I need to wipe between shots. Since you are using paper patched bullets the bore should not be bad but the Pedersoli Gibbs has a "patent breach" and should be wiped out each shot. I would note if the rifle changes any during the testing since the Gibbs has a single trigger it can get some residue build up and should always be 2# which is what the come from the factory set at. That is the pull set by international rules and is different that a double set trigger most Sharps have. Paper patched bullets are used by all the American team shooters and most long range shooters here in the States. Good luck and lets see some 10x's!
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Claudius View Post
    the octagonal rear portion width: 31.5mm
    Thank you sir.