Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWideners
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Titan Reloading

Thread: 1861 Springfield Misfires

Boolit Master

1861 Springfield Misfires

Last year I began my foray into Civil War era rifles and muskets by purchasing a Pedersoli 1861 Springfield rifle in spite of my son's admonition to get a 1853 Enfield rifle for a variety of reasons. I simply had my mind set on the 1861 rifle.

The rifle arrived and I spent an evening cleaning it getting it prepared for its first range trip. I had picked up some CCI "Multiple Use" Four Wing Musket Caps, had ordered and received some Minie ball from Dixie while awaiting my bullet mold. With all my accoutrements in-hand and a brand new rifle I proudly loaded the first bullet. I capped the nipple, took aim, squeezed the trigger, and nothing happened. The great boom I was expecting to hear never came. I check the charge seating, recapped the nipple, took aim and tried another shot. Again - nothing.

Having fired many caplock rifles over the decades, I knew I could get some powder under the nipple and that may get the charge to fire. Fire it did with two distinct booms.
    So went the afternoon with most charges needing to be seeded under the nipple. Rather than spend an afternoon on the range showing off my new rifle and bragging about it, I slunk back to the truck with the rifle cased and hidden from view. Something was terribly wrong.

An internet search revealed that there was a modest amount of dissatisfaction with the CCI brand of musket caps so I ordered some RWS caps with more horsepower - according to the internet experts. I returned to the range with the RWS caps and experienced fewer misfires but still, had about 4 in 10 fail to fire. I was now wondering how in the heck the Union Army won the Civil War with rifles that didn't shoot 40% of the time!

Deep and detailed investigation revealed that the larger snail on the 1861 rifles was never an optimum design and the 1853 snail makes this abundantly clear. I looked with more detail and discovered that the snail clean-out screw on my rifle was protruding well into the snail under the nipple and blocking a large part of the area directly beneath the nipple flame orifice. Clearly that is not a good idea and even I can deduce that with my non-engineering mind. Clear hole good. Blocked hole bad.

I removed the clean-out screw and reduced its length to just clear the screw channel and not block the flash channel. I also noticed that some of the nipples I had ordered as spare nipples had a larger throat size and some with the narrower throats had a dimple on the base of the nipple at the exit orifice. I took one of the nipples with a larger throat and cut a dimple on the base of the nipple like some of the other nipples had.

The rifle now fires the first time and every time with these few simple steps. The CCI caps fire the gun just fine as do the RWS caps. One would think that Pedersoli would figure out that a blocked flash channel can't be good and that all the manufacturers would, by this time, optimize the nipple design for the 1861 series of rifles.

If you are fussing with misfires on your Pedersoli 1861 Springfield, please check that the flash channel is not blocked by a clean-out screw that is too long and of course, try another nipple with a larger throat. I got my replacement nipple from Track of the Wolf.

Off to burn some powder!

Banned
    Great post!

Just like any new rifle, it always pays to go through it and find those little things the factory didn't get right. Glad to hear it was an easy fix and you're off and running now. And yeah Enfields are nice but Springfields are so much more comfortable to shoot, don't listen to that boy.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    don't listen to that boy.
    Ha! He was beside himself when I told him I was getting a 1861.

Boolit Master
    I've never fired an Enfield but suspect with that stock design they would be cheek busters like the Snider is.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Master
    Congratulations! Enjoy the Springfield.
    Bob
    SMOKELESS IS JUST A PASSING FAD!-STEVE GARBE

FORMER NJ HUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR
    GOA LIFE MEMBER
    SASS LIFE MEMBER

ADAPT, IMPROVISE, OVERCOME!
    "ANY MAN WHO THINKS HE CAN BE HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS BY LETTING THE GOVERNMENT TAKE CARE OF HIM, BETTER TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THE AMERICAN INDIAN!"-HENRY FORD

Quote Originally Posted by elk hunter View Post
    I've never fired an Enfield but suspect with that stock design they would be cheek busters like the Snider is.
    Depends on your build and how you hold them. I have several original Enfields I've shot in N-SSA comp. and managed to shoot them very well, usually scoring in the mid 90's in individual bull's-eye targets.

Quote Originally Posted by Ithaca Gunner View Post
    Depends on your build and how you hold them. I have several original Enfields I've shot in N-SSA comp. and managed to shoot them very well, usually scoring in the mid 90's in individual bull's-eye targets.
    I shoot both, and they all work but you certainly don't hold them the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    I shoot both, and they all work but you certainly don't hold them the same.
    After injuring my right shoulder again, getting an Enfield up to shoot is somewhat difficult and painful, an 1863 Springfield is no problem though.

Great post. Nice teaching moment. Now I feel left out since none of my 4 rifled 58 cal muskets have a cleanout screw (Zoli Zouave, Zoli "Buffalo Hunter" Hawken, and Enfield Musketoon. The Navy Arms and RWS musket caps are very reliable however.
    Hellgate in Orygun
    With 16+revolvers, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of cap&ball.
    If you do not subscribe to a newspaper you are uninformed. If you do subscribe to a newspaper you are misinformed. Mark Twain
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

Boolit Buddy
    If you're serious about accuracy, you'll find that a large hole in the nipple is not a good thing. It leads to flyers. You'll also need to stick with real black powder. Swiss is best. There's other things that go into making a Civil War musket shoot really, really well. And just for entertainment, here's a group from my Enfield musketoon
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	musketoongroup1.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	35.5 KB 
ID:	290415
    A man cannot have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition.
    Rudyard Kipling

Palmetto Sharpshooters
    North South Skirmish Association
    NRA Muzzleloading Instructor

We found the Brits got a lot of things right in their Enfield's, one of those things was not bothering with a clean out screw. A clean out screw is a solution to a non-existant problem. Anyone is welcome to their own opinion, but I've never had an issue with an Enfield, 1841 rifle, 1842 musket, Colt Special Model 1861, Springfield 1863, or 1864. I did have an original 1861 that blew a clean out screw out while firing once, ever found it, it simply went somewhere to the right.

Dave 951 is right about the nipples, big holes are not desirable at all.