WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackbox
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Load Data

Thread: New (to me) Shiloh 40-50 BN, Help Needed

Boolit Man

New (to me) Shiloh 40-50 BN, Help Needed

Hey guys, just had a chance in between morning and evening deer hunts to shoot my new Shiloh Sharps (Farmingdale). Still waiting on some tools to come in for brass conditioning, so I'm just using cut and reformed remington 45-70 brass. I'm shooting an RCBS 40-300-CAS (sized .408) bullet over 47 grains of Swiss 1.5F, and I'm guessing there is some resizing going on at the base of the bullet because I haven't reamed them yet, I pulled one and measure about .406 or so.

When shooting, I can't shoot more than about 2 round before they won't chamber any longer. I noticed there is some lead shavings around the case mouth area. Can you guys think of any issues that would cause this? Any help would be great! If it matters, I'm seating the bullets so that they are just off the lands.

Thanks in advance!

Try wiping after each shot or seating deeper. I work on the edge of chambering a round in my Sharps and can only get two shots off when using my bore riding bullet. The third won’t chamber due to fouling. Also, for hunting, you may want to seat a little deeper so you can reliably get more than two shots off and save those longer ones to use on paper

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    The case neck thickness is likely one culprit, and not chamfering the inside of the case mouth.
    If you can find some, 40-65 starline brass, or some of the once fired lever evolution 45-70 brass may be a better bet.
    Rocky Mountain Cartridge brass might be a good place to get enough to for just hunting, the owners shoot a 40-50 Shiloh bn.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Have you measured the length of your rifle's chamber or just going off what it is supposed to be? They may not be the same thing. Short brass will sometimes let the bullet bump up while still in the neck area of the chamber and then shave a ring off.

Boolit Man
    Thanks to all for the suggestions, I will be seating my bullet deeper to see if that helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    Have you measured the length of your rifle's chamber or just going off what it is supposed to be? They may not be the same thing. Short brass will sometimes let the bullet bump up while still in the neck area of the chamber and then shave a ring off.
    I actually did a chamber cast, and got a decent measurement. My chamber is about 1.75” in length, which is a good bit over standard (1-11/16”).

That being said, I was using previously reformed brass that came with the rifle…I measured those at 1.6”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I have a 40-50 SS and you might check what Don said. I had to make my own brass from 30-40 Krag brass. The wall thickness had to be reamed or the loaded rounds were hard to chamber and impossible after the first shot. After fire forming the brass and then neck reaming it was all good. I would think that reformed 45-70 brass would be worse yet. When you squeeze that neck down that brass has to go somewhere. Good luck.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!