Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRepackboxInline Fabrication
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Titan Reloading

Thread: Help with short barreled 40 S&W, Blue Dot, and Hornady XTP

Boolit Buddy

Help with short barreled 40 S&W, Blue Dot, and Hornady XTP

Scored a little over 100 each of Hornady 155 gr XTP hollow points and box of Hornady 180 gr XTP hollow points in .40 S&W.

Never loaded these before and obviously don't have a lot to experiment with. So looking for solid recommendations from folks who have used these in short barreled carry pistols.

First is a baby Glock (G27) with a short barrel. Second is a Glock 23 (midsize).

I have Blue Dot and W231.

According to my Speer 14th edition, best accuracy was achieved with powders in middle of burning rate.
    Their data for the Gold Dots (155 gr) which says Blue Dot is tops for velocity ( 10 gr @ 1,113 fps to max of 11 gr).

W231 is listed at 5.8 gr @ 867fps to max of 6.5 gr.

With the short barrel on the baby Glock, concerned with unburnt powder etc with the Blue Dot versus faster burning W231.

So any practical difference between the two in such a short barrel?
    Last edited by gishooter; 10-17-2021 at 10:23 AM.

Boolit Buddy

Would like to use the Hornady 180 gr XTP in the midsize G23 with the longer barrel.

Speer lists their 180 gr hollow point and Blue Dot as top powder at 8.0 gr start (953 fps). Max is 8.9 gr.

No load data for W231.

Anybody with experience with the midsize barrels and this combo (Blue Dot & 180 gr XTP)?

Boolit Master
    This is going to be interesting.

Boolit Buddy

Indeed. Would like to utilize these. But not a lot to experiment with. Blue Dot and W231 is the only powders I have on hand that appear in the manual.
    Might contact Hornady on Monday. But thought I'd check here first.

Boolit Master
    Since you have so few why not go the middle of the load data, load that charge, and shoot the guns? It isn't like you have a "ton" of those bullets and want a top performing load for "who knows what". I use 200 grain XTP bullets and 200 grain cast in my "baby" Glock 40 S&W known as the M27. Also the same in an XDm 40 S&W.
    In this situation I would pick a middle load and have fun.
    Last edited by 44MAG#1; 10-16-2021 at 11:08 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

I would focus on the 231 and forget about the Blue Dot as it is much too slow for a short barrel.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	325 kahr.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	290353

I have a mania for short barreled pistols. The ones pictured are my S&W 325 PD Air Lite (45ACP) and Kahr CM-40 (40 S&W), in most cases I have cut the powder charges back by 20% and focused on faster powders with powders like Red Dot, Clays. The reason being solely that chronograph testing has shown only a minimal increase in velocity past a certain point, indicating that the powder is not being burned. The only thing that increased is the muzzle blast from unburned powder.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Grand Master

It really comes down to what you want from the cartridge. Both powders are more than suitable, they are great choices for 40 S&W. Powder either burns, or it doesn't. Unless you are shooting a 1" barrel or something crazy, it's a non-issue. Most of my short barrel experience is with 357 magnum, and 327 federal, both in a snub nose revolver 1.7"ish barrel's. In both those, you can use even slower powder like H110, and it still provides even higher velocity. Bluedot works phenomenally well in snub nose revolvers. The only thing a short barrel does is increase muzzle blast, and the speed gap that you see between powders becomes more narrow. What might be a 200 fps gap from a 6" barrel, is now a 100 fps gap from a 3" barrel, but the slower (faster velocity) powder will always produce higher velocity.

As I said, both powders are great choices. Bluedot will burn completely, 3 1/2" barrel really isn't that short, so it will probably produce velocities not to far off from book values. Both Hodgdon, and Alliant's data was tested with a 4" barrels. It is a magnum powder, so there will be more muzzle blast than W231, but overall it is a sweet shooting powder well known for it's great accuracy. If you are looking to maximize velocity, this is the powder to choose. It is a mild mannered powder, that is great to work with. You can safely download it too, but in this application, you would be smart to stay at the top end to conserve components. If it were me, I'd load 5 each, 8.0 gr, 8.5 gr, and 8.9 gr (Alliant data) for the 180gr XTP. I'd choose Bluedot with the 180gr, the more speed the better. It works great in 10mm auto, and it doesn't look like it works well under 1000 fps. Same thing with 155gr, I'd do .5 gr jumps, which is how I normally do it.

W231 is more of a target powder, but that doesn't mean it will not work really well. It isn't really well known as a gentle, low flash powder, but it should produce less muzzle flash than Bluedot. It will not work any better or worse than Bluedot in a short barrel, but being a much faster burn rate, will always produce lower velocities, it's looking like about 150ish fps less. With less velocity comes less recoil, if that is what you are looking for. In smaller guns, don't overestimate what you can handle. Bluedot can push a 180gr to 1050-1100 fps, and that's not an easy shooting round on a gun you only have a couple fingers on the grip. With this powder, I'd only try the 155gr XTP. Hodgdon lists a max of 6gr, but consult other manuals, as your listed load should be fine too. Maybe just try 5.5gr and 6gr, and see how the groups look.

In conclusion, both powders are great choices. Bluedot is going to be the powder for the 180gr XTP, although if the 155gr shoot better, use that. Personally I love the 180gr. It comes at a cost of recoil and muzzle blast though. W231 I'd only focus on the 155gr, and you may find the reduced recoil and flash easier to shoot well. The choice is yours.

Boolit Master
    In reality no more bullets than he has it really doesn't matter. Now, if he had "lots" or "tons" of bullets and he was wanting a finessed load for a particular purpose concern would be greater
    As it is just load a load to have fun with and have fun

Alliant reload data indicates 8.9 Blue Dot with a 180 grain Speer Gold Dot Hollow Point.

I think Blue Dot will work fine. Regardless of the unburnt powder, you cannot get the power out of W231 that the Blue Dot will produce.
    Last edited by 1006; 10-17-2021 at 08:50 AM.

Boolit Buddy

Thanks for all the replies.
    My gut instinct is W231 for the 155gr XTPs also. These would be for the baby Glock (G27). But as suggested, will load handful with Blue Dot and handful with W231. Same with the 180 gr XTPs. I'll have a shooting buddy observe muzzle flash from the side.
    If there is no real difference in velocity and accuracy, I'll go with the load with less muzzle flash.