Load DataRepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Resizing Nickle Cases

On a progressive press, using a spray on lube makes everything easier. No build up that I have noticed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Boolit Master

I load nickel cases no differently than others except for the following observations.

Sometimes jacketed bullets on the low end of sizing tolerance will have reduced neck tension with nickel plated handgun cases. E.g. a batch of 10mm Nosler 150 jhps were sized .399". Those would slip right into nickel cases with thumb pressure whereas regular brasswas ok. So I avoid nickel cases in the event of undersized bullets.

2) I also have observed comparatively shorter case life for nickel plated.

3) they do require more effort through the sizer. All my handgun cases get a light spritz of Hornady One Shot -- even with carbide dies. Not required, but makes the whole experience easier. HOS doesn't need to be tumbled off and it doesn't build up in the dies.
    "There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something."
    ~Thorin Oakenshield

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by garbler View Post
    Every die maker I’ve ever worked with ( except Lee don’t use ) specifically notes that lube is not necessary sizing. You’re paying a premium for carbide dies which are sold as lube free so why lube and crud up the die. Once you lube the die the surface is coated with your lube which pretty much cancels out the benefits of the carbide working surface. Plus you now are buying into regularly cleaning your dies of lube build up. Sorry this scenario doesn’t make sense to me. If it improves or reduces the effort of your press I’m guessing that has more to do with the mechanics of your press than carbide. I’ve loaded 45 plus years and once I bought carbide my All Americans, Hollywood’s, RC’s etc don’t require any more force at all.

I’ve read several old reports from years ago that nickel plated cases do in fact work harden and split sooner than brass as previous noted by other posters. For years Federal pretty much sold all their 38 and 357 brass nickel plated so lots of Bullseye shooters use it and have lots of split mouths. One last issue is that nickel cases cannot be annealed. The heat necessary for annealing hardens the nickel resulting in brittleness. On bottle neck rifle cases this is a deal killer.
    A quick hit of Hornady One Shot makes it a LOT easier on my shoulder.

I've yet to have to clean the sizing die using One Shot. My 9mm sizing die has over 100K run though it and the 45 ACP has around 35k.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Grand Master

Lubricating with a spray on case lube is easy and sure makes sizing with a carbide die much easier ...
    ... in this world I like anything that's easier ... I don't have to keep my wife happy but when she's happy ... life's a whole lot easier !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by kevin c View Post
    It's easier on my arm to lube pistol cases, nickel or not, and the smoother action on my progressive press I think makes for greater consistency round to round.
    same here
    my two shoulder surgeries pretty much require I do whatever I can to lessen the effort of the sizing process
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Bub
    I understand the shoulder pain

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    In the past, when I was loading bulk pistol on a progressive (with carbide dies) I found if I took an ice cream container and dumped the brass (and nickel) cases in along with a couple of cubes of sponge foam wetted with Bolistol (I think that's how it's spelt .) Just rolled them around a bit and ran them through the press, definitely made life easier and I didn't have to worry about lube on the inside of my cases. Just something I used to do, also used some nickel, worked ok, but went a strange, almost a shadow chrome sort of finish when wet tumble cleaned

Cheers
    Reddirt 204

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by farmerjim View Post
    I, like several others, find that a little lube, tho not required, makes the job easier.
    +1, and I use Hornady one shot.

Boolit Master

Easier, for sure. I have shoulder problems too.
    Plus 2 on Hornady one shot.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Petander View Post
    Do you use this product? Any suggestions on how you use it other than the manufacturer recommends? I purchased it and only used it a short time. I wasn't completely satisfied with the results - but I likely used it on less than 500 rounds before setting it aside.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Northern Virginia, where the freeway does roam.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rfeustel View Post
    +1, and I use Hornady one shot.
    There's a big difference between "having to use" a case lube and "it's better to use" a case lube and you're doing it the better way.

When carbide handgun sizes came on the market no one had a tumbler to clean cases down to the bare metal. The light film of smoke and bullet lube blow back on cases was all the "lube" the new carbide dies really needed so normal lubing was dropped.

Later, tumblers became common. Cases were cleaned and often polished like odd shaped jewels without a residual trace of "lube." Yeah, TC dies survived the loss of lube fairly well BUT die wall galling and subsequent case scratching often occurs. A light touch of some kind of lube really helps both the loader AND the die itself.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12