Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad DataReloading Everything
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Repackbox

Thread: 44 Special wadcutter loads

Boolit Master

44 Special wadcutter loads

I'm looking for a load range for a 44 button nose wadcutter (old Lee mold).I have searched all the manuals that I have (quite a few) and can't find anything for 44 wadcutter. Since they load deeper than other 44 boolits in this weight range I am trying to be cautious.
    Cast of 50/50 ww/pure, it weighs 212 grains and has a total length of 0.575 inches. Base to top of crimp groove measures 0.495 inches and I want to use the crimp groove. I have more Unique than anything but also have 231, 700X, Universal and several other pistol powders. I am looking for loads from target velocity to defensive velocity, but nothing too wild.
    I would appreciate any suggestions from those with experience with 44 wadcutter loads.
    God Bless, Whisler

I load 4.5 of promo with a 190 grain wadcutter for a light target load.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by whisler View Post
    I'm looking for a load range for a 44 button nose wadcutter (old Lee mold).I have searched all the manuals that I have (quite a few) and can't find anything for 44 wadcutter. Since they load deeper than other 44 boolits in this weight range I am trying to be cautious.
    Cast of 50/50 ww/pure, it weighs 212 grains and has a total length of 0.575 inches. Base to top of crimp groove measures 0.495 inches and I want to use the crimp groove. I have more Unique than anything but also have 231, 700X, Universal and several other pistol powders. I am looking for loads from target velocity to defensive velocity, but nothing too wild.
    I would appreciate any suggestions from those with experience with 44 wadcutter loads.
    What does the Boolit weigh?

And can you post us a picture of it?

I also am soon to be loading up .44 Special Target Rounds, who's Boolits of course are obscure.

Weight, and how far 'in' the Boolit Base is in the Case, can then decide load comparisons with known published same-weight ones.

Boolit Master

As stated in OP, weight is 212 grains and base to crimp groove is 0.495 inches. I don't have measurements for anything close in weight to be able to make an extrapolation.

Thumbcocker: Promo is similar to Red Dot or is it Bullseye?
    God Bless, Whisler

Super Moderator

Promo is very similar to Red Dot. I use 6.0 grains of Bullseye with Accurate's 43-190W with excellent results in 44Mag cases. These are mild, very accurate target loads. If it were me, I'd drop that 6 grain Bullseye charge down a couple of grains to start in the 44 Special loads. 44 wadcutters are very enjoyable.

Boolit Grand Master

OP has 700X.

I'd suggest starting at 5 gr and work +/- for a good load in the 750 - 850 fps range.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

FWIW:
    I've used a couple wc over the years in the 44spl cases. These were the last bunch I used
    [IMG][/IMG]

Still have the mihec 220gr hbcw mold and the cramer 200gr wc mold. Sold the rest off. Only used bullseye and clays for target loads with the 44spl/wc combo's.

The wc bullets pictured above I used 4.0gr of clays or 4.2gr to 4.4gr of bullseye powder. The hbwc I used 3.6gr of clays or 4.0gr of bullseye.

Duplicating old factory wc loads used a 185gr type III wc (the top row far right bullet is a 200gr type III wc) and 4.5gr of bullseye that is rated at 850fps from a 6 /12" bbl'd revolver. Lyman used to sell a 429348 type III wc mold to duplicate the factory wc loads.

Decades ago I had that same lee wc mold & used that bullet for awhile in a ca bulldog. Can't remember the load I used. But I do know that I've always used the lyman 429421 load data/starting loads for any wc bullet I've ever cast or swaged (lead & jacketed).

I load 7 to 7.5 grns. of Unique with a 250 grn. wadcutter I swage to reshape from range scrap lead. I am shooting these in a Ruger Redhawk with 7.5" barrel. Very little recoil and fairly accurate. This is plenty to knock a 2x4 senseless.

These are in a magnum case.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master

I can definitely use 700-X although I have less than a pound of it left. I'll have to see if I can use my buddy's chrono since I don't have one.

My 44 Spl is a Taurus 441, so it won't take magnum cases. I may be able to back that Unique load down to compensate for the shorter 44 Spl. case and lighter boolit. I have plenty of Unique.

I will also check my Lyman manuals for 429421 data for 44 Spl. and see if I have any other useful powders.
    God Bless, Whisler

Quote Originally Posted by whisler View Post
    I can definitely use 700-X although I have less than a pound of it left. I'll have to see if I can use my buddy's chrono since I don't have one.

My 44 Spl is a Taurus 441, so it won't take magnum cases. I may be able to back that Unique load down to compensate for the shorter 44 Spl. case and lighter boolit. I have plenty of Unique.

I will also check my Lyman manuals for 429421 data for 44 Spl. and see if I have any other useful powders.
    This is a very light load in a magnum. The 7grns. will probably work in the 44 spl without a problem. I only use the magnum cases because that is what I have and I don't want to stock pile specials.

The Aliant website suggest 7.8 grns with a 225grn SWC GC bullet out of a 5.5" barrel doing 1043 FPS.

Here is part of the disclaimer on their site:

REDUCE RIFLE AND HANDGUN CHARGE WEIGHTS BY 10% TO ESTABLISH A STARTING LOAD.

DO NOT EXCEED THE LOADS DISPLAYED ON THE SITE OR ALLIANT'S RELOADERS GUIDE.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master

Thanks to those who have posted suggestions. Any and all suggestions welcome.
    God Bless, Whisler

Boolit Mold
    I understand that this is an older thread but I bought a bunch of the 215gr HBWC's from Matts and have come upon a very sweet load for my 3" s&w696 using 5.5gr of TrueBlue if using the hollow base out, like a hollowpoint and 6gr of the same if the hollow base down.
    6gr gives me 800fps and the 5.5gr gives me 745fps and both are plenty accurate at 15yds