Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackboxWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad DataLee Precision
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2

Thread: Removing Mold Release

Banned

Removing Mold Release

I bought a used rifle mold, cast iron. There is some kind of coating on the inside, I assume a release agent. I have tried soaking the halves in lacquer thinner, acetone,denatured alcohol, and spray carb cleaner and brushing. Nothing will move it. I like to keep them clean. Any ideas? Oh, I also tried spraying them with oven cleaner too.

I'd think carb. cleaner & a tooth brush would get it.

Hmm,,, the last resort I can think of is put it in the house oven and crank up its 'self cleaning', super hot cycle.
    If you're married, ya might have to carefully super heat it with a neutral flame propane torch.

If that doesn't work, it'll be a real headscratcher.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

I've had success cleaning all sorts of "enhancements" off of molds using brake fluid-not cleaner, ie. the fluid in the vehicle.
    Then dawn detergent & etc. routine.
    Thanks.

I had a couple of molds with that gunk in them, I soaked them with transmission fluid for a couple of days and was able to clean it off.
    Transmission fluid will usually lift nearly anything off metal surfaces.

Boolit Master
    I’ve used brake cleaner to clean.moulds. If that doesn’t work I’d resort to oven cleaner but don’t leave it on for an extended period (like over night).

Moderator Emeritus

NO idea if it might work for you -- but I have a Hornady Ultrasonic Cleaner, and using Lyman-brand (ultrasonic) parts cleaner have most successfully used it on iron moulds. On most I've had to use hot water in mix, and for one needed three cycles of cleaning -- but, followed by gently using a bronze brush got most all off. (The worst coating almost looked like black paint or bluing!)
    If other means do not work -- you may try this? Worked for me.
    geo

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Shooter, buy a small container of Eezox
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master

Ultrasonic cleaner with Lucas Ultrasonic cleaner straight don’t mix with anything.

Banned
    Right now, I have the halves soaking in trans fluid. A friend has an ultrasonic, don't know what he uses in it, but the the ATF doesn't help, he will give it a try.

Boolit Master

I had one mold I bought that had something unknown all over it...

Boiling hot soapy water and a tooth brush started the clean.

That did little, brake cleaner and a tooth brush cleaned really well but there was rust all outside. (Cavities perfect) so a soak overnight in Evapo Rust and it was clean as a whistle!! Another hot soapy water bath and spray down with brake cleaner and it was a castin machine!!

One big thing I love evapo rust. I have my salt water plyers soaking now. It removes everything even things ya may WANT like bluing!!! (Bluing IS rust) But you can re blue or allow a nice patina just casting and coating with mineral oil afterwards.

Good luck

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Grand Master

If Acetone soaking and scrubbing with a brush ( Seven day soak right ?) doesn't remove it ...
    I'm out of ideas ... usually Acetone , 7 day soak and scrubbings with a brush removes about everything I'm familar with ... Spray Drop Out Mould Release was the hardest to remove but it did eventually come clean . I would leave it and cast boolits and see what they look like ...You don't want to damage the cavities removing any of the "stuff " .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    The manufacturer of that black spray goo told me acetone. I was used to old trusty rusty iron molds, and the only way to drop respectable boolits was with coating the cavities with goo. I messed up a bunch of my grandsons Lee molds by coating the cavities thick with the goo and the boolits dropped out of round and undersize. I removed the black goo with acetone and some q-tips, both conditions were rectified.

Boolit Master

A brass toothbrush, make sure that it is not brass colored steel, check with a magnet.

Super Moderator

Toothpaste and a regular toothbrush will gently remove it, it's an iron mold. If that doesn't work, Comet and a toothbrush as a last resort.

Try to find a shop that does dry ice blasting. Its non abrasive and won't hurt the metal.

Boolit Buddy
    I shoot with BR, and he told me of this. The soaking didn't help. But the suggestion of a brass brush worked. Instead of a brush, he us d a worn bronze bore brush. The mold was 30 caliber and a 30 bore brush fit. He smeared Flitz in the halves and closed them on the brush then worked the brush turning it left and right. Cleaned the inside nice and shiny. It looked like new to me. He thought those here would like to know.