RotoMetals2Inline FabricationWidenersLoad Data
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackbox
Titan Reloading
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: New reloading room build

I was lucky....one time 50 years next year. I think my success there was due to marrying a rancher's daughter. They had only enough money to live, so she was used to being frugal and low maintenance....Heck she was better with my money than I was.....still is....so I deliver the whole paycheck without a care in the world. Trust is a wonderful thing ..... and it goes both ways. There are some really good girls out there.....find one to spend your waning years with if you want real happiness....and be what you want her to be.

Quote Originally Posted by GWS View Post
    I was lucky....one time 50 years next year. I think my success there was due to marrying a rancher's daughter. They had only enough money to live, so she was used to being frugal and low maintenance....Heck she was better with my money than I was.....still is....so I deliver the whole paycheck without a care in the world. Trust is a wonderful thing ..... and it goes both ways. There are some really good girls out there.....find one to spend your waning years with if you want real happiness....and be what you want her to be.
    Same story here...she helped me start my contracting business in 1978, took care of all the $'s incoming and outgoing business & home.
    That quality alone in a woman makes for peace of mind on earth!
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by makeurownfun View Post
    Hahah. I hate to hear that man. Hopefully my pictures take you back to the better times at least

I had never thought of doing an island before either, but that’s why I made a post asking for ideas and I am glad I did. It makes sense for this room. If the walls weren’t shaped this way I probably wouldn’t do it, but needing the height for the Dillons, they needed to be in the middle of the room somehow

And I have never been married. Maybe that’s selfish, but I like to think of myself more as cautious
    No worries! I'm a water under the bridge kind of guy.

I have a (almost) dedicated 20x20 building for reloading, gun projects and tool storage.

OS OK, I'm on #3 now! First one up and died on me, evil #2 robbed me and I believe #3 is perfect.

Boolit Buddy
    3 coats of satin “black magic” paint
    Ready for the maple this weekend! Not to polyurethane? Varnish? Oil? Stain? Leaning towards poly because it will hold up better for longer. But again, open to suggestions
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2020BDC0-6F64-4B3C-A301-07159102A930.jpg  

Boolit Bub
    You can save some headaches down the road by forgetting coatings like polyurethane, varnishes or any similar coating systems. All are easily damaged or broken down by many of standard gun cleaning or solvents used in gun rooms. The easiest option but a tad pricey is seven lam 3/4” UV one side maple ply. This stuff has an epoxy coating which will be impervious to the solvents and chemicals previously noted. You’ll have to find a real full service supplier dealing in a full spread of cabinet and marine plywood. Otherwise I’d say overlay with a laminate ( Formica ) or flood coat with epoxy resin or perhaps polyester resin, either can be tinted if you like.

Good luck
    Rick

Boolit Buddy
    Well I gave the bench a couple days off. So I moved just over half of my lead stash. Still trying to find some milk crates to be a little more organized with it. But for now this takes up the least space in the garage lol
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 30F8F61A-A04D-4CB2-9BC8-D97104C5C21F.jpg  

And a forklift? And a chemistry set? You'd really have something it you could turn lead to gold!

Boolit Buddy
    And a forklift? And a chemistry set? You'd really have something it you could turn lead to gold!
    Haha, no forklift. Just back problems in a couple years lol.
    I wish I could turn that into gold! I have probably 1000 more pounds to move and 90% of it will be in one location finally

Today I ripped the maple down and got it sitting in place. I’ve been attaching the 1.5x1.5 strips underneath to attach the maple from the bottom to the bench. But now I’m going to slightly round over the outer edge and polyurethane them 3-4 times. Also the bottom shelf will be 1/2” sanded plywood that I will also paint black
    On the bench you can see a section of the Wall Control, I think it’s going to work out well
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1805B511-9C74-4A54-8A4F-EE5E1B40A4B6.jpg  

Looking better every day! How tall did you decide to make your benchwork? I really like my drawer stack.....maybe you can get a prebuilt one to slide in somewhere.

You may influence me yet to built a little more bench on the other side of my room....it's looking good enough to cause some jealous thoughts!

Looks like you’ll be standing to work your presses. I built my bench so I could sit in a tall wheeled stool. I also made the bench front support legs angled back to the wall rather than square to the floor. Less footprint. Yours looks good. Don’t forget dedicated shelving, narrow shallow shelves for die boxes and bullet boxes, tall deep ones for books.

Boolit Buddy
    Looking better every day! How tall did you decide to make your benchwork? I really like my drawer stack.....maybe you can get a prebuilt one to slide in somewhere.

You may influence me yet to built a little more bench on the other side of my room....it's looking good enough to cause some jealous thoughts!
    They are 40” to the top of the maple. Being 6’1 this height seemed more comfortable to be able to stand and work the presses. I will also have tool “bar stools” at some point and will be able to sit and work the presses as well
    Yes I am going to figure out some type of drawer system somewhere for sure. Thinking of getting something to go beside where the mini fridge will go possibly

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Baltimoreed View Post
    Looks like you’ll be standing to work your presses. I built my bench so I could sit in a tall wheeled stool. I also made the bench front support legs angled back to the wall rather than square to the floor. Less footprint. Yours looks good. Don’t forget dedicated shelving, narrow shallow shelves for die boxes and bullet boxes, tall deep ones for books.
    Oh I will definitely have shelving and racks for storage. The pegboard wall I’m putting up, I have shelves that go on them and I plan on building small narrow shelves for parts of the bench for die storage and other things as well

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	93AF43C8-CA44-4A89-80D4-0DFBBAC341C0.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	68.8 KB 
ID:	291288
    My benches are only 33” tall. I’m 6’4”. Don’t need a fridge as I’m off right my kitchen. Never messed with any drawers. I leave my clutter out in the open.

Boolit Master

Have you locked-in on your press mounting method yet. I saw where you were considering using Tee channel and wondered if you had rethought that or not. I studied long and hard at that option but finally decided against it. My reloading bench is also my workbench and I just couldn't get around the reality of forever loosing small pieces, primers n powder down in there (and the cost). Although there are push in slot covers to keep stuff out, there went the flat work surface. Or the likelihood the 3/4" plywood is not thick enough to accommodate the routered slots and still have enough backing material for the Tee track's mounting screws to bite into.

I ultimately went with the blind Tee nuts and countersunk the top so that I could maintain a flat work surface with no place for stuff to fall through or into. If my mounting location landed over one of the top frame supports, I just used longer bolts. It is amazing just how strong those Tee nuts are, especially if you are using plates to spread out the push n pull forces.

https://www.amazon.com/RuiLing-Prong.../dp/B0746FTJT2
    The link is merely for pic purposes, They are available with longer/shorter shoulders depending on the material you are going into/through. Also in stainless or uncoated steel. I also found that you can counter sink into the steel threads without screwing up the threads. If something goes wrong you just drive them out with appropriately sized threaded bolt.

Since I used (10) 9"X10.5"X3/8" aluminum mounting plates, 1/4" (bolts) have proven to be more than adequate. All of my plates are identical with identical mounting holes which allow any plate/tool to be relocated into any set of installed Tee-nuts. My plates all mirror the modified hole locations I drilled into a medium sized In-Line fab riser. All bolts are flat headed counter sunk hex bolts.

My method is no better or worse than other options, but it works for me. If you want more info or pics PM me so we can exchanged phone numbers. My allotted forum space for pics is always teetering on full, texting pics doesn't eat up forum space.

Edit note: 11/20, I forgot to mention I had modified my in-line fab mount to accept all of my 3/8" flat plates. So I can use any of my presses/tools at workbench height or on the in-line fab mount.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2733.jpg   IMG_2734.jpg  
    Last edited by oley55; 11-20-2021 at 02:07 PM.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

Oley55, your mounting system is very much like mine except that I made a stupid overkill decision. My plates were originally 6”x12”x1/2” steel. I could have gotten by with 1/4” easily. The reason for going 1/2” was because I was drilling and tapping for the presses but 1/4” would have had plenty of threads.

I later made additional 6x6 and 6x12 plates of 1/2” aircraft plywood for powder measures, case trimmers and similar low stress tools. Baltic ply would work just as well and is less expensive than aircraft ply but I used what I already had. Hobby Lobby is one source of plywood that has lots of plies. It’s plenty good for that use.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Buddy
    Oley55, I decided to not use the T-track. I can see where it can be somewhat convenient, but I can also see the PITA it would be more often than not with dropping stuff into it. Also only using a single sheet of 3/4” for the top, I’m not sure it would have been thick enough for it. I do like what you did for your mounting, my Dillons do have inlinefab mounts for them, just waiting to finish the top before I start “permanently” mounting things. Certainly taking my time and planning it all out before drilling holes

Work this week and let has been kind of hectic. Not much time at all spent in the room, but I was able to finish putting in the last bit of 1.5”x1.5” around the inside of the frame to mount the bench top. Plus I was able to cut out that last piece of top for the end where the “brass prep” will be. Oh, and houses do not have a SINGLE straight wall in them… have to pickup some chamfer strip to cover some gaps
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 26B503B0-72CD-4369-B96C-92175EA12F19.jpg  

WOW!!! You're either not married or have the BEST wife on the planet!

In my first three houses my allowable reloading space was negotiated with my ex. I now have an "ex" so I spread out all I need in the air conditioned (AC is a necessity in south Florida unless suffering is part of the sport) garage
    Regards,

Gary

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by gnappi View Post
    WOW!!! You're either not married or have the BEST wife on the planet!

In my first three houses my allowable reloading space was negotiated with my ex. I now have an "ex" so I spread out all I need in the air conditioned (AC is a necessity in south Florida unless suffering is part of the sport) garage
    No sir, not married

I used 3/8” furniture nuts and allen head cap screws to mount my presses. The only ones that I switch around are a 12 and a 20 gauge Bair/Pacific shotgun press depending on what I’m building. Both have the same footprint. My other presses are permanently in place. I had experimented with their location using C clamps until I decided where I wanted them. Your bench looks good and you’re not married too. Plenty of time for hobbies. I’m also single now but was married for 42 years. Found a good one.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Baltimoreed View Post
    I used 3/8” furniture nuts and allen head cap screws to mount my presses. The only ones that I switch around are a 12 and a 20 gauge Bair/Pacific shotgun press depending on what I’m building. Both have the same footprint. My other presses are permanently in place. I had experimented with their location using C clamps until I decided where I wanted them. Your bench looks good and you’re not married too. Plenty of time for hobbies. I’m also single now but was married for 42 years. Found a good one.
    That’s a good idea also. I can mount them with clamps first and try it out for a few weeks and see if I’d like to relocate anything. That’s a good idea

Also, I think once I get the tops coated and mounted permanently, I’m going to assemble one of the Dillons completely, set it on the bench and see how close the the ceiling it is. Maybe set one of them directly on the bench and not the string mount just to see. Who knows, we will see how it looks/works

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast