Snyders JerkyWidenersReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: New reloading room build

Boolit Buddy

New reloading room build

Just purchased a new house, which means I get to build a new reloading room and make it even better. Which honestly, won’t take much over what I was using

So I measured out the room and plotted it on graph paper trying to consider as much as I can. Each square is 7.96” basically 8”. The bench will be 24” deep and probably 36-37” from the floor to the top. The only “issue” is that the walls are slanted (the light dotted lines down the sketch) starting at 58” off the floor. Which my brand new Dillons with case feeders will have to be under the full height of the ceiling. And this is the only way I have found to make this work. I have some other presses that will go along the slanted wall too

Now across from the “loading bench” that wall will have Wall Control boards on the walls to stand up some guns on and also put shelves to hold magazines and other stuff. Now under where it shows “gun storage” I will build compartments for ammo cans to slide under and then the stocks will sit on top of those and basically lean up against the wall. I have a metal door ordered with deadbolt for this room. I still have a safe in my bedroom

I will also be putting in some shelving to hold powder, primers, and other things across from the half bath.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 14D2EC0F-EB7B-4DC0-AE94-0C9A024C93EC.jpg   63003062-A61C-43CC-9A79-5959AAAFABE8.jpg   DA883D0E-69C5-4A8B-AAC2-DCC81849F454.jpg   99BE8005-F93E-4414-ACD8-79D089C00E01.jpg   4016261F-8472-4E75-B36A-2AAA9D8D75AD.jpg  

Boolit Man
    So I’ve moved seven times and built my reloading and gun room five times. You’ve got a nice space there with a ton of options and some creative installations. So just spitballing here but here are my thoughts. First if that is carpet I’d get rid of it. Carpet collects powder, primers you name it and after time you’ll curse it. If removing all is too much at least try to remove that carpet where the loading presses and case prep will take place. Cut it and lay some glue down tiles. Secondly make sure the overhead fan wash doesn’t hit your bench where scales and powder are handled. I’ve had to rooms built high near the roof peak with those kind of walls. The fan hits those angular walls and blows straight down on your bench and plays games with scales.

Shelving and bench height clearances with your presses can be easily figured to work with the sloping ceiling. As a former boat builder there were no right angles just angles and radii. We used ‘ joggle ‘ sticks which are just a stick with marks indicating measurements and elevations. So mock up your bench top depth with some cardboard or sticks and work out clearance elevation for your presses. You may need a couple more inches of bench top depth but the 58” transition climbs pretty quick so just a few inches farther out on the bench = much more clearance. One last thing typical heights for benches, tools etc runs 32-34” so unless you are very tall I’d lower the bench height. Have fun good luck

Rick

Boolit Master
    Those case feeders can be a problem with height. One of my Dillon 650 is about 4’’ higher than my original. I’m tall so can still reach to load but not look inside without stool or ladder. Looks good new space lots of room to spread out.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government..... When the people fear their government there is tyranny, when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

How tall are you? Are you planning to use loading stands to raise your presses? Are you going to build this yourself or hire it out? Are you going to do all your loading standing, sitting or some of each? Adding bullet feeders? What about tumbling? If so, in the same room or somewhere else?

Important to know the slope of the roof.....I see the 58" off the floor, how high is it off the floor 12 or 24" out? Be glad to help with scaled drawings, even 3d, but I need more measurements, with a tape, preferably not counting squares....too much chance for mistakes.

I've attached a PDF file that has a very stout yet inexpensive (material wise) way of building benchwork for you to check out and use if you like the idea. The last pictures are of my bench. I used formica for the top and used the extra piece in front instead of matching wood.....I still may remove that and replace the front piece with wood to make it look richer.

Attachment 290284
    Last edited by GWS; 10-15-2021 at 05:21 PM.

Boolit Master
    GWS what’s that pvc pipe to the left of stool air or water ? Inquiring mind needs to know.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government..... When the people fear their government there is tyranny, when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

Well, that's a foot pedal to raise my Forster trimmer up and down on a case....makes it a sit down operation.

The mod will accuse me of going off topic if I show you a video of it directly so I'll give you the link to it.

https://youtu.be/HU8RBQcwf4E

Boolit Buddy
    Double post, sorry
    Last edited by makeurownfun; 10-15-2021 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Double post

Boolit Buddy
    Glad this post got some ideas flowing

First, it’s not carpet. If it was, it would have been removed first
    Second, I am 6’1” and will have a stool to sit on but may do some loading standing.

I will be mounting my XL750s on inlinefab strong mounts. About 44” overall with case feeders. May add bullet feeders later. I should have also specified that the Dillons will go on the sides of the bench that kicks out towards the middle of the room. Not at the end, but facing each other basically

I will also be building this myself. Posses all of the skill required, if not then we are all screwed as I’m a pipe fitter and been in construction for way too long now haha.

The fan will most likely not be used while loading. This space is tied into my HVAC, and I’ll be putting a humidity/temp gauge on the wall somewhere to see if I need a dehumidifier. In the 1/2 bath I will be swapping the sink to a shop sink that is deep enough to fill and empty my Frankford Arsenal wet tumbler

@Hossfly I’m not sure what PVC you’re referring to?

Oh and I plan on attaching the benches to the wall, just FYI. I can buy sheets of Maple (yes) for $11 more than pine where I live. So that’s a no brainer for tops lol

Boolit Master

Congratulations!
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by GWS View Post
    How tall are you? Are you planning to use loading stands to raise your presses? Are you going to build this yourself or hire it out? Are you going to do all your loading standing, sitting or some of each? Adding bullet feeders? What about tumbling? If so, in the same room or somewhere else?

Important to know the slope of the roof.....I see the 58" off the floor, how high is it off the floor 12 or 24" out? Be glad to help with scaled drawings, even 3d, but I need more measurements, with a tape, preferably not counting squares....too much chance for mistakes.

I've attached a PDF file that has a very stout yet inexpensive (material wise) way of building benchwork for you to check out and use if you like the idea. The last pictures are of my bench. I used formica for the top and used the extra piece in front instead of matching wood.....I still may remove that and replace the front piece with wood to make it look richer.

Attachment 290284
    Oh and the tumbling will be on the “brass prep” table. I had to compress the pictures and you can’t read my hand writing. But I will convert it all to a clean sheet and label every dimension.

I thought of using Formica on the top, but since I can get 3/4” maple for $70 a sheet here when sanded pine in 3/4” os $59, I’m just going to get Maple and poly it 3-4 times. I also tossed around the idea of using T-track, but since my Dillons will be on the kick outs they can really move anywhere else because of height. Plus once I route out for T-track there’s kind of no going back. And I think it would be a catch all sometimes too

Quote Originally Posted by makeurownfun View Post
    Oh and the tumbling will be on the “brass prep” table. I had to compress the pictures and you can’t read my hand writing. But I will convert it all to a clean sheet and label every dimension.

I thought of using Formica on the top, but since I can get 3/4” maple for $70 a sheet here when sanded pine in 3/4” os $59, I’m just going to get Maple and poly it 3-4 times. I also tossed around the idea of using T-track, but since my Dillons will be on the kick outs they can really move anywhere else because of height. Plus once I route out for T-track there’s kind of no going back. And I think it would be a catch all sometimes too
    I used Formica for it's resistance to most everything I can manage to drop or spill on it, and it cleans up well even spilling solvents.....IOW's ..... I know me well. One thing I plan to do sometime is raise the face up a 1/16 or more, so rolling bullets and brass don't try to run away.

You have room to have everything mounted.....that's a super great time saver and convenience! Count the blessings.....the first one is that T-Track or even Inline Fabrication's quick change mounts become a PIA only others with less room have to deal with. I enjoy everything being always ready for action. My bench was plenty big for years....then I found the Lee APP and bought a I.F. quick change mount to be able to use it. I chose to share the spot my bench primer was occupying......and it annoys me to have to change back and forth.....that will be changed.....I'll find the room somewhere.

Now my bench is crowded.....two progressives, 2 single stations, the Forester trimmer (even turned vertical it takes room) and of course the Lee APP. Then I discovered 3D printing and have printed my own collators.....three and counting....and I have a wet tumbler and two dry tumblers.....it all takes room.

One thing I did that I haven't seen before is I made a horizontal rail over the bench that I can mount my collators to, and slide them the length of it if needed. Here's pictures only to maybe get ideas from.

Below: My first try at a small bullet collator sitting over the APP. If I want to process cases I move a case feeder there.

Last two pictures show how I mounted two collators, a case and a bullet, to one mount on the rail.

Above: the upright has a Tee.....left collator mounted to the end of the left side of the Tee.
    Below: you can see a "3D printed plug" that I just push into the right side of the Tee. It rotates to any angle.

The reason I show you this is to give you some incentive to plan ahead....the future brings more tools for sure. Preferably you don't want to make it as crowded as mine if you can help it.....I never thought I'd be messing with this much stuff!

you mentioned trying to see over the tops......I'm a lot shorter than you are.....as you can see, angled mirrors was the answer.
    Last edited by GWS; 10-15-2021 at 10:42 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I used Formica for it's resistance to most everything I can manage to drop or spill on it, and it cleans up well even spilling solvents.....IOW's ..... I know me well. One thing I plan to do sometime is raise the face up a 1/16 or more, so rolling bullets and brass don't try to run away.

You have room to have everything mounted.....that's a super great time saver and convenience! Count the blessings.....the first one is that T-Track or even Inline Fabrication's quick change mounts become a PIA only others with less room have to deal with. I enjoy everything being always ready for action. My bench was plenty big for years....then I found the Lee APP and bought a I.F. quick change mount to be able to use it. I chose to share the spot my bench primer was occupying......and it annoys me to have to change back and forth.....that will be changed.....I'll find the room somewhere.

Now my bench is crowded.....two progressives, 2 single stations, the Forester trimmer (even turned vertical it takes room) and of course the Lee APP. Then I discovered 3D printing and have printed my own collators.....three and counting....and I have a wet tumbler and two dry tumblers.....it all takes room.

One thing I did that I haven't seen before is I made a horizontal rail over the bench that I can mount my collators to, and slide them the length of it if needed.

The reason I show you this is to give you some incentive to plan ahead....the future brings more tools for sure.
    And that is why I made this post. To get ideas from people who have experienced certain things that I will come to experience so I can try to avoid. I too have a 3D printer, APP press, 2 single stages, a lee turret and lee pro 1000 lol.

We will be discussing a lot of this soon! But for now it’s time to call it a night. Thanks for the pictures and I sight for tonight though!

Banned

Attachment 290284
    Thanks for posting your plans and pics.

I’ve always used Masonite for my surface. It’s not ideal as water and oils stain it. After looking at yours, this time I ‘m going to try Formica on the bench I am building in the garage. Vibratory cleaning and maybe casting will happen out there. Other than that it will be a bicycle repair stand and general work bench.

Boolit Master
    My reloading area is short on two inter-related things that good advance planning can help with: clear bench top workspace and accessible storage.

Since you're starting with pretty much a blank slate, I hope you put in a lot of both.

I’m in the process of being evicted from my dedicated gun/reloading room/office due to my oldest daughter getting to the age she wants her own room. I told her she’s lucky she only has one sister in her room,I’m the oldest of 8. There was 5 of us boys and 3 girls lol when I was 16 and said I wanted my own room I got moved to a glorified closet lol I guess I’m actually getting an upgrade from my old shooting shack upstairs because now I’ll have the entire basement with its own head and me and the girls can shoot my old Stevens gallery gun loaded with wax cb’s down there too
    J.m Shrader

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin c View Post
    My reloading area is short on two inter-related things that good advance planning can help with: clear bench top workspace and accessible storage.

Since you're starting with pretty much a blank slate, I hope you put in a lot of both.
    Oh absolutely. That’s why I’m here. Trying to hear other ideas and more eyes on it. There will be a shelf under all of the bench space. Above the bench on the wall will be more wallcontrol metal pegboard. The blank space in front of the bathroom door will be shelving for bigger stuff

Boolit Man
    Just spitballing here but often we get stuck with conventional wisdom and often end up creating more work than it’s worth. Step back, review your real estate/floor plan and think about a center island work around bench. If clearances work there are any many many advantages to this type of bench. Having 360° of working access like a woodworkers trestle bench the concept has proven itself for hundreds of years. And though it should be anchored to the deck with weight it’s not real critical so the option to move it, if needed, is a nice feature. Think about it.

OP, you may want to consider a docking system either store bought or home made. That will allow some flexibility to move things around and also with blank inserts you can have a clear bench top if needed. I've used the same size socket and plate since the early 90's.
    Its a hoot seeing your new room pics, the first dedicated room I used was upstairs with knee walls. That's when I started using the docking system. Lost that house to evil wife #2
    I have 4 different height benches in my current shop, one is the first one I built in the early 80's. I've modified the tops to use the same plate/socket setup.
    Good luck, I'm jealous of your new space.

Boolit Master

My new reloading room situation is similar but actually worse. The flat ceiling in the middle is about 2’ wide and 6’6” headroom. I looked at several houses that had similar rooms over the garages. Would you consider moving the presses toward the full height ceiling area? If I had your space I think I would sacrifice some of the adjacent area to get the room needed for the Dillons.

My space was squeezed out of an otherwise useless space above my workshop so I’m glad to have it but it’s tight. I’ll have to use my Dillons sitting down. I’ve never done that before. I’ve always stood for the progressive presses and sat for single stage loading. The idea of building an island in the middle makes a lot of sense without being able to look at it first hand.
    Last edited by David2011; 10-18-2021 at 03:06 AM.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast