WidenersRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad Data
RepackboxInline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Opinions on Browning BLR?

Boolit Master
    My 358 BLR gets its rack cleaned with a toothbrush regularly. No problems yet, and it's very accurate. I used to live back-to-back with a gunsmith. He once used go and no-go gauges to reassemble a BLR rack and pinion in his spare time. It took a couple days trial and error, but it's possible.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post

There's an alternative to the Browning BLR, the very similar (and less expensive ? ) Henry Long Ranger

https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/the-long-ranger/
    Yeah. . .gonna have to give that one a look too. Initial research seems promising. Like that they kept the trigger off the lever. Hate that they only do it with a straight wrist stock with a ton of drop at the comb.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Mold
    I have a BLR81 in 358 Winchester and love it. It would probably be the last centerfire I would part with if things went really south.

Boolit Master
    I just asked my father (his BLR is a 1968 purchase) about his rifle.
    He has:
    A) never disassembled it for cleaning
    B) cleaned it thoroughly last roughly in 1998
    C) has killed 8 out of the last 10 game animals he fired at first shot
    D) has killed around 40 elk and enough deer and antelope that he can't recall
    E) doesn't know why everyone makes such a big deal out of the action when I have read some of these posts to him.

He bought it because it was a lever gun in a more modern cartridge than his previous ca 1895 Winchester 30wcf. It has it's first and only scope on it - a 4x on it. It worked for him for sport and feeding his family.
    I have owned a few, can't say it's my cuppa - but his has certainly gotten the job done in remarkable fashion.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

I had a 1971 model in .308, second year of production, and it was made in Belgium.

Great gun, took different magazines than subsequent models. Mags are either impossible to find or priced like emeralds. lol

Light, short, accurate, powerful, in other words, a great woods gun.

Boolit Master
    I had a first model with the protruding magazine in .358 Winchester. It was a very accurate rifle for cast bullet or the jacketed variety but, like a fool I sold it. Pretty stupid huh! Well, last year I got a Lightweight Stainless T/D also in .358 and while a nice rifle, I think the old model was far superior. I would certainly trade my current to my old one....in a heartbeat!

Boolit Master

I have the older Japanese pre-81 model in .308. It is a solid rifle that is accurate enough for any common hunting distances.
    This model has the rare magazine. I saw one on on e-bay for $495.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12