MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWidenersLoad Data
RepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on Browning BLR?

Boolit Master

Opinions on Browning BLR?

My Dad's got some physical limitations that are making rapid operation of a bolt action impossible, but he can still run a lever action. Considering options that get him out of the blunt nose bullet / tube magazine combinations and into spitzers and longer ranges.

Seems like the "geared" mechanism of the BLR would be easy to unlock and fast, it takes the "modern" rounds and allows for conventional scope mounting. Looks like a winner on paper anyway.

Your thoughts on the gun?
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

I think they are wonderful rifles, as long as you don't take them apart.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    I think they are wonderful rifles, as long as you don't take them apart.
    Considering one myself,,,,,,,Please explain “as long as you don’t take them apart”.

Boolit Master
    I agree with Nobade.
    I have a BLR81 in 223 that is a coyotes nightmare. Handy, accurate and fast.

Boolit Master
    My father has used his BLR in 308 for over 50 years. It's accurate, well built and reliable.
    It is not the lightest rifle, and it's definitely not for the faint of heart to disassemble!!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    They use a rack and pinion system to operate. If you disassemble it it can be difficult to get the gears to mesh in the proper relationship to lock up and fire.

I made the mistake of buying a used one at a gun show. Someone had disassembled it and not gotten it back together right. It wouldn’t fire much of the time. No local gunsmith would work on it. I sent it back to Browning who repaired it at what I considered an astonishing cost. That’s not the only case I know of where Browning’s factory service was way expensive. I’ll never buy another Browning product.
    Last edited by Buzz Krumhunger; 10-15-2021 at 09:48 AM.

Northern Virginia, where the freeway does roam.
    I like my 308 blr. It has eaten a bunch of the lee 170 fn bullets powdercoated with out gaschecks loaded over 4227 or 3031.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I have an early 90's .308 and really like it. Only thing is, they have a really snug chamber by design and may require small base dies. If using factory ammo then no worries. One thing to remember, the BLR is light and is going to have some kick in .30'06 or any of the magnum rounds.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

There's an alternative to the Browning BLR, the very similar (and less expensive ? ) Henry Long Ranger

https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/the-long-ranger/
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    The BLR is a great little hunting rifle
    I do prefer the 81 steel receiver models
    Never had any issues yet with reloading for them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Master

I have had a BLR for years with never an issue. It should work great.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Moderator Emeritus

I have a pre 81 BLR in 308. I hired a local gunsmith to replace the firing pin when it broke, no problems and a 3 week turn around in September. I really enjoy mine and have owned a 358 which I replaced with a bolt.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Quote Originally Posted by Cast10 View Post
    Considering one myself,,,,,,,Please explain “as long as you don’t take them apart”.
    Looks like you got your answer already. If you haven't worked on them before they can be quite challenging to get put back together. After you do a few they're not too bad. The worst one I ever got was one another gunsmith couldn't get together so he started cutting on things. Sharp fellow.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    Looks like you got your answer already. If you haven't worked on them before they can be quite challenging to get put back together. After you do a few they're not too bad. The worst one I ever got was one another gunsmith couldn't get together so he started cutting on things. Sharp fellow.
    I’m wanting a 358 Winchester. I hear good and not so good here. If you mess with things you don’t understand, you’re heading for trouble. In Anything! It sounds like its a sound and good shooting rifle.

Boolit Master
    I have several, the last one I bought soured me completely on Browning. A 325 Win with the Camo stock and Stainless Barrel, Aluminum Receiver. If the action is not wet with oil the action does not function, refuses to open empty or just fired. I returned the rifle to Browning, it was returned without the problem being addressed. I don't like to hunt with wet, oily rifles that may not work for the second shot without squirting lube into them. The triggers on the several I have I just terrible, stagey, gritty, creepy and 5 to 7.5 lbs. They are nightmares to disassemble and assemble so they work, doing a 'trigger job is is almost impossible though there is one individual who will work on the trigger for over $125. I have a Henry Long Ranger in .223, similar to the Browning but it has a very good factory trigger and some difference from the BLR's that are definite improvements. I have a Browning BLR in 223 also and much prefer the Henry Long Ranger. The Browning's have a high gloss mirror finish on wood and metal that really doesn't work hunting, the Henry's are a more of softer less reflective finish that deos not flash when light hits. The Henry Long Ranger is available in .243, .308 and 6.5 Creedmoor. If you can find a Featherweight Savage 99 in 300 Savage, 308 Winchester, maybe a .243 with tang safety and rotary magazine, you will have an even better rifle, but for new and modern cartridges (pointy bullets) the U S A Made Henry Long Ranger is a better rifle than the Browning BLR for field use. Again I own both, but most of my deer antelope and elk are taken with Featherweight Savage 99's.

Boolit Master

I agree they’re great rifles, mine was .308 and my son finally got it. I don’t quite get not being able to work a bolt and thinking a lever would be much better.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogtamer View Post
    I agree they’re great rifles, mine was .308 and my son finally got it. I don’t quite get not being able to work a bolt and thinking a lever would be much better.
    After years of hunting and shooting with older people and military disabled - I agree that a lever can be far easier to use than a bolt action.
    Light semi autos are difficult to come by or cumbersome to some also - but a case could be made for them.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

I had one open a couple weeks ago, here's some photos.[ATTACH=CONFIG][/ATTACH]Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_2250.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	64.6 KB 
ID:	290409Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_2248.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	84.9 KB 
ID:	290411Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_2252.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	55.2 KB 
ID:	290412

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Don McDowell View Post
    The BLR is a great little hunting rifle
    I do prefer the 81 steel receiver models
    Never had any issues yet with reloading for them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Agree totally, steel receiver is the way to go on these. Aluminum is just too lightweight in anything over .243 for my taste.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    I love mine . It was my dad's , bought in the early 80's . It's a .358 Winchester and as far as I know has never needed to be taken apart . If it does it will go to someone who is trained to handle any issues it might have .
    Last edited by Eddie Southgate; 10-31-2021 at 10:34 PM.
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast