Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rem 66

Boolit Master

rem 66

is there much of a market for them?
    i saw few yrs back the green was very HI dollar
    i have the brown.

Boolit Grand Master
    Have seen them at shows for $300-$400 for the Brown ones. Little more for the black/chrome ones and as you said, the green ones are High.

Yes there is a small market for Rem nylon 66’s. The brown ones are most common and at gun shows I see them offered for sale from a low of $ 200 on up to mid $ 300’s. I haven’t followed them on gunbroker so I can’t give you a value what they have been selling at recently. I have owned them and they are great guns but they are not for everyone so to get top dollar they need to be mint and most aren’t because they were designed as knock around reliable low cost rifles.

Jedman

My first .22 Rim Fire was a Nylon 66, brown in color. The black & chrome model seemed a bit too flashy for my intended use of the gun, hunting. I have no idea how many bricks of various brands of ammunition I fired through it before cleaning it. I will say I can only remember one jam. The Nylon 66 is pretty much the Glock of .22's Not that pretty, but reliable as they come. One in decent, clean condition would be an easy $300 in my neck of the woods. As with pretty much all things firearm related, the prices are a bit higher than 18 months ago. If you're looking to part with it, I would go look over on Gunbroker and current auctions and ones recently sold. That should get you ball park figure what it's worth.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    I sure regret selling mine. Needed diapers and formula....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel complete because I have two. Both Mohawk Brown. Like the first one I bought over Dad's objections when I was 14. He didn't believe in "plastic" guns. He came around and bought himself one later. He's 92 now and gave me his earlier this year. Given good ammo, they are as good or better than any other semi auto .22 rifle ever made.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I am glad I bought mine used, in 1973, for $35. It eats every thing I've fed it. Not as accurate as my bolt action 22, but it can surprise you at times. I'll never get rid of it.
    Last edited by CastingFool; 10-15-2021 at 03:47 PM.

Boolit Master

I had a Mohawk 10 I think. It was brown and fed from a clip magazine. Seemed like the barrel was kind of loosely connected to the receiver where the rear sight was attached. Still it was a shooter but not as in demand as the 66.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

FWIW, there were two different shades of green used in the Nylon series of rifles - the early/dark Seneca Green, and the later - a bright pea green.

The earlier Seneca Green has historically brought the most $$$

I had a Seneca Green Model 66 that I used for the now arcane sport of dump rat shooting, until a sanitary landfill process came into general use.

I removed the rear sight elevator to get the sighting notch down on the barrel, so it would zero at those typically extremely short ranges (5' to 20')
    Last edited by pietro; 10-16-2021 at 02:56 PM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    well i will get a pic
    my only problem was the receiver cover is not connected to the barrel. a scope wont stay 0 it will move. so used it open sights till eyes got old

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by too many things View Post
    well i will get a pic
    my only problem was the receiver cover is not connected to the barrel. a scope wont stay 0 it will move. so used it open sights till eyes got old
    The first trick there is to place your front ring at the furthest forward point possible on the receiver rail and crank the beejeezus out of it. The second is to accept that while the rifle will give you field accuracy in spades, it was never intended to be a replacement for an Anschutz 54.

The brown ones are the least desirable to collectors, but they do have a solid following - probably in the $300-$400 range. They run VERY well with minimal cleaning - which is good, because disassembly is NOT for the faint of heart.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Banned
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nylon 66 at Wannamacher show.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	116.7 KB 
ID:	290324

Banned

The best $100 rifle that $300 can buy

Quote Originally Posted by too many things View Post
    is there much of a market for them?
    i saw few yrs back the green was very HI dollar
    i have the brown.
    I don't know if they sell at that price but that is what they are asking for the brown ones. Black ones a bit more. Green ones are very high.

Boolit Master
    I saw 2 black diamonds yesterday in a high end shop labeled as apache's for 950 each good luck with that.

I was at a gun show quite a few years ago and saw what was claimed to be a gallery gun. Very rough condition with holes were it was chained to the bench and very beat up. The guy wanted twice what any of the standard 66's were going for. Seems to me it was chambered in .22 short and very rare.

As for me I have I have an Apache Black and love it. I have had for over 40 years and it is still tight and shoots well. I call it the original plastic gun.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    They run VERY well with minimal cleaning - which is good, because disassembly is NOT for the faint of heart.

The easiest way to clean one is with kerosene (hardware store, some gas stations).

Remove the receiver cover & ejector ( the sheet metal ejector can only be seated one way, aka K.I.S.S.), then remove the barrel via the screw in the bottom of the forestock.

Pour some kero into/over the naked "receiver" area, maybe work it in with a soft brush - then let it drip-dry.

(When the kero evaporates, it will leave a thin film of oil in the hidden parts)

Clean the separated barrel as per usual, then re-assemble...………………..

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

I had a Gallery Special for a short while. I bought it from Jackson Arms that was directly across the street from SMU. It jammed a couple of times( we alerted the media- Nylons don't jam!) I Cleaned it up and let it go- .22 shorts were hard to find even then and I always preferred a bolt action for .22 shorts.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    the lifter dont work good for shorts . i have shot some , kind if manual the rem hi speed would do a few. auto. but
    only ammo i had a problem in LR was the win wildcat , it would give problems
    this one i would guess has not had 1000 shot. gun is clean for age

Moderator Emeritus

I was "in the market" for one for a while, my thoughts being to have one complement my XP100 -- similar looks . Two different LGSs had the word out, but none came up. This was pre-Internet vendors (e.g. G-broker, etc.)... But, pre my leg giving out (and a myriad of new grey hairs) I would have paid premium for one!
    geo

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    I was "in the market" for one for a while, my thoughts being to have one complement my XP100 -- similar looks . Two different LGSs had the word out, but none came up. This was pre-Internet vendors (e.g. G-broker, etc.)... But, pre my leg giving out (and a myriad of new grey hairs) I would have paid premium for one!
    geo
    There are quite a few on GB as we speak but they are proud of them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast