Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWideners
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Ugh, not another backwoods predator defense thread!

Boolit Master

No never even saw a bob cat. I've heard them at night camping on the mountain though. Only thing i have seen chasing deer was a pack of germen shepherds when i was kid.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Carry a load for bear, you'll never see the cougar attack or it will happen so fast you don't have much chance to shoot. They leap a long way, fast. IF you can convince the warden of possible deer damage, go for it.
    ps: as a kid, brown bear about 10' away decided the hatchet in my hand wasn't worth it, or just wasn't interested. That cougar bumped the bottom slideout bed on the camper while finishing the trash I (forgot) left there. Sat up for a long time with a 380.
    Last edited by popper; 10-21-2021 at 05:02 PM.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    you'll never see the cougar attack
    Never say never.

About 8 years ago some older (look who's talking) friends of mine lived about a mile from where I am now. She was taking an afternoon nap in their bedroom and woke up to find the neighbors dog with his head under the bed after her cat. She rolled up a magazine and swatted the dog on the rump. Her husband heard the noise and entered the room. The dog backed out from under the bed except it was a mountain lion. It tried to get out through a full length mirror shattering it. The unarmed husband backed into a corner and the cougar finally found her way out.

Sometimes all you need is a magazine.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master
    I remember reading about a mountain lion attack on a hiking trail in California. Lion had a woman by the head and was trying to drag her into the brush off the trail. Her companions had the women by the feet in a kind of tug of war. Once the animal has closed and is biting someone a companion has time to shoot it.

Boolit Master
    I always preferred revolvers over an auto in the woods. 44 mag, loaded to a bit below maximum 44mag levels, heavy cast boolits. Or 45 Colt, loaded a little below "Ruger Only" loads if the revolver was built for them. Once again, heavy cast boolits. That's for 4-legged critters. I'll stay out of the fight about which is better, double action or single action.
    Now, if you're figuring you may meet up with some of the 2-legged ones and you have only the funds to purchase one handgun, the 45acp would be my choice. Cases are easy to find, load 'em down for practice, load 'em up with stronger springs for carry. A couple of extra magazines take up very little space in your pocket. Around here the Meth or Cannabis cultivators usually have more than shovels.
    I've found that something long over my shoulder can be a bother, vs. a handgun in a shoulder or chest holster. More than once I've hidden my shotgun or rifle in the woods, picking it up on my way out at the end of the day.
    The difference is what is comfortable for you, what you can use quickly, and what gives you peace of mind. Like you, I'm not Jerry Miculek and the 12 shots in my 6906 won't do me a bit of good for sneaky critters of the 4-legged variety. My Smith and Wessons go with me on nice days, the Rugers can go on any day.
    I've also be known to tuck my j-frame .357 in my back pocket or coat pocket. That's only on days when it's better to keep it hidden.
    Last edited by GL49; 10-25-2021 at 12:40 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by centershot View Post
    ^^^^ This! The Shockwave is perfect for what you describe, although as already stated, the likelihood of attack is low. Personally, I never go into the forest without a good defensive weapon.

yeah preperation is everything, i asked my buddy about the cougar attacks he has suffered through over the years. He admitted situational awareness was at fault, and that buying them a drink was normally enough for him to escape to freedom.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234