RepackboxReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWideners
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ugh, not another backwoods predator defense thread!

Boolit Master

Imho...the 38 is fine..but when walking in the woods..wear it in an external easy draw holster. Bears will usually leave if they hear you...so make noise in bear country...cats on the other hand..they will stalk you..so pay attention. Being in pairs and both armed let's one member draw and shoot if an attack occurs.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    Shotgun hands down, any shotgun, any load.

Buckshot is good. At close range it does not matter much.

Slung over your right shoulder, muzzle down. Left hand grabs barrel and pulls, right hand grabs action and your ready to go.
    When not needed its out of the way. Pistol grip or full stock is up to you.

Don't take a boy to do a man's job.

Ohh and practice. Practice getting it into action from strange postures and situations.
    Practice reloading.
    When you've run out the tube magazine practice throwing single rounds in the action and slam it shut, shoot it, rack it open, repeat.

And if you only get one shot, well its a lot better shot. And it might scare a cat off, which would be a win win.
    That sounds a bit backwards from how I've always done it. Muzzle down on LEFT side.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

50% chance you escape damage while walking with girlfriend. Which one of you is fastest ?

I carry a 4” 357 mag Smith 66 with 162 cast RCBS over H-110 in an Andrews cross draw rig. But I also carry a 6 mm AR-15 in my cart rack in plane sight, when out and about on my tree farm. You never know what you may come across in our 80 acre woods.
    As folks clear cut around, the critters move to our woods.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master

1- take a runny little dog 2- wear a ski type cap with eyes sewn on the back. They say big cats hit people from behind and the eyes put them off. See debate above for guns above. I like the 45 1911, but few peeps argue with a 12 ga pump either.

Once sitting around the coals of a dying campfire late at night in the Huron National Forest our Samoyed/Husky mix popped his head up, ears pricked forward and his head slowly tracked the edge of the clearing we were in from left to right. I was very very glad I kept a little pile of twigs by the fire because I tossed the whole handful in and commenced blowing coals to flame really quickly.

Most likely "threat" would have been coyotes, but the area does have bear. Or my least favorite camp critter after skunks the raccoon. That dog killed skunks with a vengeance, most times just getting a little splattered but still stank. Hated racoons too. Got nailed on the muzzle by the first one he tangled with and I guess figured they were all related so going after any raccoon would do to payback for his scar. Only brought one porcupine into camp. Plucking quills from his mouth and muzzle was an experience. Yes he carried the thing in by the throat.

I like a dog in the woods but they can sometimes add to the adventure in unexpected ways. Still I never worried about being surprised with that dog along and he had good trail manners off leash. He also never brought a charging moose or elk back to camp I'm thankful to say. I usually don't pack enough spare shorts for that adventure.

That would be my one concern with buckshot. Dog getting too close to the target trying to challenge or protect putting it at risk for stray shot. Especially if mixing it up with coyotes. Which mostly avoid humans with guns but have been known to ambush dogs.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master

As a frequent traveler in areas where our place on top of the food chain ain’t cut and dry- take this advice for what you paid for it.
    Whatever you already have is sufficient for a cat- skill and reaction time are what sounds to be lacking - congratulations ! You had an encounter with a superior predator and not only didn’t get hurt which is extremely rare- look at the numbers , gonna win the lottery meet the love of your life and get struck by lightning twice before getting mauled by a painter’ cat.
    But you did take stock of equipment attitude skills training ect. You are already ahead of where you started- so again congratulations!
    I’ve had 3 close encounters with a big cat- one we stumbled on each other - me looking for deer and him as well- a quick staring contest and he left with such speed my eyes couldn’t follow what happened .
    Second time I was following a wounded coyote- and I think he crossed the blood
    Trail and decided it smelled like easy dinner. Again once he saw me he was gone so fast I had to question what really happened.
    3rd time packing out an elk- one trip 2 or 3 saw fresh tracks- over our tracks- and on trip 4or 5 saw just a quick glimpse of a big cat going over a rim wall. All three times I was actively hunting and heavily armed and still felt my chances of coming out on top less than 50/50. Especially the time with elk meat strapped to my back in deep snow!
    Yep it’s amazing and humbling to come across one , and a reminder the whole
    World isn’t just beer and skittles- but predators lurk Everywhere!

Super Moderator

We have a lot of both mountain lions and black bears here in Northern Arizona. The closest encounter I have ever had was actually with a bear. I was glassing for elk at the edge of a canyon and suddenly heard panting right behind me, sounded just like a dog. When I turned around the bear was only about 20 yards away! I never heard him coming, he was that quiet. I yelled some profanities at him, and he took off like a scalded cat. There's a well known hiking trail only 1/4 mile from our house, and a mountain lion once plucked a small dog that was being walked on a leash. Game & Fish hunted that one down and killed him. They are mostly fearful of humans, and tend to avoid them. Having said all that, my ideal sidearm would be a 357 Magnum revolver. Gotta watch out for the hostile 2 legged predators too, you're probably more likely to be confronted with those than a lion or bear.

Boolit Master
    Close to da Creaux,Hang'n out in Swamp's and Bayou's
    We have new arrivals here,The Florida strain Panthers are migrating across the south.
    The other strain here most people cant handle.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by shooterg View Post
    50% chance you escape damage while walking with girlfriend. Which one of you is fastest ?
    Now thats a funny take on the subject. The next one would be how much he is actually invested in her.

Boolit Master

You could always try hand to claw combat like this guy: https://www.kktv.com/content/news/Ma...505333641.html

Several years back I read an article about a CO who was practicing turkey calling in preparation for a competition. He was noted for his calling skill. Must have been pretty good as a mountain lion homed in on his calling and attacked him.

Boolit Master

A truly scary moment in the woods: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvSUuWYCGxo Cougar Stalks man - SAVAGE Attack in Utah!

FWIW: In my neck of the woods it is possible to run into mountain lions, black bears, and wolves. When packing meat out, my sidearm of choice is a 4" .44 Magnum with 250 gr. Keith bullets.
    Remember: Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

Boolit Master

A good quality fixed-blade knife worn on the belt can be a tool, a hatchet, and a great weapon in a wrestling match, if a person is knocked to the ground expectantly while in the woods by any attacker. I like my Kabar and my Buck 119. A good fixed blade is truly "do-all" tool when in the woods.

Any sidearm is good, and a good knife compliments the package while out in the boondocks.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    For those recommending dogs, dogs have a rather disconcerting habit of running into danger, and bringing it back to you for help!
    This right here!

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master
    2 legged ginseng stealing critters are the worst predators in my neck of the woods this time of year. I carry a 357 mag with 158 grain gold dots.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickok View Post
    A good quality fixed-blade knife worn on the belt can be a tool, a hatchet, and a great weapon in a wrestling match, if a person is knocked to the ground expectantly while in the woods by any attacker. I like my Kabar and my Buck 119. A good fixed blade is truly "do-all" tool when in the woods.

Any sidearm is good, and a good knife compliments the package while out in the boondocks.
    Knives don't run out of bullets on you, either. You can't just stand there and point it at something and expect them to back off, necessarily, but as long as you're holding it, you're dangerous, too. Not that I'd want to tackle a big cat with a knife, but if that's all I've got left, it beats spitting at it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAlofPa. View Post
    A lot of folks here in Pa . Mistake bobcats for cougars.
    So in your experience you’ve seen a lot of Bobcats running down deer?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bmi48219 View Post
    You could always try hand to claw combat like this guy: https://www.kktv.com/content/news/Ma...505333641.html

Several years back I read an article about a CO who was practicing turkey calling in preparation for a competition. He was noted for his calling skill. Must have been pretty good as a mountain lion homed in on his calling and attacked him.
    Doh!

Boolit Master
    My neighbor took the photo last week behind our houses. I thought the deer were hanging a little close to the house.

You can debate all you want whether you will have time to use a gun. To me it's not relevant. A gun changes your attitude and that may be enough. If you don't behave like prey then you won't be prey and you will have something to do if 'it hits the fan.

I have cougar around both of my places and bear up north. I decided early on I wouldn't be disciplined enough to pick up the 12ga every time I went out but a revolver on my hip I could get used to. I wear one of 2, 4 inch 44Mags with Keith #503s loaded to 1300 fps, not a rifle but close.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CatTrax.jpg  
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master

To the OP I noted that the cat ran off as soon as he saw the two humans.

Second noted she was prepared but you sure were not. Failure on your part.

For future I suggest easy answer CARRY yours with you along with her carrying.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast