Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad DataTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWidenersRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything

Thread: 9mm Glock 19 and 26 with Lee 356-120-TC

9mm Glock 19 and 26 with Lee 356-120-TC

Just finished first ladders for 9mm cast PC boolits in Glock 19 and Glock 26. Wanted to share some numbers for reference.

Boolits were cast with my homemade concoction derived from the Lead Calculator. I’ve had real good luck with zero leading in my 10mm. SN 1; SB 2.57; PB 96.4

PC was tumbled with Smoke’s Yellow Green. Had some issues with coating, but they were fully coated so I proceeded. See posts in Coatings section. Not sure if I had leading or powder smears. One pull with bore snake yielded mirror clean.

Load Data
    Within SAAMI specs and SAFE in MY Glock 19 and Glock 26. Always reduce and work up!

Cases: Blazer
    Primers: CCI 500
    Powder: WSF
    Bullet: Lee 356-120-TC and PC; weighed out 124-125gr.
    COAL: 1.080” kerplunk

Ladder
    G19 G26
    4.2 1002 fps. 964 fps.
    4.5 1038 fps. 1005 fps.
    4.8 1095 fps. 1055 fps.
    5.1 1126 fps. 1084 fps.

No signs of pressure on any load.

I’ll reload 50 and have PC’d some more boolits. These fresh PC boolits were also quenched. Will retest for possible leading. Want to get this right!

Again, as I’ve said before, there’s a ton of good information here and some great folks to help along the way! Glad I’m here!

PS - Both pistols slugged at .356 and are sized after PC to .357.
    Last edited by Cast10; 10-15-2021 at 08:29 AM.

Fired some of the second batch boolits today at the ranch. 5 rounds yielded the same light black deposits. A white dry patch yielded no leading. One spray with MPro cleaner and the same white patch yielded a mirror finish barrel. I’d say No Leading.

I went and looked at your post in the coating section, looks like what you're calling yellow-green is john deere green.

JD green is my go-to pc anymore. When I 1st bought powders to pc bullets with I bought pink (for the misses), red and jd green. The thinking was pink bullets/loads for the misses. JD green bullets/loads for bullets cast out of range scrap and hard cast bullets would be coated red.

Well, it didn't take long to simply grab a color and do up batches of bullets the day's I'd be pc'ing bullets. The pink pc took 2 coats to get complete coverage. The red and JD green would cover with 1 coat. Different bullets coated at different times using a thermometer/15min cure time @ 400*.

These were coated the same day last year using a pid controler with the temp set @ 400* for 20 minutes
    [IMG][/IMG]

Ended up tossing the pink, too much trouble putting 2 coats on. Pretty much stick with the JD green anymore. When I 1st started pc'ing bullets I used a thermometer and set the oven to 400*. When it hit temp I'd put a batch of room temp bullets in and bake them for 15 minutes. A lot of my pc'd bullets came out looking like yours with a layered/wavy look to the pc instead of a smooth even coat. The wavy pc coating didn't affect the bullets performance but I'd get a little more fouling and an odd smell every now and then with my pc'd bullets.

This is what a 9mm/1911 looked like with a 500+ round range session using a 125gr cast/coated bullet (8/9bhn cast from range scrap) with a 1150fps load. As you can see there is a lite powder fouling on the face of the bbl along with a pink hue/coloration from under cured pink bullets.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Took the bbl out of the 1911 and took this picture. The bright light makes the bbl look shiny. It actually a grey powder fouling. But you can clearly see there is no leading, the lands have crisp clean edges.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Wet 1 patch with hoppe's #9 and cleaned the bbl with it. Then used 1 dry patch and called it good.
    [IMG][/IMG]

When the cast/pc'd bullets are done correctly and seated so the coating isn't scrapped off. Leading is a non issue & if you do see leading it's because something mechanically removed/scrapped the pc off of the bullet.
    Last edited by Forrest r; 10-17-2021 at 09:48 AM.

Super write-up Forrest_r! Thanks!

So you cook them at 400 for 15 minutes?

My barrels have black streaking in the grooves, not grey. Come clean quick! I really appreciate your barrel pics!
    I’m going to continue my load development and will try the 15 min on PC cure. I’m convinced I have no leading and will monitor as I shoot. Thanks!

I'm sorry just went back and corrected my post.

Was baking with a thermometer for 15 minutes @ 400* with cold/room temp bullets.

Switched to a pid controller and bake the cold/room temp bullets for 20 minutes @ 400*. The extra 5 minutes is to get the bullets up to the 400* temp and them the baking of the pc starts/15 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Forrest r View Post
    I'm sorry just went back and corrected my post.

Was baking with a thermometer for 15 minutes @ 400* with cold/room temp bullets.

Switched to a pid controller and bake the cold/room temp bullets for 20 minutes @ 400*. The extra 5 minutes is to get the bullets up to the 400* temp and them the baking of the pc starts/15 minutes.
    Ok. I do mine for 20-30 minutes depending upon the size/caliber. I actually did these at total time 25 minutes at 400. My convection oven drops off to about 350 when loading bullets and has to recover. Not more than 5 or 10 minutes.