Load DataInline FabricationReloading EverythingWideners
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Repackbox Snyders Jerky

Thread: What model 1899 is this?

Boolit Buddy

What model 1899 is this?

I have tried a few times but haven't found a match to a model designation. I believe the serial# 75XXX puts manufacture at 1908. It is a takedown with 22" round barrel, straight butt stock with crescent plate, and chambered in 303 Savage. It had been refinished which made the cost reasonable as I'm a shooter not a collector. Thanks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0418.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	137.5 KB 
ID:	290243

It looks to be an 1899-F, which became available in 1907 with a 22" or 26" round barrel instead of the previous 20" barrel.

Many receivers were stamped with the model letter, on the front face of the receiver.

This is my similar solid-frame 1914 Model 1899-H Lightweight .303 w/20" fast taper bbl.

Last edited by pietro; 10-14-2021 at 09:57 PM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master

Those are deer hunting machines there.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Super Moderator

They certainly are deer hunting machines. My late father hunted with one passed down by his father, also a 303 Savage. Unfortunately, a bitter divorce from his 4th or 5th wife prevented any of us sons from inheriting much of anything.

Boolit Master
    Hard to say. Could be an 1899H with a special order butt plate, could be a M1899A takedown which had its barrel shortened, could be an 1899A Short Rifle takedown. It's the crescent butt plate that has me a tad confused.

Boolit Buddy
    Over on the SavageShooters forum the Model F is described as a Saddle Ring Carbine but if -F was also available in rifle length in 1907 that would negate that description. There's only a "2" on the front of the receiver and I saw the model designation wasn't added here until after WWII. The crown looks original as it isn't really a crown but just flat so doesn't appear cut down. Yes gnoahh, that's why I'm here. Boy they sure had lots of different models! Any other ideas?