Load DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionRepackboxReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommendation for Gas Check Maker

Boolit Mold

Question Recommendation for Gas Check Maker

I have searched the internet for gas checks for 30 cal. boolits but cannot find any in stock . The gas checks will be used with boolits cast from Lee 312 155 mold, and others as I add to my collection. I have given up on finding gas checks so now I'm in search of a GC maker for 30 Cal. I am asking for real life experience from those who own and use GC makers and their recommendations so that I can purchase my own.
    Last edited by RufusBuck; 10-15-2021 at 02:22 PM.
    There are no dangerous weapons; There are only dangerous men.

Robert A Heinlein

I like mine from pat marlins. Does the job.
    “It is not enough that we do our best; sometimes we must do what is required.”
    ― Winston S. Churchill

Boolit Bub
    If you buy from patmarlin, buyer beware that there is currently a backorder (of at least 8 months) and he doesn't give refunds, nor does he tell you where you stand in regards to your order.

There are other options out there........

Boolit Buddy
    I was looking for some online last night.

https://www.sagesoutdoors.com/30-7-6...er-gas-checks/

I just checked and they have them in stock (copper). $25/1000 At least their site says they have them in stock.

Boolit Master
    Just ordered some from Sages, this week. 30 cal .017 thick copper. Same thickness as my Hornadys measure. Their on the way USPS. Almost half the price of the unavailable Hornadys. Now I will find out how good they are. If they are decent, Sages will have a regular customer.

Boolit Mold
    I guess I was too last. Sage says not available.
    There are no dangerous weapons; There are only dangerous men.

Robert A Heinlein

Boolit Buddy
    I think there's someone on facebook selling a one stroke gas check maker. Do a search and you should be able to find it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bob15 View Post
    If you buy from patmarlin, buyer beware that there is currently a backorder (of at least 8 months) and he doesn't give refunds, nor does he tell you where you stand in regards to your order.

Heed Bob's message.

Boolit Buddy
    Sharpshooter is selling check makers, but only in a couple of pistol calibers last I looked.

Will say this, I ordered a percussion cap maker from them and got it in five days..........quality is great and it works as described.

Boolit Buddy
    I have several sets of GC makers that were made using the plans provided by Idz. All work great and utilize inexpensive aluminum flashing coil stock. You might just want to consider making/having a set(s) made,

Quote Originally Posted by dogrunner View Post
    Sharpshooter is selling check makers, but only in a couple of pistol calibers last I looked.

Will say this, I ordered a percussion cap maker from them and got it in five days..........quality is great and it works as described.
    yeah...but the 45 gas check maker needed some touching up on my lathe, I ordered one but by the time I got it I had already made one for an experiment with "high walled" gas checks. Maybe I was the unlucky one. Im going to making my own from now on. Its a "boring" job on the lathe.
    “It is not enough that we do our best; sometimes we must do what is required.”
    ― Winston S. Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by bob15 View Post

I'd love to hear more about those other options for a .30 cal check maker. I need one too.

Boolit Buddy
    Here's the web site for another manufacturer. A few threads below also has some photos. https://www.mattesonsmachineshop.com/shop/

Moderator Emeritus

Here is a discussion thread that I believe included the Matteson machine referenced above and plans to make one. Good

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...or-Check-Maker

Anything that is a single stroke

Quote Originally Posted by Duckdog View Post
    Here's the web site for another manufacturer. A few threads below also has some photos. https://www.mattesonsmachineshop.com/shop/
    +1

He did have a backlog earlier this year. Think it took 3-4 months to get mine. Work great. Very reasonable cost.
    Life's too short to hunt with an ugly gun

Boolit Bub
    Went ahead and ordered one in .308. .223 was out of stock.

Pat Marlins are good but he is a one man show, not a lot of free time to spend answering emails on "when will mine be done". I like his for the fact they were made to fit a O press and I have one of those already on the bench. The one stroke ones available at the time required a $60 Arbor Press from Harbor Freight. Not a big spend but bench didn't have another open spot, and to be honest the shelves were getting a little crowded too.

If you decide to cut your own strips from aluminum flashing be sure to get a soft aluminum. There is info on Pat Marlins site on what you can use from Ace Hardware and what to avoid at big box home improvement stores.

You will probably also want a paper cutter. These can cut through aluminum easily and allow setting a stop on the bench to do repeated cuts of strips in the right width. I got a cutter from Harbor Freight. It was pretty cheap. Used some wood blocks to locate it on a bench. Then screwed down a stop to slide the flashing to for cut off.

Unless one sets up with single stroke check maker and possibly air driven, as well as having the aluminum split into strips the length of the roll so you can have a continuous feed it is a lot of time and work to make gas checks. Little fiddly things that I find I would much rather buy IF and WHEN they are available!

Check maker is for me an insurance policy. Instead of having to stock checks like primers by the thousands I'm able to make my own when circumstances require it. I put up with the slow production and my always dropping the things because it provides me some independence. I would still pay for them before making them unless prices were higher or what I need isn't available. Making checks is what can make trimming brass seem like a rocking good time.

Be aware punching aluminum with a check maker can really shake a small bench. Take that into account when planning where to work.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Mold
    After my shoulder surgery I found the lee hand press lightly clamped in vice upside down and a light rap on hand lever popped them right out with way less shaking and stress, bonus as well is checks fell right into container I put underneath. Used regular press then for setting/sizing.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post

Check maker is for me an insurance policy. Instead of having to stock checks like primers by the thousands I'm able to make my own when circumstances require it. I put up with the slow production and my always dropping the things because it provides me some independence. I would still pay for them before making them unless prices were higher or what I need isn't available. Making checks is what can make trimming brass seem like a rocking good time.

Be aware punching aluminum with a check maker can really shake a small bench. Take that into account when planning where to work.
    Yep,copper is even harder.

I got 30 and 44 makers. The whole room shakes and things fall from the shelves, I also broke a CH press right away. I'm thinking makers as emergency tools, I have a Rock Chucker and Redding Big Boss... I'm sacrificing Rock Chucker for checks now. It will loosen up very soon with all that force needed.

But I'm getting the best checks with a bit thicker copper...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast