Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyPBcastcoRepackbox
Load DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recommendation for Gas Check Maker

Boolit Grand Master

That's the reason I went with the Ed Smith single stroke check maker. It can be used with a press, a mallet or arbor press. So far I am using a mallet to make checks from ~ 0.019" old aluminum gutter. I made the check maker to suit 0.014" material so I knew I would be drawing deeper cups and figured it would be hard on a press so decided to go with the mallet for now and maybe buy an arbor press later.

So far I have made check makers for .30 cal. and .44 cal., both work well.

The IDZ design is also a good one but is for press only unless the design is altered.

Both these are "Do it yourself" or hire a machinist though. Complete plans for both are on this site so no problem there, just how you get it made is an issue if you don't have a lathe or don't know anyone with a lathe who will make one for you. If there is enough interest maybe a group buy would get some made?

Longbow

Boolit Buddy
    I have three from Pat Marlins only one of the three cut a smooth disk the other two aren't worth the money and waited over 8 months to get them .would not buy another from him , his customer service sucks as well . buyer beware

Boolit Bub
    I got an update on my order from Pat Marlins ,22 and .30 gas check maker is suppose to be here tomorrow. I ordered a .30 cal gas check maker from Mattersons last week. Looking forward to making gas checks.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by markmars View Post
    I got an update on my order from Pat Marlins ,22 and .30 gas check maker is suppose to be here tomorrow. I ordered a .30 cal gas check maker from Mattersons last week. Looking forward to making gas checks.

Curious 'bout how long it took.......had a .30 on order since 01 August.......??

Boolit Bub
    i have built 4 check makers. all ed smith design single stroke.built a 22 caliber, 243, 270, and 30 caliber check makers. i make mine so the check is a snug fit on the shank of the bullet.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by dogrunner View Post
    Curious 'bout how long it took.......had a .30 on order since 01 August.......??
    March of last year USPS still has mine and states there is a delay.

Quote Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
    I have three from Pat Marlins only one of the three cut a smooth disk the other two aren't worth the money and waited over 8 months to get them .would not buy another from him , his customer service sucks as well . buyer beware
    yup

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by markmars View Post
    March of last year USPS still has mine and states there is a delay.
    Well I got my shipping notice from PM yesterday........five and a half months to the day from the order date!..............I'll post on how it turned out.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by RufusBuck View Post
    I have searched the internet for gas checks for 30 cal. boolits but cannot find any in stock . The gas checks will be used with boolits cast from Lee 312 155 mold, and others as I add to my collection. I have given up on finding gas checks so now I'm in search of a GC maker for 30 Cal. I am asking for real life experience from those who own and use GC makers and their recommendations so that I can purchase my own.
    I’ve found gas checks available at Sage’s outdoors every time I’ve looked. Both copper and aluminum. I’m still gonna get checkmakers for the calibers I use, just in case. Harles
    Just refreshed my memory! Check out, Mattesons gas check maker. Haven’t tried him yet, but I plan to soon. Harles
    Last edited by Harles Dawson; 01-22-2022 at 02:34 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12