WidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLoad DataLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything

Thread: Cleanup ??lead spatter and lead spilled on outdoor patio

Boolit Mold

Cleanup ??lead spatter and lead spilled on outdoor patio

Need info to try to clean up or remove lead spatter on outdoor patio concrete

Boolit Bub
    Ice pick and shop-vac.
    very tedious but it worked

Boolit Master
    I have some, was gonna try power washer, and if that doesn’t get it then drop some dry ice on it and try to pick it off.

Super Moderator

I have used a singe edged razor blade to get under the edge of the spatter and pry it up. Once you get it started it will usually peel easily, unless the surface is really rough. Kneepads are your friend!

Boolit Master

I use a 1/4" sheet of plywood under my casting area. No clean up required.

I've used a single edge razor blade in the past.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Grand Master

I use a 3" wide paint scrapper and a 5/16" screwdriver to scrape up spills. I mostly use a scrap sheet of 3/4" plywood to set my melting set-up on. The plywood saves time down on my knees!

Banned

My barn floor is turning into a nice, speckled, silvery grey patina. I can lift it and make some boolits if needed. Actually, on the barn floor, if I leave a good coat of dirt, the lead drippings are easily swept up. They don't stick to dirt! ........or sand or sawdust.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    I use a 1/4" sheet of plywood under my casting area. No clean up required.

I'm cheap.............I use cardboard.

Winelover

Moderator Emeritus

I've had a few splatters -- e.g., NOT a zillion -- and for those I had I simply melted splatter with flame from a Bernzomatic torch; then "rolled it" with a damp sponge, and pick-up was easy. I tried using a lead ingot spotted against melted splatter, too, but this worked only marginally... the sponge worked best.
    geo

Quote Originally Posted by winelover View Post
    I'm cheap.............I use cardboard.

Winelover
    Not cheap. Thrifty because I'm not cheap, and I use cardboard too. I am affordable and a little easy when in my cups however. I like to think that is why wife keeps whiskey in the pantry And it's not so I will fall asleep in the recliner so she can have the remote.

I have had some splats but my concrete is generally dusty and by the time anything gets from table top to floor it has cooled a bit so it splats but doesn't melt in.

I would give the wet sponge and torch approach a try. Seems like it would be the least work for lots of little spats if they were embedded in the concrete. Big stuff as others have said you get an edge started and it will generally just peel off.

I found the peeling when a 2 lb. ingot resting on an melter edge had the end melt off and dropped in with a splash and one time when I stacked ingots in the pot and miscalculated amount and when it melted the pot overflowed. 20 lb. pot is 20 pounds of lead. Lyman #2 is bulkier than lead for the same weight. Ergo 20 pounds of L2 doesn't fit in a 20 pound lead pot. I have scientific proof in a repeatable experiment you are welcome to try on your own.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat